Personal Experiences with the Divine

Religion is a funny thing for me as is my relationship with God and something I rarely open up on because it leaves one open to attack. My extended family holds representatives of a variety of faiths - Episcopal, Russian Orthodox, Morman, Jewish, Baptist, Unitarian, Agnotistic, Buddhist... and I've learned that there are many pathways to God if we open up our eyes to him. But I am very stubborn and resistant. God is very patient though. Every time I think I'm closer to the Divine, some religious jerk says or does something that makes me want to totally repudiate that path and anything to do with organized religion. But then, God does something or shows me something that makes me think. I'm incredibly fortunate and blessed. My problems are usually of my own making. Doors closed but God keeps leaving the windows unlatched. That has happened many times to me. The process of growing has been a process of growing closer to god. I don't know which god or who's brand - but it's the god that created the incredible beauty all around me, that exists in the spark of life in every living thing, that gave us a mind and soul, and granted us the gift to hear his voice in music, dance, and love. One of these days I'll spiral in closer and closer...and be trapped. But it may not be a bad thing :)

Thanks for sharing. While it's true I love to mock religion, I try to keep religions separate from individual's. Beliefs don't need to be proven to be valid and thus are valid regardless. And when you're talking about religious beliefs, once you've conceeded a god exists, everything else is kinda moot to be making fun of.

I think it's entirely possible, and simply due to the law of large numbers, all earthly religions could well be wrong about God. Even if just 1 planet per galaxy has intelligent life on par with us, that's still 100 billion planets with religions about some sort of God. That our's contains one or more right versions is 100 billion to 1 against. :) So I try to keep the door open on the question while trying to come up with better questions. Trying to answer the questions we continue asking doesn't work since we've been asking them for thousands of years. That we still do suggests they're not very good since they can't be answered conclusively. But as long as we keep asking better questions, maybe that's as good as it needs to be. Maybe searching for God is more useful than believing in it.

So if this topic is about personal experiences with the Divine...

Why are Atheists even posting in it?

They really have nothing to contribute that it relevant to the topic.

Everyone has something useful, even atheists. When an atheist shares their beliefs/disbeliefs, it forces a believer to examine what they believe. Through discussion and debate with those who don't agree with me on things I've found I refine my own beliefs and positions. Wouldn't have done so if never challenged on things. If you only ever talk with those who already agree with you your kwowledge stagnates. Through exposure to those that don't agree with you your beliefs change and become better and stronger. Whether you're wrong or not doesn't matter since ultimately you're left with a more self-convincing arguement for what you believe in.

Religion is a funny thing for me as is my relationship with God and something I rarely open up on because it leaves one open to attack. My extended family holds representatives of a variety of faiths - Episcopal, Russian Orthodox, Morman, Jewish, Baptist, Unitarian, Agnotistic, Buddhist... and I've learned that there are many pathways to God if we open up our eyes to him. But I am very stubborn and resistant. God is very patient though. Every time I think I'm closer to the Divine, some religious jerk says or does something that makes me want to totally repudiate that path and anything to do with organized religion. But then, God does something or shows me something that makes me think. I'm incredibly fortunate and blessed. My problems are usually of my own making. Doors closed but God keeps leaving the windows unlatched. That has happened many times to me. The process of growing has been a process of growing closer to god. I don't know which god or who's brand - but it's the god that created the incredible beauty all around me, that exists in the spark of life in every living thing, that gave us a mind and soul, and granted us the gift to hear his voice in music, dance, and love. One of these days I'll spiral in closer and closer...and be trapped. But it may not be a bad thing :)

Thanks for sharing. While it's true I love to mock religion, I try to keep religions separate from individual's. Beliefs don't need to be proven to be valid and thus are valid regardless. And when you're talking about religious beliefs, once you've conceeded a god exists, everything else is kinda moot to be making fun of.

I think it's entirely possible, and simply due to the law of large numbers, all earthly religions could well be wrong about God. Even if just 1 planet per galaxy has intelligent life on par with us, that's still 100 billion planets with religions about some sort of God. That our's contains one or more right versions is 100 billion to 1 against. :) So I try to keep the door open on the question while trying to come up with better questions. Trying to answer the questions we continue asking doesn't work since we've been asking them for thousands of years. That we still do suggests they're not very good since they can't be answered conclusively. But as long as we keep asking better questions, maybe that's as good as it needs to be. Maybe searching for God is more useful than believing in it.

God is what God is... We don't have to know what he is, to know he is.

We know him by the laws he set forth which govern our lives. Obey those laws and prosper, disobey those laws and suffer the consequences. Simple stuff...

