PETA Blew This One - Compared Killing Animals To Killing And Torturing Blacks

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
NEW HAVEN — A two-hour animal rights demonstration on the Green Monday sparked outrage instead of sympathy from the public.

"This is the most racist thing I’ve ever seen on the Green. How dare you," roared Philip Goldson, 43, of New Haven at the protest organizers at Church and Chapel streets.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, a national animal rights group, posted giant photographs of people, mostly black Americans, being tortured, sold and killed, next to photographs of animals, including cattle and sheep, being tortured, sold and killed.

"I think it is an apt comparison," said Josh Warchol, 26, of Wallingford, president of the Southern Connecticut Vegetarian Society, which is aligned with PETA.

"We realize these images are hurtful. It’s hard for me to imagine the hurt the animals go through. We should be treating animals according to their own best interests, not to the best interests of people," said Dawn Carr, PETA’s director of special projects.

PETA wants people to stop eating animals, stop using them for clothing, stop forcing animals to entertain people (as in a circus) and stop animal experimentation.

Carr said she doesn’t want animals sold or treated as property either.

The controversial display, which is on a national tour, is intended to drive home PETA’s point.

However, critics said the organization’s demonstration backfired.

One man demanded that the NAACP get involved immediately. Five minutes later, Scot X. Esdaile, president of the state and Greater New Haven chapters of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, arrived at the scene, surveyed the photos and blasted the organizers.

"Once again, black people are being pimped. You used us. You have used us enough," Esdaile said. "Take it down immediately."

"I am a black man! I can’t compare the suffering of these black human beings to the suffering of this cow," said Michael Perkins, 47, of New Haven. He stood in front of a photo of butchered livestock hung next to the photo of two lynched black men dangling before a white mob.

"You can’t compare me to a freaking cow," shouted John Darryl Thompson, 46, of New Haven, inches from Carr’s face. "We don’t care about PETA. You are playing a dangerous game."

Paul Tomaselli, 46, of North Branford took exception to an exhibit that included a photo of a black man being beaten to the ground by a white man with a stick while a white mob gathers.

Next to that photo was one of a man chasing a seal across the snow with a club.

"I think he’s right," said Tomaselli, who is white, in support of Thompson. "To compare people to animals is an unfairness to people."

The display, "Are Animals the New Slaves?" is on a 10-week, 42-city tour that started in early July. Today’s stop: Scranton, Pa., then on to Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

"New Haven is important because of the Amistad. This is a place where slaves were brought. What happened here was very important for abolition. The next great liberation movement is animal liberation," Carr said.

However, the Anti-Defamation League, a national civil rights organization, has publicly condemned PETA’s use of photos comparing human suffering in the Holocaust to animal suffering today; PETA apologized in May for the hurt it caused but stood by the comparisons.

That point of disagreement became a flashpoint in New Haven.

"This is the most hostile audience we’ve had," said PETA volunteer Ben Godwin.

At one point, police hovered at the edge of the Green, across from the demonstration.

Eight of the 12 banners compared the suffering of black Americans to the suffering of cattle, sheep, an elephant, a seal and a rooster. Other banners showed Native Americans exiled from their homes, children in a factory and men in a counter-demonstration against women’s rights.

A photo showing a concentration camp inmate with a number tattooed across his emaciated chest was juxtaposed against a shot of a monkey in a laboratory with a number branded across its chest.

"I have relatives who were in concentration camps," said Alex Reznikoff, 47, of Newtown. "I think this detracts from PETA’s message. It doesn’t make me think about animals at all."

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15000578&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=517515&rfi=6

GotZoom said:
"You can’t compare me to a freaking cow," shouted John Darryl Thompson, 46, of New Haven, inches from Carr’s face. "We don’t care about PETA. You are playing a dangerous game."

On a side note. What i dont get is this quote? Why do all black people take it personal when someone degrades ANY Black person? Its not you they are degrading. White people dont get upset when another white person is degraded. Something i guess i'll never get is how gorwn people can get all bent out of shape when someone they dont even know is disrespected and it makes them feel disrespected.

Back on topic. PETA is a bunch of Beastialic nutcases. Im suprised they havent jumped on the suicide dog bombers being used in Iraq yet. Of course not it hurts the cause. Dont know how they didnt think this one through.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23978

insein said:
On a side note. What i dont get is this quote? Why do all black people take it personal when someone degrades ANY Black person? Its not you they are degrading. White people dont get upset when another white person is degraded. Something i guess i'll never get is how gorwn people can get all bent out of shape when someone they dont even know is disrespected and it makes them feel disrespected.

Back on topic. PETA is a bunch of Beastialic nutcases. Im suprised they havent jumped on the suicide dog bombers being used in Iraq yet. Of course not it hurts the cause. Dont know how they didnt think this one through.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23978

Because it is black against __________.

Everything is racial. Everything has a racial connotation. Everything is anti-black.

PETA wants people to stop eating animals, stop using them for clothing, stop forcing animals to entertain people (as in a circus) and stop animal experimentation

Well bully for them, unfortunatally humans are omnivores and can't survive on only veges without vitamin suppliments.

I could probably agree with them on circuses. Zoos do actually help because of captive breeding programs and getting people involved in conservation.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Trigg said:
PETA wants people to stop eating animals, stop using them for clothing, stop forcing animals to entertain people (as in a circus) and stop animal experimentation

Well bully for them, unfortunatally humans are omnivores and can't survive on only veges without vitamin suppliments.

