Personalities submitting to authority

eflatminor

Classical Liberal
May 24, 2011
"Communism and fascism or nazism, although poles apart in their intellectual content, are similar in this, that both have emotional appeal to the type of personality that takes pleasure in being submerged in a mass movement and submitting to superior authority."
-- James A. C. Brown
(1911-1964)

Does this not sum up the Obamaheads as well? I'd say yes it does.

Not at all, the authoritarian follower personality types tend to gravitate to the right end of the spectrum in America.

Not at all, the authoritarian follower personality types tend to gravitate to the right end of the spectrum in America.

While I disagree with your point, you've made me reassess mine. Allow me to restate: Does that quote not sum up ALL big government supporters whether they lean left or right? I think the answer is obvious.

"Communism and fascism or nazism, although poles apart in their intellectual content, are similar in this, that both have emotional appeal to the type of personality that takes pleasure in being submerged in a mass movement and submitting to superior authority."
-- James A. C. Brown
(1911-1964)

Except that they're not poles apart in their intellectual content....Both are collectivist authoritarian mindsets, which subjugate the rights of the individual for the (claimed) good of the fatherland.

Other than that, pretty much on the mark.

The authoritarian personality type craves a strongman leader that legitimizes their many prejudices, confirms their fears and engage in nationalistic displays of flag waving and religious patriotism. They want a general.

You are quite right. And anyone who doubts what you've said here need only read any or all of the following books to find convincing support of it:

Escape From Freedom, by Dr. Erich Fromm.

Conservatives Without Conscience, by John Dean.

The Authoritarians, by Prof. Bob Altemeyer.

While I disagree with your point, you've made me reassess mine. Allow me to restate: Does that quote not sum up ALL big government supporters whether they lean left or right? I think the answer is obvious.

Then why are you asking a question if you think the answer is obvious?

???

Anyway, It would seem to me that the "big-government types" are more free-spirited than the stodgy (sp?) "small government" types.

If you associate the "Burning Man Crowd" with liberalism and liberalism with big government....you must then associate the "TEA Party Crowd" with conservatism and small government. Right?

Which one is less likely to subscribe to authority? The guys who are expressing themselves 100 different ways or the guys who are wrapping themselves in the flag?

If you don't know what the Burning Man is, here is a link. Do follow and enjoy. I missed it this year :-(

Burning Man :: Welcome Home

The authoritarian personality type craves a strongman leader that legitimizes their many prejudices, confirms their fears and engage in nationalistic displays of flag waving and religious patriotism. They want a general.

... ^... Leftist psychobabble... :blahblah:

The state, whether from Left or Right, remains pre eminent over the individual.
Contrast that with this statement: "That all men are created equal, endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights...

We seem to have drifted a bit from those principles:
You do not have a right to all the rewards which you may have earned with your talents
You may not use your property as you see fit
You do not have a right to say what you think unless it comports with the views of the society in general
You may not use more than two sheets of TP per event without approval.

Lefties tend to judge everything on the basis of emotion rather than reality. Who could forget those glory days when the smell of tear gas was in the air and Bill Ayers was the secret hero to anarchists?
Things haven't changed much. Bill Ayers is a powerful influence in left wing politics and his terrorist wife is a law professor. Lefties still use Alinsky's "rules for radicals" and (sometimes) get away with ignorant claims that it's the right wing's fault.

A personality submitting to authority is one that says to such authority, "Tell ME what to do."

Someone who says to authority, "Tell HIM he can't do that," is not in the same category.

Lefties tend to judge everything on the basis of emotion rather than reality. Who could forget those glory days when the smell of tear gas was in the air and Bill Ayers was the secret hero to anarchists?
Things haven't changed much. Bill Ayers is a powerful influence in left wing politics and his terrorist wife is a law professor. Lefties still use Alinsky's "rules for radicals" and (sometimes) get away with ignorant claims that it's the right wing's fault.

Scapegoating is a strong Authoritarian trait.

-- James A. C. Brown
(1911-1964)

Umm the Tea Party? Palin? Beck?

The right tends to like having an authority figure running them.

Scapegoating is a strong Authoritarian trait.
Oh, you mean like scapegoating ATMs, ticket kiosks, corporate jet owners, the 1%, etcetera?

Man, what a Freudian wet dream little saps like you are. :lmao:

Forum List

Back