Pete Rose probably would have broke Joe Dimaggio's record

LIttle history lesson here, not chronological.

Pete Rose AGREED with the commissioner of baseball, Bart Giamatti, that he should be banned from MLB. He accepted the punishment because he BET ON HIS OWN TEAM while a manager. The players and managers are trained several times EVERY YEAR about how harmful it is for players to get involved in any way in gambling on the sport. He waited to start complaining about the HoF until Giamatti was dead, knowing that Giamatti would cut Rose's balls off if he had complained while Bart was still alive. Nevertheless, The banishment from MLB DOES NOT prevent him from being elected to the HoF. It is the individual voters - mainly sports writers, eh? - who are keeping him out.

It is a little bit "fishy" that Joe D had his 56 game hitting streak and Ted W batted .401 in the same year. The season ended before Pearl Harbor, but one wonders if the pitching staffs were depleted by players enlisting in the military service. I don't have the actual data, but this is a huge coincidence, is it not? Two unique, unbeatable records set in the same year.

Rose is certainly entitled to be in the HoF based on his baseball resume. His hit total is inflated because he played long after he should have hung up his cleats, but the numbers don't lie.
I would like to see him inducted into the H of F........He is famous for both the good and the bad.

Unfortunately one of the most flawed human beings in the history of sports! He not only wasn't contrite when busted, like Trump today he flaunted it; actually exposing the worst of himself in a bad Bio pic I saw! :aargh: :blahblah: :cranky: :eusa_whistle:

I say that he probably would have BECAUSE after he left the Reds and went to the Phillies,he wrote a book about his career with the Reds. The night his hitting streak ended,he was facing a pitcher from the Atlanta Braves he had never faced before named Gene Garber who stopped his hitting streak at 46 games,ten shy of Diamond Joe.

In his book,I remember reading that during his hitting streak,he sad that he hoped that he would not have to face a pitcher he had never faced before since if he never faced them before,he didnt have an idea what they liked to pitch. He said he hated facing a pitcher for the first time. Well Gene Garber was that pitcher he had never faced in his career before on that night when he went o for 4.

Had he not faced a pitcher in Garber that he had never faced before,I have to believe that as long as he kept facing pitchers he had faced before,he would have broken the record.

I mean i have the playoffs on tape when he was with the Phillies and the playoff games were against the Houston Astros and in the game that Nolan Ryan started,who was always a nightmare for hitters,he mowed down all the Phillies hitters only giving up like 4 hits the whole game the Astros won. and to no surprise, Rose was the ONLY hitter in the lineup who a hit off Ryan in his FIRST at bat against him. I mean he hit Nolan RYAN. Ryan was not given the nickname the Ryan Express for nothing you know.Rose could hit the best of them. That was just his one weakness he had in hitting was facing a pitcher for the first time.

we of course will never know for sure if he would have broken it that year but it just makes you think WHAT IF? sucks not being able to know for sure what would have happened doesnt it?

Nobody will ever come as close to Joes record as Rose did.he was a hitting machine that had a passion for playing that game like no other baseball hitter ever in the game.
if he could hit the best of them he could of hit a pitcher he never faced before.....you sound like you wanted these guys to slow pitch to him so he could break the record.....

Nice dodgeball of how he was a hitting machine how he was the ONLY Phillies hitter in that playoff game against the astros who hit Ryan in his FIRST at bat and Ryan of course was so difficult to hit ESPECIALLY come playoff time,that to no surprise,it was only a single.

also in that playoff game,Rose faced knuckleballer Joe Niekro and struck out against him and Howard Cosell said the most true statement-That is something you rarely ever see Pete Rose do is strikeout.He just does not do that very often.

and uh,Im just posting what Rose HIMSELF said,dont shoot the messenger.

