Personal responsibility

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
If one supports a "thing" be it a politician, war, etc does one bear a portion of the blame for any bad results of the thing they supported?

Yes, in my opinion you bear some responsibility (or credit, if it's a good thing). However, you only bear responsibility to the extent your support made a difference (more if you served as a candidate's campaign director than if you just voted for him or her) and to the extent that the consequences of the support were predictable (if a reasonable and diligent person could not have predicted a consequence of their actions they aren't responsible for it).

Yes, in my opinion you bear some responsibility (or credit, if it's a good thing). However, you only bear responsibility to the extent your support made a difference (more if you served as a candidate's campaign director than if you just voted for him or her) and to the extent that the consequences of the support were predictable (if a reasonable and diligent person could not have predicted a consequence of their actions they aren't responsible for it).

so as a voter in a democratic republic your vote does not count as any type of personal support?
nor would your vocal support of a thing or candidate when speaking to friends, family, co-workers, etc?

Now I will have to look up "glomb".

Statist? Me?

I guess I have to look that up as well.

I looked up Statism and yes I am more of a statist than a free market no regulations on corporations type of guy.
And damned proud of it too ;)

Actually a reasonable mix of govt oversight and corporate freedoms is the best route, but we cannot seem to stay at that point without swinging too far one way or the other.
On glomb.

nope not that.

glomb 3 up, 1 down
A clutzy or clumsy person. People who knock things over, or break things or are just obnoxious.
"God Nicole, why did you knock that over! You're such a glomb!"

"Karissa, don't be such a glomb!"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glomb

Last edited:
so as a voter in a democratic republic your vote does not count as any type of personal support?
nor would your vocal support of a thing or candidate when speaking to friends, family, co-workers, etc?

Not at all. Voting for or speaking in favor of a thing or candidate is certainly supporting that thing or candidate. It's just much less support than some. So as a supporter of Obama I deserve some of the credit/blame for, eg, killing Bin Laden, but much, much less than if I were, say, a member of Seal Team 6.

Not at all. Voting for or speaking in favor of a thing or candidate is certainly supporting that thing or candidate. It's just much less support than some. So as a supporter of Obama I deserve some of the credit/blame for, eg, killing Bin Laden, but much, much less than if I were, say, a member of Seal Team 6.

Agreed but there is personal responsibility there, right?

well, i would hate to be a dolphins fan in this thread.......

or worse yet.. a denver fan........

If one supports a "thing" be it a politician, war, etc does one bear a portion of the blame for any bad results of the thing they supported?

Is this a pro-abortion thread?

Nope. But that could be one of the things.
It is a general personal responsibility thread.

There are so many variables to your generic question that it makes it hard to answer.
I'll give you a real life and personal example of something I lived.

A 15 year old murders a retarded man by slicing him up with a box cutter and then smashing his head in with a hammer because he "wasn't dying quick enough".
I was one of the unfortunate people that ended up on the jury for his trial.
It was bad that the guy got life in prison with no parole. I supported that decision and was absolutely part of that final decision. But I certainly didn't like passing that judgement (my eldest child was also 15 at the time).
Yes, I bear personal responsibility for sentencing a 15 year old to life in prison. He bears personal responsibility for murder and for putting me (and 11 other jurors) into the position to make that decision.
I've continued to follow the case as the murderer has filed appeal after appeal. He continues to try and avoid his personal responsibility for his actions in the murder. I continue to stand by my personal responsibility in passing judgement that he should remain locked up for life. I bear a portion of the blame for his continued incarceration because I supported it. I am responsible for the incarceration of a minor (now adult).

Well sports fanatics was not what I really had in mind for this topic since the results of supporting or not supporting are pretty much null in effect.

Is this a pro-abortion thread?

Nope. But that could be one of the things.
It is a general personal responsibility thread.

There are so many variables to your generic question that it makes it hard to answer.
I'll give you a real life and personal example of something I lived.

A 15 year old murders a retarded man by slicing him up with a box cutter and then smashing his head in with a hammer because he "wasn't dying quick enough".
I was one of the unfortunate people that ended up on the jury for his trial.
It was bad that the guy got life in prison with no parole. I supported that decision and was absolutely part of that final decision. But I certainly didn't like passing that judgement (my eldest child was also 15 at the time).
Yes, I bear personal responsibility for sentencing a 15 year old to life in prison. He bears personal responsibility for murder and for putting me (and 11 other jurors) into the position to make that decision.
I've continued to follow the case as the murderer has filed appeal after appeal. He continues to try and avoid his personal responsibility for his actions in the murder. I continue to stand by my personal responsibility in passing judgement that he should remain locked up for life. I bear a portion of the blame for his continued incarceration because I supported it. I am responsible for the incarceration of a minor (now adult).

I agree with you and support your decision. However in cases like this of high level direct personal responsibility it sucks.

Well sports fanatics was not what I really had in mind for this topic since the results of supporting or not supporting are pretty much null in effect.

well, for alot its the same with politics......

they pick a side and are fanatical about it no matter what.......

sure, they bitch and moan about replacing a coach or player or congressman or head of one of the political groups, but in the end they still pull the leverl for their "team".......

Forum List

Back