Personal Stories On Healthcare Problems

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Please hate Obamacare, but I am getting sick and tired of hearing our healthcare system isn't EXTREMELY flawed. If you have minor sickness, broken bones etc our system works. If your the spouse or child of someone who works at med to large corporation your fine. HOWEVER, if you the the bread winner who gets sick, your bread winning spouse or parent is self-employed or works at a small corporation then your fucked.

Here are 3 personal stories of the our healthcare system FAILING MISERABLY:

(1) Walter Payton Killer:
My Engineer Friend worked at a small corporation. His wife was a stay at home mother of their child. He got sick with Walter Payton disease. A horrendous disease that eats at you slow requiring many organ transplants. Shortly after getting sick he had to stop working. Shortly after that he lost his job of 12 years. He went onto Cobra. He and his wife spent their entire savings on Cobra, co-pays and things not covered. Cobra ended and he needed health insurance. His wife went back to work, but she can only get job that don't provide insurance. He can't get private insurance, they flat out deny him. He has a one year waiting period for CHIPS. In one year, he'll be dead! He needed a liver transplant. The liver was their, but he had no insurance! There were big fundraisers to help him (including his old employer giving $15K)! The doctors agreed to do procedure and put him on a payment plan. The man was health for 12 years and used his insurance for yearly physicals. When he needed it, the insurance was taken away and drained his savings!

(2) MS Brother-in-law:
My brother-in-law got MS, luckly him and his wife at the time got insurance before then. Although the premiums went up, he still had coverage. His wife decided she didn't sign up for taking care of a sick person and divorced him. Shortly after that the bitch cancelled their insurance (all the bitch had to do was take herself off the insurance, but she is again a bitch). After that my brother-in-law had no insurance to pay for his medication (which can run $5-$6K a month) and his doctor visits. No private insurer would touch him with a 10 foot pole and the CHIPS program has a one year pre-existing waiting period. He had no choice but to go off his meds and not see any doctors. The only year period is up in June! He has suffered through a whole year and has gotten decidely WORSE! This year took a major toll on him. Up until he got sick he was a successful small business owner (in property management) for 22 years, paid his insurance premiums on time the entire time!

(3) The Sick Boy:
My dad is a group life insurance agent. A small business owner customer of his came in and state he wanted to drop his health insurance benefits, because the increases were killing him and he just wanted to get private insurance on his healthy wife and him. Perplexed my father asked,"Why?" Because one of his employees has a boy that got sick with Luekemia and the rate increases were too much. My father tried to persuade his customer stating, "The employee's son won't be able to get insurance and he will probably leave for another company!" And he stated that is a risk he is willing to take! My dad never knew what happened, but more than likely the employee was blind sided by this and immediate looked for another. Who knows how long it took, but more than likely this poor kid was without coverage and treatment for a prolonged perior of time. With Luekemia that can be a literal killer!

I am sure most of us have stories like this! Obamacare might not be the answer, but a serious reforming to the system is not a want its a NECESSITY! During the time Republicans had the house during the Clinton years with a friendly President and during the Bush years, they did nothing!!! Status quo is unacceptable!

Good post. And to add, even if you do work for a large company with excellent coverage you could still end up owing hundreds of thousands of dollars when hit with a traumatic illness. I know this from personal first hand experience. "Obamacare" is definitely not ideal but drastic reform IS absolutely needed.

Ever notice that Conservatives practically become bleeding heart liberals when an issue affects a friends or family?

Oh..and I look forward to another "neg" from this poster. Complete with the sweet little message he leaves behind.

Care to share that with the listening audience, Ghook93? Or do you just want to keep that private..

Last edited:
No healthcare system in any developed country is dystopia but Americans are foolish enough to believe they have the best healthcare in the world.

No healthcare system in any developed country is dystopia but Americans are foolish enough to believe they have the best healthcare in the world.

Too much pride and ignorance in this country to admit that we aren't the best at something. It's holding us back as a society.

Ever notice that Conservatives practically become bleeding heart liberals when an issue affects a friends or family?

Oh..and I look forward to another "neg" from this poster. Complete with the sweet little message he leaves behind.

Care to share that with the listening audience, Ghook93? Or do you just want to keep that private..

The differnence is Sallow that when something traumatic does effect someone close it is not my first instinct to run to government and tell them it's their problem to fix.

The differnence is Sallow that when something traumatic does effect someone close it is not my first instinct to run to government and tell them it's their problem to fix.

Actually it is the government's job to fix. That's why they exist, to ensure the general welfare of the citizens of the nation. Especially when the beloved free market is not only not helping to fix the issue, but are causing the issue in the first place.

The OP is a conservative.

He posted this:
Obamacare might not be the answer, but a serious reforming to the system is not a want its a NECESSITY! During the time Republicans had the house during the Clinton years with a friendly President and during the Bush years, they did nothing!!!

We have the best hospitals, doctors, researchers, schools, medical innovation and equipment in the word, but the healthcare system needs changes badly!

Michael Medved said it prefectly when liberals compare providing welfare vs helping the people of Haiti.

We like to help the helpless (such as person who gets paralysised or the elderly), but we shouldn't help the hopeless (an able person that can work but choose not to, a drug addict etc)!

Many people who fall into the American Healthcare Black Hole (as the three I described above) usually fall into the helpless category!

I am wary of UHC because I have been programed to as an American, but I look at some other developed countries and you don't see rioting in the streets or an overally upset middle to upper class and three perfect examples have extremely thriving economies.

Germany, Canada and Israel are great examples. Germany is has a very successful exporting economy. Israel is known to have the best doctors in the world. And I have yet to meet one of our Northern Neighbors (from all income levels) that preferred our system vs theirs. Check out Canada's economy its pretty damn impressive!

He posted this:
Obamacare might not be the answer, but a serious reforming to the system is not a want its a NECESSITY! During the time Republicans had the house during the Clinton years with a friendly President and during the Bush years, they did nothing!!!

I prefer right leaning moderate!

He posted this:

I prefer right leaning moderate!

Why don't you go ahead and tell the listening audience..what you posted in your "negs" to me.

I don't mind the negs..but the message is special.

Go ahead..

Show your cards for everyone to see.:lol:

He posted this:

That is a recongition of a problem. A problem I also recognize. It is NOT an endorsement of a government solution.

He posted this:

That is a recongition of a problem. A problem I also recognize. It is NOT an endorsement of a government solution.

:lol:

HMOs went public. There's no way they are going to do anything about anything.

The bottomline is all that matters.

I know a lady who recently passed away from cancer. He and her husband run a very successful small business. The costs for her treatment were so high, that according to her the overwhelming majority of people would not have been able to afford it. That includes hard-working middle class people.

I know a lady who recently passed away from cancer. He and her husband run a very successful small business.

Must have been one of those gay marriage states! :razz:

Side note: Sorry for the insensitive wise crack!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back