Im also just making a reasonable deduction based on the facts that ROSE gave, that I have to believe he would have broken the record had he been able to face pitchers he had faced for the next 11 games.:rolleyes:

I also dont know WHERE you came up with that delusion just based on the facts i gave from Rose himself,that I wanted those pitchers to slow pitch him.it takes all kinds.:cuckoo:

I GUARANTEE nobody will ever come as close to Diamond Joes record again as Rose did because incidenteally,now that you mention that delusion and warped theory you had about me wanting the pitchers to slow pitch him,"I'll never let you live that one down,":abgg2q.jpg:

since you brought up that theory about me,its ironic that you did because Rose ALSO said in his book in HIS own words as best as I remember. "Garber pitched me like it was the damn 7th game of the world series."

bout now that you mention that,I WILL say that I think that was a little extreme of Garber to act like that,that giving up a hit to Rose was like blowing the 7th game of the world series with a lead which is the way Garber treated that game..

that is another reason WHY nobody will ever come close as Rose did because I remember as he got closer in the high upper 30's and low 40's.pitchers that gave up the hit,MANY of them acted like they blew the 7th game of the world series,they would come into the dugout throwing their glove against the wall and kicking the water cooler and everything like they blew the world series or something.:abgg2q.jpg:

Dimaaggio never had to deal with pitchers taking it so serious about giving up all those hits when he got into the 40's and early 50's like rose did i GUARANTEE. no way did THEY act like giving up those hits was like giving up the winning hit in the 7th game of the world series,:rolleyes:

I of course never wanted the pitchers back then to slow pitch him like some nutcase here theorized. The pitchers should have been trying to get him out of course like ANY other batter but Garber sure as hell didnt have to freaking pitch to him in that game like it was the fucking 9th inning and the 7th game of the world series as Rose said he did.

That is why i can pretty much guarantee nobody will ever come close as Rose did to break Dimaggios hitting streak again because the closer Rose got to breaking Dimagios record,the pitchers started pitching him tougher and tougher because they did NOT want to be the pitcher that gave him the hit to him that would break Dimaggios record. as i said earlier,when Rose got closer to breaking the record getting up into the upper 30's and low 40's,the pitchers when they gave up a hit to him,they acted like they gave up the winning run in the 9th game of the world series kcining over water coolers and throwing baseball bats in the dugout and everything,they acted like it was the end of the world when they gave up a hit to him and he got closer.

it was a little extreme for garber to pitch to Rose to him like it was the 9th inning of the world series and it was for sure VERY extreme for pitchers to get so angry after giving up the hit that made him get higher into the upper 30[s and low 40's acting liek it was the end of the world.

that is WHY Dimmagios record will NEVER be broken or anyone will ever come as close as rose did because Rose was a hitting machine that could hit the best of them as i just proved in the OP. If they pitched to Rose,probably the best hitter to ever play the game as tough as they did when he got closer to tyng Joes record,you dont think they would do the same thing with the NEXT hitter that came that close who WONT be as great a hiiter as Rose was? Not happening Joes record is here to stay.

LIttle history lesson here, not chronological.

Pete Rose AGREED with the commissioner of baseball, Bart Giamatti, that he should be banned from MLB. He accepted the punishment because he BET ON HIS OWN TEAM while a manager. The players and managers are trained several times EVERY YEAR about how harmful it is for players to get involved in any way in gambling on the sport. He waited to start complaining about the HoF until Giamatti was dead, knowing that Giamatti would cut Rose's balls off if he had complained while Bart was still alive. Nevertheless, The banishment from MLB DOES NOT prevent him from being elected to the HoF. It is the individual voters - mainly sports writers, eh? - who are keeping him out.

It is a little bit "fishy" that Joe D had his 56 game hitting streak and Ted W batted .401 in the same year. The season ended before Pearl Harbor, but one wonders if the pitching staffs were depleted by players enlisting in the military service. I don't have the actual data, but this is a huge coincidence, is it not? Two unique, unbeatable records set in the same year.

