Personhood Amendment Defeated in Mississippi

Thank God? Thank who? that abortionists can still kill unborn kids? The measure was poorly written and was widely criticized nationally by just about every pro-death democrat who could crawl out from under a rock but got pretty good support anyway.

This amendment wouldnt have allowed that anyway.

Is your position that weak that you have to make up bullcrap like this?

There’s no way to predict how the courts might interpret the proposal.

In any event this means the people of Mississippi retain their right to privacy.

But the fact the proposal got as far as it did is troubling; this is still an issue the radical/social right believes it can win on, or at least keep the Old Bush Base energized.

This is in no way over.

On what planet could a miscarriage possibly be interpreted as murder? How? it makes no sense whatsoever unless you have some completely different interpretation of what a miscarriage is.

On what planet could a miscarriage possibly be interpreted as murder? How? it makes no sense whatsoever unless you have some completely different interpretation of what a miscarriage is.

You know those extremist evangelical Christians?

Yea.

And? Apparently you don't because none of the ones I know would consider that murder by any stretch of the imagination.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. Republicans want to force those women to bring those unwanted pregnancies to term.

Unwanted children are MUCH more likely to be abused.

Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it were, then the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

Last edited:
In one of the most conservative states (maybe THE most conservative state), and this issue fails. This should send a big message that the whole abortion debate is really a non-issue. It's not going to be repealed, so deal with it.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. Republicans want to force those women to bring those unwanted pregnancies to term.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it were, then the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.
That personhood amendment would have outlawed in vitro fertilization, because unused embryos would be destroyed.

This means a woman can't be tried for murder because she had a miscarriage.

That would never have been the case anyway. Don't be dishonest.

On its face, the notion that a woman could be tried for murder due to a miscarriage (that is, a miscarriage in her pregnancy, not a miscarriage of justice) seems sensationalist. And I agree that it would certainly not happen frequently. However, I don't think that such a scenario is impossible.

All it takes is a single prosecutor (and a reasonably sympathetic venue) intent on taking a political stand against abortion (according to dictionary.com, not all definitions of "miscarriage" exclude deliberate abortions) and a single particularly unsympathetic defendant. In such a scenario, there would be no requirement that the prosecution withstand appeal, it could be a political prosecution designed entirely for propaganda effect.

We've already seen state and local officials bend over backwards to encroach on abortion rights. I think Mississippi's defeated amendment could have had bizarre and unpredictable consequences.

EDIT: In fact, look what a little research turned up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/24/america-pregnant-women-murder-charges

A woman was already charged with murder for the loss of her fetus in Mississippi. The actual events are so similar to the scenario I described that I wonder if I subconsciously recalled seeing this in the news.

Last edited:

Up to 70% of women experience some form of abuse in their lifetimes. Therefore, if you don't advocate aborting female babies you are in favor of abusing women?

100% of people who are born die someday. Therefore, if you don't advocate wiping out the human race you are pro death?

huh???

How fucking illogical can you get?

Forum List

Back