PETA wants Punxsutawney Phil replaced with Robot Groundhog

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
It was just a few days ago that the animal rights group PETA suggested that the organizers of P-A's Groundhog Day festival replace Punxsutawney Phil with a robotic stand-in.

PETA says it's unfair to keep the animal in captivity and subject him to the huge crowds and bright lights that accompany tens of thousands of revelers each year on February second.

A lot of mid-staters feel that PETA is way, way off on this one. Way off.

We talked with people in downtown Harrisburg to get their reaction. "I know someone that has gone up and what is it? Thirty seconds that they take him out," said Diana Berry of Carlisle. "He looks fine."

Kathy Sitler of Dover says "The groundhog itself is warm and comfortable. It's in a secluded area. It's well fed and now they want to do a robot."

The WHTM Talkback forum was loaded with comments blasting PETA. This from G-Hart in Harrisburg--"Are they serious? This has been an american tradition since who knows when and they want to try to change it. PETA needs to focus on the people and groups that run dog-fighting rings, cockfights, etc. It sounds like a publicity stunt to me."

And there was this thought from Dagney in Marysville--"the animal rights group says its unfair to keep the animal in captivity and subject him to the huge crowds and brights lights. Yeah, they are so much cuter when they are squished in the middle of the road."

Midstaters Blast PETA for Wanting Robotic Groundhog|abc27 News

They'd want people to have robot pets also so no one would have the opportunity to abuse those sweet animals. Their idea would be just sterilize them all and give people robot pets.

I wonder if Groundhog tastes like chicken?
Rabbit and squirrel says the experts:
Kansas City - Fat City - Is groundhog edible?

The expert source on this subject is an article from the January 1984 edition of Mother Earth News, which says, "groundhogs are eminently edible and delicious... whistle-pigs are vegetarians. Thus, their meat, when properly prepared, is quite tasty and tender." Elsewhere, people describe the groundhog as tasting similar to squirrel or rabbit.

Recipes for groundhog are variations of squirrel recipes, with the addendum to cure the groundhog in salt water for 6 to 12 hours first and remove the scent glands on the back and forelegs. Also, I'm not sure what this says about groundhog eating, but most of the recipes seem to be from the mid-1970s, like this one for groundhog stew from 1973's Northern Cookbook:

ground hog is a black and greasy meat....pass it up....

I could go on for hours about the faults of peta. let me just say this about them....in nc...they 'rescued' animals from the shelters...the bodies of these animals were found in the dump...

PETA Trial (Day 8): Legal Technicalities

Peta Kills Animals

most of you reconized that i am an animal person.....peta fucking sucks...dont give them a mother fucking penny...donate to your local shelters.....not to national bullshit like this.....use your money locally where you can see how its used...

PETA FUCKING SUCKS.....DID I MENTION THAT...THEY KILL ANIMALS.....

These PETA people are crazy. Phil doesn't come out all fat and happy in February for no reason. That rodent is the town's golden goose, and it's pampered accordingly. For a full minute, maybe two, of disturbed sleep in a year? Puh-leeze.

And might I add, if you ever get the chance to party in Punxatawney on February 1st and 2nd it's a great time but break out the wool socks and bring plenty of liquid heat! :eek:

These PETA people are crazy. Phil doesn't come out all fat and happy in February for no reason. That rodent is the town's golden goose, and it's pampered accordingly. For a full minute, maybe two, of disturbed sleep in a year? Puh-leeze.

And might I add, if you ever get the chance to party in Punxatawney on February 1st and 2nd it's a great time but break out the wool socks and bring plenty of liquid heat! :eek:

It's like their New Years Eve and Super Bowl all rolled into one! :lol:

ground hog is a black and greasy meat....pass it up....

I could go on for hours about the faults of peta. let me just say this about them....in nc...they 'rescued' animals from the shelters...the bodies of these animals were found in the dump...

PETA Trial (Day 8): Legal Technicalities

Peta Kills Animals

most of you reconized that i am an animal person.....peta fucking sucks...dont give them a mother fucking penny...donate to your local shelters.....not to national bullshit like this.....use your money locally where you can see how its used...

PETA FUCKING SUCKS.....DID I MENTION THAT...THEY KILL ANIMALS.....
Hypocrisy at it's best.

1) According to government documents, PETA employees have killed more than 19,200 dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens since 1998. This behavior continues despite PETA’s moralizing about the “unethical” treatment of animals by farmers, scientists, restaurant owners, circuses, hunters, fishermen, zookeepers, and countless other Americans. PETA puts to death over 90 percent of the animals it accepts from members of the public who expect the group to make a reasonable attempt to find them adoptive homes. PETA holds absolutely no open-adoption shelter hours at its Norfolk, VA headquarters, choosing instead to spend part of its $32 million annual income on a contract with a crematory service to periodically empty hundreds of animal bodies from its large walk-in freezer.

Forum List

Back