Rose is certainly entitled to be in the HoF based on his baseball resume. His hit total is inflated because he played long after he should have hung up his cleats, but the numbers don't lie.

What kind of asshole would bet on his team to lose? I'm betting on my team to win! :113:

I say that he probably would have BECAUSE after he left the Reds and went to the Phillies,he wrote a book about his career with the Reds. The night his hitting streak ended,he was facing a pitcher from the Atlanta Braves he had never faced before named Gene Garber who stopped his hitting streak at 46 games,ten shy of Diamond Joe.

In his book,I remember reading that during his hitting streak,he sad that he hoped that he would not have to face a pitcher he had never faced before since if he never faced them before,he didnt have an idea what they liked to pitch. He said he hated facing a pitcher for the first time. Well Gene Garber was that pitcher he had never faced in his career before on that night when he went o for 4.

Had he not faced a pitcher in Garber that he had never faced before,I have to believe that as long as he kept facing pitchers he had faced before,he would have broken the record.

I mean i have the playoffs on tape when he was with the Phillies and the playoff games were against the Houston Astros and in the game that Nolan Ryan started,who was always a nightmare for hitters,he mowed down all the Phillies hitters only giving up like 4 hits the whole game the Astros won. and to no surprise, Rose was the ONLY hitter in the lineup who a hit off Ryan in his FIRST at bat against him. I mean he hit Nolan RYAN. Ryan was not given the nickname the Ryan Express for nothing you know.Rose could hit the best of them. That was just his one weakness he had in hitting was facing a pitcher for the first time.

we of course will never know for sure if he would have broken it that year but it just makes you think WHAT IF? sucks not being able to know for sure what would have happened doesnt it?

Nobody will ever come as close to Joes record as Rose did.he was a hitting machine that had a passion for playing that game like no other baseball hitter ever in the game.
if he could hit the best of them he could of hit a pitcher he never faced before.....you sound like you wanted these guys to slow pitch to him so he could break the record.....
The chance he got was-? :rolleyes:
i was commenting on the ram fan wanting it to be made easy for him to break the record.....

and I just got done proving that YOU were clueless in your ramblings and warped theory that I wanted them to make it easy for him,i just laid out the FACTS what Rose said,and you came up with this wild ass assumption and theory that I wanted them to make it easy for him after i was just posting what Rose said himself.:rolleyes:

I thought i made it perfectly clear in my OP,that it was my opinion that had Rose not faced a pitcher he had never faced before during that streak,Rose would have broken Dimaggios record. I would expect an idiot like Pooper or Unkotore or Grampa to say something retarded like that.:rolleyes:

whatever that has to do with a 56 game hitting streak is beyond me MM...

and however you ever pulled out of your ass that I wanted the pitchers to slow pitch to Rose from that OP of mine is beyond ME.:cuckoo::lmao::laughing0301:

Pete Rose had talent, moreso than Johnny Bench, true story.

True.But what does that have to do with the OP and what does that flyout in the world series have to do with it?

Last edited:

i was commenting on the ram fan wanting it to be made easy for him to break the record.....

and I just got done proving that YOU were clueless in your ramblings and warped theory that I wanted them to make it easy for him,i just laid out the FACTS what Rose said,and you came up with this wild ass assumption and theory that I wanted them to make it easy for him after i was just posting what Rose said himself.:rolleyes:

I thought i made it perfectly clear in my OP,that it was my opinion that had Rose not faced a pitcher he had never faced before during that streak,Rose would have broken Dimaggios record. I would expect an idiot like Pooper or Unkotore or Grampa to say something retarded like that.:rolleyes:

and however you ever pulled out of your ass that I wanted the pitchers to slow pitch to Rose from that OP of mine is beyond ME.:cuckoo::lmao::laughing0301:

True.But what does that have to do with the OP and what does that flyout in the world series have to do with it?
i must have really hit a soft spot with you....are you going to start crying next about what i said?...oh wait you already have....

i must have really hit a soft spot with you....are you going to start crying next about what i said?...oh wait you already have....

glad to see you admit you have reading comprehension problems.:abgg2q.jpg:

since you do have that problem,i see where you missed WHY i said NOBODY will ever come close as Rose did to breaking Joes record because since you DID mention that wildass theory,Rose mentioned that Garber pitched to him like it was the 9th inning of the 7th game of the world series.