I could probably agree with them on circuses. Zoos do actually help because of captive breeding programs and getting people involved in conservation.

We are using a resource. These PETA morons would have been dead thousands of years ago when we were hunter/gatherers. They wouldnt have had clothing or food or shelter because of their inability to hunt and kill animals. They would have been dead within a week.

insein said:
We are using a resource. These PETA morons would have been dead thousands of years ago when we were hunter/gatherers. They wouldnt have had clothing or food or shelter because of their inability to hunt and kill animals. They would have been dead within a week.

I have to agree why dont we send all the PETA people to hug a few lions or something. They can show the animals how much they are truely loved!!!!

I think everyone should watch the "South Park" episode where PETA come to town its is freaking hilarious..

Trigg said:
I have to agree why dont we send all the PETA people to hug a few lions or something. They can show the animals how much they are truely loved!!!!

I think everyone should watch the "South Park" episode where PETA come to town its is freaking hilarious..

That one was hillarious. It also had P Diddy and his vote or die campaign. That whole episode just destroyed so many people.

I saw a documentary on the way animals are treated in the production line (gruesome) and they had a rabbi on who compared animals in a train car to the trains taking Jews to concentration camp. So there are other mainstream people who think this way.

Personally I think God wouldn't have made animals taste so good if we weren't supposed to eat them. That said I would be in favor of much more hygenic controls on the manufacturing process of meat even if that means it would be more expensive. I would rather know that the meat I eat is humanely butchered and free range, free of pesticides and antibiotics.

nucular said:
I saw a documentary on the way animals are treated in the production line (gruesome) and they had a rabbi on who compared animals in a train car to the trains taking Jews to concentration camp. So there are other mainstream people who think this way.

Personally I think God wouldn't have made animals taste so good if we weren't supposed to eat them. That said I would be in favor of much more hygenic controls on the manufacturing process of meat even if that means it would be more expensive. I would rather know that the meat I eat is humanely butchered and free range, free of pesticides and antibiotics.

agreed with most of that-pesticides, free range etc, except the antibiotics part.

you do know what antibiotics do, right?

they rid the animal of potentially dangerous bacteria that cannot be eliminated during processing or cooking, as well as any contageous disease that could sicken a whole herd.

Think about it. Which countries allow antibiotic use in livestock? The US and some parts of Canada. Which countries ban them? Most of Europe.
Which countries have had outbreaks of Mad Cow disease and other diseases?

after the processing, cleaning, and cooking of any animal that the antibiotics are used on, the amount left in the animal is less than .0000000001% if any at all, of the serving eaten.

fuzzykitten99 said:
agreed with most of that-pesticides, free range etc, except the antibiotics part.

they rid the animal of potentially dangerous bacteria that cannot be eliminated during processing or cooking, as well as any contageous disease that could sicken a whole herd.

Think about it. Which countries allow antibiotic use in livestock? The US and some parts of Canada. Which countries ban them? Most of Europe.

after the processing, cleaning, and cooking of any animal that the antibiotics are used on, the amount left in the animal is less than .0000000001% if any at all, of the serving eaten.

You have a point, but mad cow happens because of cannibalism. And if we are inundated with antibiotics in our food we will develop a tolerance to them when we need them for our own infections.

fuzzykitten99 said:

I don't know about that Fuzzy, more and more it looks like some of the antibiotics we are getting in our food is contributing to the continued upward spiral of resistant bacteria. I know that food is only a small contributor, people must stop taking antibiotics for every little infection.

Personally, other than strep and pnuemonia I try to avoid them altogether. (Unless it's an ear infection-I have to take them to avoid further hearing loss. :( ).

like ive said before, when peta gets a suit together from stopping the lions from eating the water buffalo, then they have a leg to stand on.
but lets face it. when they say "well they are animals and they need to survive." bullshit, were all animals, some have just evolved more than others. we dont need to chase down things lower on the food chain, we raise them.

peta is startig to act like the freakin aclu. getting more and more outrageous as time goes on.

Johnney said:
like ive said before, when peta gets a suit together from stopping the lions from eating the water buffalo, then they have a leg to stand on.
but lets face it. when they say "well they are animals and they need to survive." bullshit, were all animals, some have just evolved more than others. we dont need to chase down things lower on the food chain, we raise them.

peta is startig to act like the freakin aclu. getting more and more outrageous as time goes on.

Starting to get more outrageous? I think their whole organization has been outrageous from the start.

insein said:
Starting to get more outrageous? I think their whole organization has been outrageous from the start.

I'm sure they started out with good intentions. If I were to walk into some laboratory and see a bunch of dogs being kept in misery, as a dog lover I would be outraged and want to put a stop to it. The problem is that PETA has been shanghai'd and perverted by a bunch of whackos, you know, like the Democratic and Republican parties. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
insein said:
White people dont get upset when another white person is degraded.

Tell me about it. Do a movie called "White Chicks," nobody peeps. Do a movie called "Jew Chicks," and see what happens.

This whole story is hilarious. White liberals assumed blacks would be on their side. But turns out blacks don't give a shit about the poor little cows --- they give a shit about BLACKS. Good for them. Only whites are dumb enough to run around screaming Save Bambi (while their own race slowly dies from the face of the Earth). I'm not a fan of blacks usually, but hey, they may outlast us through pure common sense!

Forum List

Back