Personality disorder = WTF!

So--is narcissim a personality disorder?

Also, how do you know if you have it versus someone else in your family or group? Because, at times I swear that my family is made up of some of the rudest and cruelest narcissitic types. That is another reason why I avoid going home for the holidays. I just can't stand the psychological pain.

Personality disorder is one of those things that will be used turn everyone into a pathology. Like post traumatic stress disorder was once used to diagnose those who had undergone an extreme stress. Now it's just ordinary stress, PTSD results from a cake falling out of the oven or a stubbed toe.

Someone who has a personality disorder has a personality. Maybe they are picky about being clean, or don't take a bath often, or play music too loud. They are not discourteous, they now have a personality disorder. With the right therapy and proper medication they can be just like everyone else.

Aren't those called character flaws?

You can develop habits that correct character flaws, and the person who has can realize them and correct them.

A personality trait is not so easy--it is like it is a part of their being. A part of who they are.

One of my several diagnosis is that I have a personality disorder of paranoid personality disorder. That is the soft version followed by Paranoid delusional. I also have recurring episodes of Major depression and have depression all the time between major episodes.

But don't tell Eots, according to him there is no such thing as mental disorders.

I believe bipolar used to be called manic-depressive. Manic-depressive is very destructive, I fostered a niece who was manic-depressive. Bipolar is a watered down diagnosis that is used to excuse someone who is moody and difficult to deal with. Bipolar offers an excuse for pissy assholes to get away with being...well, pissy assholes. If you've ever dealt with someone who is manic-depressive, you would know the very distinct difference.

Manic depression was renamed Bipolar, and you sound as if people pretend to have it - they don't.

Yes, they sure do pretend to have it. Its a nice catch all "disorder" flavor of the month for acting badly and a way to get away with it.

A lot of parents are now having their children "diagnosed" as bipolar or ADHD to excuse their children's bad behavior.... and or the desire to drug them into submission.

I agree with you on ADHD - that is overdiagnosed, and I think in most cases, the kid is just a brat to begin with.
I am not sure about bipolar though.

'Crazy' is like 'hallucination' in that the terms require a democratic solution. Just one or two people cannot establish the truth, it takes at least a third person. What the majority says is real, is real (for that group).
So, if A says B is crazy, C has to decide whom to believe or witness for her/him self the actions of A.

One of my several diagnosis is that I have a personality disorder of paranoid personality disorder. That is the soft version followed by Paranoid delusional. I also have recurring episodes of Major depression and have depression all the time between major episodes.

But don't tell Eots, according to him there is no such thing as mental disorders.

Thats not the case the mind can certainly become disordered..but there is no proof that this phenomena is organic in nature...

We already know that. Anti-depressants don't get rid of the depression, they mask the problem, which gives the person a chance to learn how to cope with that dpression.

they "mask it" with the same effectiveness as a sugar pill,yet have the potential for all kinds of horrible side effects and stress to the kidneys and liver..but yet some how this still makes sense to you ?

We already know that. Anti-depressants don't get rid of the depression, they mask the problem, which gives the person a chance to learn how to cope with that dpression.

they "mask it" with the same effectiveness as a sugar pill,yet have the potential for all kinds of horrible side effects and stress to the kidneys and liver..but yet some how this still makes sense to you ?

Until we find a better way to treat it, we must stick with what we have.

Until we find a better way to treat it, we must stick with what we have.

lol...well couldn't we just cut out the damaging drugs and just tell people in some slick ads and psychiatric journals something like science proves a hug and an orange each day is as effective as an anti depressant in treating mild to moderate depression ...because that is in fact true

Quoted from Wiki:

I don't think "personality disorder" actually exists. I think it's completely fabricated because think about it: If you ask person A about person B, and person B acts totally insane IN THE OPINION of person A, then person A will of course say of person B; "that person is CRAZY! He must have personality disorder or something."

Person B could also say the same of person A. That's all it is, OPINION! Mental impairment is real because it affects many people in many different forms. But who the F ever came up with a concept as ridiculous as "personality dsorder?" So, (based on the above description), anyone who doesn't conform to the norm (of the given society/culture you were born into), can be labled as someone "suffering" from "personality disorder." What horse crap! Goodness gracious. Anyone could give that label to anybody if they don't act a certain way. The way society says they should act.

I am just in shock that this is actually a real term. It is both laughable (in its arrogant stupidity) and annoying at the same time. :mad: Anyone agree?

Personality disorder is a generic psychiatric term for those people who are not psychotic but who are suffering from (and generally making those around them suffer, too) their own unique collection of neurotic behaviors that make them very hard (often basically impossible) to deal with.

We ALL know people with personality disorders...most of them are medically undiagnosed.

Prisons are loaded with personality disordered folk,

It's a real term, a useful term, but it isn't a term that has a distinct definition because there are SO MANY ways that people can be personality disordered.

you are assuming there is an organic cause to what you perceive as neurotic behaviours ..

NO I'm not. Did I WRITE that? No I did not.

If you want to debate with somebody's opinion you need to debate what they opine NOT what you wished they'd said.

the fact is there is no medical test for any such disorders and therefore no one can be said to be medical diagnosed with a personality disorder...it is a subjective opinion or assessment.. nothing more

Kiddo, there is no MEDICAL TEST for most psychiatric disorders.

You really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Personality disorder is a generic psychiatric term for those people who are not psychotic but who are suffering from (and generally making those around them suffer, too) their own unique collection of neurotic behaviors that make them very hard (often basically impossible) to deal with.

We ALL know people with personality disorders...most of them are medically undiagnosed.

Prisons are loaded with personality disordered folk,

It's a real term, a useful term, but it isn't a term that has a distinct definition because there are SO MANY ways that people can be personality disordered.

NO I'm not. Did I WRITE that? No I did not.

If you want to debate with somebody's opinion you need to debate what they opine NOT what you wished they'd said.

the fact is there is no medical test for any such disorders and therefore no one can be said to be medical diagnosed with a personality disorder...it is a subjective opinion or assessment.. nothing more

Kiddo, there is no MEDICAL TEST for most psychiatric disorders.

You really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Its you that seems to not know what they are talking about..there is not a single medical test for MOST KINDS of psychiatric disorder ?...No..there is no medical test of any kind for any psychiatric disorder..no test that shows any chemical imbalance..no test that shows flawed genes...no proof of any kind to its cause or that these disorders are in fact a medical condition

Forum List

Back