I DO think like anybody else would that while I wanted Garber to try and get Rose out it WAS a little extreme to pitch to him like it was the 9th inning of the 7th game of the world series though pretty silly to act like he did like it was the end of the world if he gave up one hit.to him:rolleyes:Life goes on,Garber acted like if he gave up a hit to Rose,he was going to commit suicide or something.jesus christ,like i said,life goes on.its not the end of the word as Garber believed it was if he allowed a hit to Rose.yes try and get him out,but to act like its the end of the world if you dont,thats being way too extreme.:rolleyes:

that is WHY i GUARANTEE Dimaggios record will never be broken.

Last edited:
this is WHY nobody will ever some even as close to breaking Joes record as Rose did and WHY Dimaggios record is safe. It was not just Garber. I remember seeing on the highlights of news reports when that was going on.I was on vacation with my parents then and it was such big news,it would be broadcast on the tv at resteraunts we stopped by. It was the talk of the town everywhere we traveled.

It wasnt just Garber that took it personal if Rose got a hit. as soon as Rose got into the upper 30's and lover 40's,anytime he got a hit,pitchers would act like it was the end of the world,they would thrown bats and knock over the cooler when they got into the dugout.I guarantee they never acted like that when Dimaggio had HIS hitting streak.

Rose who was pretty much the best hitter to ever play the game it can be argued,played the game with a passion you will NEVER see from another ballplayer again and IF they did start getting as close to Rose did,you dont think they would take it personal and act like it was the end of the world if they gave up a hit to THEM as well? you KNOW they would. same as back then with Rose,they also would want to be the pitcher that stopped the streak which is WHY those pitchers acted like that when they got into the dugout when facing Rose back thent.:abgg2q.jpg: THEY wanted to be the pitcher that stopped the streak.they would do that in the future with the next hitter as well and he wont be as great a hitter as rose was.

that is ALSO why nobody will EVER break Roses all time hits record either. People dont realise that while its not hard to hit a baseball,how difficult it REALLY is trying to hit it where nobody can get it,that is WHY noboboy will ever break Dimaggios record or Roses record because of just how difficult it really is to hit the ball where the players cant get it.

As a Phillies fan i will tell you that they would not have won their first World Series without him. 99 years in the league before their 1st championship in 1980. He was dependable and rarely choked. He also played in the astro turf era which helped him with some hits. No matter his issues he is fondly remembered by many Phils fans.

Oh yeah indeed,the phils would NEVER have won their first world series title in 1980 without him. they would never have won the division and they for sure would not have beat the astros in the playoff game without him.

as i said before,he was the ONLY hitter that was able to hit Nolan Ryan in his FIRST at bat against him,none of the others could,he could hit the best of the best for sure.

true that astro turf helped him in a lot of his hits but like i said,he could hit the best of the best including hall of famers like Nolan Ryan who as i have said many times on this thread,was the ONLY hitter who got a hit off of him in his FIRST at bat in the first meeting when they faced him. He was always a tough out as he proved in that playoff game,where none of the others could hit him in their first at bat,HE found a way cause he could hit the best of the best.:)

the fact it is so difficult to get at least 200 hits a year for at least 20 years of playing the game,it is safe to say nobody will ever break his all time hitting streak same as nobody will ever break joe dimmagios 56 game hitting streak.

Pete Rose broke up more no hitters than any other player.

yep,that was WHY he was the best of the best,that and ALSO because he could HIT the best of the best as i talked about in my OP.

