Pet peeve of baseball announcing...

2Parties

Nov 27, 2009
Tennis Sea
It seems every announcer does it, and maybe I'm just overanalyzing.

I despise when an announcer says the game is down to it's "final strike" or "final out". That's bullshit and not how baseball works.

Just watching the Cubs-Padres game and Chase Headly was up to bat. It was 2 outs and a 1-2 count. Dick Enberg (who I like actually) says that the game is down to it's "final strike". Wrong. Headly got on and Hundley is batting. And guess what? He has 2 strikes on him after the so-called "final strike". Hundley just struck out on the actual "final strike" but if the Padres would have tied the game, there would have been a few outs after the "final out" of the game.

Stupid and picky of me? Yes. I'm sure I'm not the first person to be annoyed by this though.

And the New York Yankees make the playoffs again for the 15th time in 16 years!

I despise when an announcer says the game is down to it's "final strike" or "final out". That's bullshit and not how baseball works.

Just watching the Cubs-Padres game and Chase Headly was up to bat. It was 2 outs and a 1-2 count. Dick Enberg (who I like actually) says that the game is down to it's "final strike". Wrong. Headly got on and Hundley is batting. And guess what? He has 2 strikes on him after the so-called "final strike". Hundley just struck out on the actual "final strike" but if the Padres would have tied the game, there would have been a few outs after the "final out" of the game.

Stupid and picky of me? Yes. I'm sure I'm not the first person to be annoyed by this though.

A misunderstanding of the game. Baseball doesn't have a clock, it is a game of outs. In a 9 inning game each team gets 27 outs, and each batter is allowed only 3 strikes.

The Padres had 26 outs, and Headley had 2 strikes. SO, the Friars were down to their last out, and will continue to be down to their last out unless they can at least tie the game. If the batter gets on base, then the Padres are still down to their last out, and next batter starts the at-bat down to the last 3 strikes

A misunderstanding of the game. Baseball doesn't have a clock, it is a game of outs. In a 9 inning game each team gets 27 outs, and each batter is allowed only 3 strikes.

The Padres had 26 outs, and Headley had 2 strikes. SO, the Friars were down to their last out, and will continue to be down to their last out unless they can at least tie the game. If the batter gets on base, then the Padres are still down to their last out, and next batter starts the at-bat down to the last 3 strikes

I've been watching and listening to baseball for years, and I've never considered this frame of reference. :thup:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing? I know how baseball works. I've watched the sport and/or played baseball for over 20 years, and I'm not 25.

I know that it could be the final out or final strike, but since it is baseball there is never a final strike or final out until the final strike or out is made. I'd equate it to an announcer saying the batter in the box is the "final batter" when he could easily get on, or saying the 9th inning is the last inning before it ends.

I understand what they are saying it just seems like a poor word choice.

(I'm a mentally ill when it comes to baseball stuff as I'm constantly running different numbers through my head when watching or thinking about the game, or odd scenarios I've never seen that could happen.)

Last edited:

Kinda picky.

I detest blatant homers, like WGN's Ken Harrelson.

If you want to root for your team, buy a damned ticket and sit in the stands.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing? I know how baseball works. I've watched the sport and/or played baseball for over 20 years, and I'm not 25.

I know that it could be the final out or final strike, but since it is baseball there is never a final strike or final out until the final strike or out is made. I'd equate it to an announcer saying the batter in the box is the "final batter" when he could easily get on, or saying the 9th inning is the last inning before it ends.

I understand what they are saying it just seems like a poor word choice.

(I'm a mentally ill when it comes to baseball stuff as I'm constantly running different numbers through my head when watching or thinking about the game, or odd scenarios I've never seen that could happen.)

If Dick Enberg had said 'the Padres are down to their last batter, then your complaint would be valid. But even though Headley got on base, the Padres were STILL down to their last 'out' (26 of 27), but no longer down to their last strike, unless/until Nick Hundley got to a 2 strike count.

You are confusing batters with outs.

There is so much I love about our national pastime, but one thing that makes it so special; the rich history of game and the players from over a century of baseball come to life every day. Next time you're watching a game, pay attention to the names from the past that are mentioned. When a player reaches a major milestone or even an obscure one, it brings back a player from the past. That is why Babe Ruth is almost as well know 62 years after his passing. The 'Bambino' will live forever in the hearts and minds of baseball fans.

It is the most perfect game ever created. Consider this...man's physical abilities have changed, the ball has changed, the bat, glove and equipment have changed...YET a ground ball STILL comes down to one step between an out and a hit....it is...perfect...

My pet peeve would be when an announcer says a hitter is "not trying to do too much." I'll bet that gets said at least a dozen times per game.

Kinda picky.

I detest blatant homers, like WGN's Ken Harrelson.

If you want to root for your team, buy a damned ticket and sit in the stands.

Ken Harrelson is the worst. The Rays' announcers, Dwaynne Staats and Kevin Kennedy are a distant second.

People still watch baseball?

I gave up when the game went to hell and became only about money and personal glory.

What they did to baseball was a disgrace and a tragedy.

I didn't realize it still existed beyond the college level.

Baseball is still the greatest game ever invented. You just have to look past some of the player/owner behavior.

My pet peeve would be when an announcer says a hitter is "not trying to do too much." I'll bet that gets said at least a dozen times per game.

My pet peeve IS when a hitter DOES try to do too much. It happens all the time. Especially with bases loaded. A mindset of waiting for a pitch (obviously depending on the count), making good contact and driving the ball, a base hit mentality, is what even superstars forget.

Instead they alter their swing plane to go for the grand slam and end up popping out to the infield.

People still watch baseball?

I gave up when the game went to hell and became only about money and personal glory.

What they did to baseball was a disgrace and a tragedy.

I didn't realize it still existed beyond the college level.

All college sports and professional sports have been all about money for decades. When did you watch Major League Baseball? 1885?

New Topics

Forum List

Back