Pete Rose

In sports they are.

People do drugs to play better.

Betters throw games to make money.

Understand the difference?

BTW, Rose admitted he bet on games he was managing, he claims he was betting on his team to win. Nobody will ever know if that is the truth, but it's clear it effects the integrity of the game.

I see.... And drugs absolutely IMPROVE the integrity of the game.... Got it.... You've heard of Gooden and Strawberry, just to mention a couple, right? One can only imagine what Mantle's stats might have been if he hadn't partied so much every night, given what they were as a party animal....

Yes, I understand completely the difference....

Let's suppose, as someone pointed out to me, that Rose bet on his team to win on Tuesday, and in Monday's game he kept the starter in well beyond the point he reasonably should have in order to save his relievers for Tuesday's game. That would mean that he threw a game he didn't bet on in order to win a game he did bet on, but with no legal consequences for the Monday game and no one the wiser.

Now, you want to tell me again how different all this makes it?
You are arguing to no purpose, I have said before you started posting here they should have banned all the juicers.

In any case, that is irrelivent to Rose, who knew full well that gambling was the one thing baseball never tolerates.

Rose knew full well that if he gambled on baseball while a manager he risked a lifetime ban, and he did it anyway.

End of story.

Not quite, since the argument is not without purpose. There are two different arguments in the Rose saga.

1.) Should he be allowed back in baseball?
2.) Should he be allowed in the Hall of Fame?

I'm not sure which you're arguing, or it you're arguing both.

Campy's Pete Rose Page

In sports they are.

People do drugs to play better.

Betters throw games to make money.

Understand the difference?

BTW, Rose admitted he bet on games he was managing, he claims he was betting on his team to win. Nobody will ever know if that is the truth, but it's clear it effects the integrity of the game.

I see.... And drugs absolutely IMPROVE the integrity of the game.... Got it.... You've heard of Gooden and Strawberry, just to mention a couple, right? One can only imagine what Mantle's stats might have been if he hadn't partied so much every night, given what they were as a party animal....

Yes, I understand completely the difference....

Let's suppose, as someone pointed out to me, that Rose bet on his team to win on Tuesday, and in Monday's game he kept the starter in well beyond the point he reasonably should have in order to save his relievers for Tuesday's game. That would mean that he threw a game he didn't bet on in order to win a game he did bet on, but with no legal consequences for the Monday game and no one the wiser.

Now, you want to tell me again how different all this makes it?
You are arguing to no purpose, I have said before you started posting here they should have banned all the juicers.

In any case, that is irrelivent to Rose, who knew full well that gambling was the one thing baseball never tolerates.

Rose knew full well that if he gambled on baseball while a manager he risked a lifetime ban, and he did it anyway.

End of story.

yes but what about the hall of fame?

Should he be allowed in the hall of fame? should he be allowed to manage again?

At least Pete Rose wasn't on steroids when he was making the bets. I say, let him in the Hall of Fame. I believe his statistics are probably more honest than many that are posted these days. I think he deserves HOF status. As far as managing a team again, probably not a good idea. Two to one, he probably never gets in...

Even though he broke the taboo, holiest of holies golden rule, and that 99% of players found out to be gambling on the sport I wouldn't blink an eye at from banning from the Hall of Fame,, I believe there are exceptions to every rule.

Pete Rose is one of the greatest hitters baseball has ever seen. I think in Rose's case they should come to the conclusion that he made a very serious and life-altering mistake. He should hold an official press conference apologizing once again to the fans and Selig should suck it up and let a legend who helped shape the sport into his rightful place in history.

Should he be allowed in the hall of fame? should he be allowed to manage again?

At least Pete Rose wasn't on steroids when he was making the bets. I say, let him in the Hall of Fame. I believe his statistics are probably more honest than many that are posted these days. I think he deserves HOF status. As far as managing a team again, probably not a good idea. Two to one, he probably never gets in...

Rose did nothing worse than Ty Cobb did.If Cobb is allowed in the hall of fame then Rose should be as well.they freaking better not let steroid freaks Bonds,Mcguire and Clemons in the hall. cause yeah,at least Rose wasnt on steroids when making bets.His rightful place in history is the hall as most baseball fans agree.

Maybe they should have a separate closet of infamy. He can share with Joe Jackson and the like.

I don't think I would hire him to manage.

I remember watching him play. He was something really special. A throwback to Damon Runyon and Ring Lardner, but it was really cool watching the guy work.

Forum List

Back