I know the least about baseball, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why this is the case; clutching up on the bat gave him supreme control to be a deadly contact hitter! Even if it meant dropping the ball down and beating it out to 1st, no-hitters weren't safe if he was coming to the plate! This coming from someone that has never been able to stand his guts! He's always been an a-hole and it never changed! :icon_sjung: :102: :321: :2cents:

Last edited:
Pete Rose broke up more no hitters than any other player.

yep,that was WHY he was the best of the best,that and ALSO because he could HIT the best of the best as i talked about in my OP.

I know the least about baseball, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why this is the case; clutching up on the bat gave him supreme control to be a deadly contact hitter! Even if it meant dropping the ball down and beating it out to 1st, no-hitters weren't safe if he was coming to the plate! This coming from someone that has never been able to stand his guts! He's always been an a-hole and it never changed! :icon_sjung: :102: :321: :2cents:

yeah he reminds me a lot of George Brett.another guy who was an A hole but a great hitter and one of the best as well. I live here in kc and i have heard from many people that have had encounters whit him he is a real asshole. Like if a kid asks him to sign his autograph,he will ask for $50.00 form them. you cant be a worse asshole than that.

so was wondering,do you agree with what i said in my OP,that had he not been facing a hitter he had never faced before which was his weakness,he would have broken Dimaagios record?

also dont you agree with me that was being way too extreme of the pitchers to act like they did back then when he got into the upper 30's and low 40's of hits,to throw bats and kick over water coolers if they gave up a hit to him wanting to be the pitcher that stopped the streak,that yeah pitch to him and try and get him out,but it was pretty stupid to act like it was the end of the world to give up a hit to him like they did?

one more question as well,dont you also agree that that was way extreme and going overboard for that pitcher that ended roses streak to pitch to him in his final at bat like it was the 9th inning of the world series? I mean sure try and get him out,but to pitch to him like it was the 9th inning of the world series to him like it was the end of the world for him if he did not get him out,dont you agree that thats a little extreme as well?:rolleyes:

Rose deserves a place in the Hall of Fame. :fu::funnyface:

Sure does

Baseball banned him for daring to Gamble on baseball

Now, you can go to almost any casino and bet on sports including gambling. Baseball makes money off of it

I tend to agree. Rose had a photographic memory when it came to pitchers.

As he indicates in this interview...he didn't guess. He looked for individual patterns.

As he indicates in this interview...he didn't guess. He looked for individual patterns.

wow that part i did NOT know about.it totally makes sense now why he did not like facing a pitcher for the first time like he did when he faced garber who broke his sitting streak.since he had never faced him before,he didnt know what kind of pattern to look for,man it all makes sense,that just further reinforces my belief there are no doubts now that had he kept facing a pitcher he had faced at least one before,he WOULD have broke dimaggios record,what do you think?

Ted Williams successfully reached base in 84 straight games in 1949

wow that part i did NOT know about.it totally makes sense now why he did not like facing a pitcher for the first time like he did when he faced garber who broke his sitting streak.since he had never faced him before,he didnt know what kind of pattern to look for,man it all makes sense,that just further reinforces my belief there are no doubts now that had he kept facing a pitcher he had faced at least one before,he WOULD have broke dimaggios record,what do you think?

Yeah...when you have a player with high of a game IQ...most definitely. Sad what happened to Pete...what a ballplayer.

your opinion only--not fact

Rose was one of the most consistent clutch hitters of my lifetime, so he probably could have
broken a bunch of records, but probably not this one;
Outfielder Ty Cobb, whose career ended in 1928, has the highest batting average in Major League Baseball (MLB) history.[1] He batted .366 over 24 seasons.

List of Major League Baseball career batting average leaders - Wikipedia
Different era......more slap hitters, the glove from that era sucked, fields weren’t in as good condition

Today’s game is swing for the fences. Not likely to get high career averages

Forum List

Back