Personal races.

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Khafley's thread about her son, and acludem's post, gave me the idea for this thread.

What elections has anyone taken part in themselves? Did you win or lose? What, if any, lessons did you learn?

When I was in 8th grade I made my first bid for votes. Class Clown. A highly coveted honor to be sure. I pushed hard for myself, and it was close. In the end I managed to edge out a close victory. I can't say I learned anything, but I was quite pleased with myself.

Then at the end of junior year I ran for Senior Class President because I knew I could win. I was running against the kid who had probably been the President every previous year since kindergarten. I ran more or less all by myself. He didn't think I had a chance in hell.

I utterly destroyed him.

I learned two lessons that day:

1.) people are stupid

2.) democracy is just a popularity contest

My opinions haven't changed much since then.

Now, I could not be described as a model student. Sure my grades were fantastic, but my teachers hated me. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that I was noticeably more intelligent than they, I dressed like an urban stormtropper, and I came to class reeking of weed. But I was the President, and my parents were teachers. I was untouchable.

But what they could do was keep me from participating in the events that a Senior Class President was typically involved in. I was kept out of the loop, I didn't participate in inter-school officer conferences, I wasn't sent out to represent the school, I wasn't involved in any thing. I missed the senior breakfast because I didn't even know when it was.

I thereby learned another lesson:

3.) title is nothing without power

There was one thing they couldn't keep me from however, and that was speaking to the class at graduation. I detested my school, and most of the people there. They were understandably nervous.

But they're fears were for naught. My speech was far superior to any other that night (which admitedly isn't saying much) and I received a standing ovation by the several thousand people in attendance.

I realized as I shook the hands of the administration, and saw their relieved faces, that the faculty of my high school learned a lesson that evening:

4.) they had completely misjudged me

my fathher was a state assemblyman, i campaigned with him from the age of
four until 18 or so .......... he never lost .... i staplegunned my hand to a campaign sign ... there was an attempt on my fathers life by the oposition

my godfather was rnc chariman

my fathers friends are/were lee atwater, paul laxalt, frank farenkopf (recived my kindergarten diploma from him)

i was financial advisor to the youngest mayor ever elected in a small town in california

i ran for office in school lost by ten votes

my entire family are sharks, politicians and life long military...i am the lone "liberal" in their eyes

Never ran for office, never really did anything politically. Growing up i was incredibly intoverted and i was like id never want to be a lawyer or politician. Sometimes i wish i was still a kid lol.

manu1959 said:
my fathher was a state assemblyman, i campaigned with him from the age of
four until 18 or so .......... he never lost .... i staplegunned my hand to a campaign sign ... there was an attempt on my fathers life by the oposition

my godfather was rnc chariman

my fathers friends are/were lee atwater, paul laxalt, frank farenkopf (recived my kindergarten diploma from him)

i was financial advisor to the youngest mayor ever elected in a small town in california

i ran for office in school lost by ten votes

my entire family are sharks, politicians and life long military...i am the lone "liberal" in their eyes

Well stick with your views better that way. My dather is a Vet. of vietnam He ddespretly tried to sway me away from joining the military. I joined Marines anyways. Just roll with this all popular motto "screw em'".

on a funnier note my cousin, also in college, ran for City Councilman of Whitewater, WI for a civics project and actually won. :happy2:

Forum List

Back