We know him by the laws he set forth which govern our lives. Obey those laws and prosper, disobey those laws and suffer the consequences. Simple stuff...

Sounds good, unfortunately, most of the most properous people in history weren't following God's laws.

Everyone has something useful, even atheists. When an atheist shares their beliefs/disbeliefs, it forces a believer to examine what they believe. Through discussion and debate with those who don't agree with me on things I've found I refine my own beliefs and positions. Wouldn't have done so if never challenged on things. If you only ever talk with those who already agree with you your kwowledge stagnates. Through exposure to those that don't agree with you your beliefs change and become better and stronger. Whether you're wrong or not doesn't matter since ultimately you're left with a more self-convincing arguement for what you believe in.

Yes, this is the nature of that which exists solely through its means to deceive. Truth is that few, if any 'A-theists' would be drawn to comment here. Because, by definition they have little to no concern for, or interests in the discussion.

What WOULD be drawn to the discussion is the Anti-theist. Who's purpose is to undermine the belief in God, therefore we can know them to be the purveyors of evil.

Neat, huh... ?

Sounds good, unfortunately, most of the most properous people in history weren't following God's laws.

No? Define prosper as you're using it... . My guess is that we're working this equation from opposed perspectives.

Back in the 80s I used to have a beer with Jesus every night...does that count?
It depends on what the beer spoke unto you.
Who knows? Do you? To put GOD in the blank is what you guys have always historically done when you can't explain something. Over the centuries we have filled in those gaps where once we thought it was god, science filled in that gap and each time your god gets smaller and smaller.

But no matter how many things we prove aren't god, it's never enough.

The fact that Christians had to make up an unbelievable story and brainwash Christians with it is my proof god is made up.

The fact that Muslims had to make up an unbelievable story and brainwash Muslims with it is my proof god is made up.

The fact the Greek Gods and Mormons did it too.

Without all their lies, what proof do you have? None. So don't ask me how it happened. I admit I don't know. It is you who claims knowledge in something that imo doesn't even exist.

Maybe it's not brainwashing. Maybe those are the stories that are needed at the time to help the people of the time understand the message.

So you're saying they/we need to be lied to in order to be good. Well I look around and see that this lie is doing a horrible job. Horrible at recruiting new members, horrible at setting a good example and horrible at solving our problems. In fact I think its holding us back.

No.

What I'm saying is - the stories of the time represent how we understood the world at that time. It has nothing to do with being lied to. If you still believe the literal wording of the messages, that is your choice. But I think there are a lot of layers of meaning beyond the literal.

At what point do the stories stop and reality start? A lot of Christians today seem to be able to understand Noah didn't really happen but then they still believe in virgin births and rising from the dead after 3 days of being dead. Impossible.

Now, if the book of Genesis is an allegory, then sin is an allegory, the Fall is an allegory and the need for a Savior is an allegory – but if we are all descendants of an allegory, where does that leave us? It destroys the foundation of all Christian doctrine—it destroys the foundation of the gospel.” - Ken Ham

Actually, "Noah" literally did happen. As did Sodom and Gomorrah... The tower of Babble... and (this is my personal fave... The genesis, wherein the universe began with a great explosion of light... . I like it as much as I do, because Genesis, written many many thousands of years ago... describes the origin of the universe in accurate terms, where the theorist of the "Big Bang", described such in inaccurate terms, assigning an aural quality to that which occurred where there was no medium essential to propagate an aurally relevant wave; thus: No BANG. I forget his name, 7th grade science was a long time ago... but the thesis rested upon the premise that space was filled with aether... which is how the scientists of most the the scientific human history believed that light waves were propagated, enabling light to travel through space. "The Big Bang Theory" being among the last of examples relevant to that misunderstanding of "SCIENCE!"

What's hard to believe about the virgin birth? Matter is merely the shifting of subatomic particles into whatever elements lead to whatever organism... and time is 'alterable', thus all one needs to do to establish a virgin birth is alter time sufficiently to setup the appropriate elements necessary to fertilize an egg and presto... virgin birth.

Where's the mystery?

Do you have a scientific source that backs up your theory or are you getting this from theistopedia?

Of course there is plenty to learn from an Atheist, even regarding matters concerning religion...

However

Your topic is called "Personal experiences with the Divine".

Not
"Your beliefs regarding God(s)
or
"Argue whether or not God(s) Exist
or
"What is God"
or
"Debate whether or not those who have had personal experiences with the divine are just trippin"

Your topic had the potential to be so much more. Hopefully it still does.

Yes, this is the nature of that which exists solely through its means to deceive. Truth is that few, if any 'A-theists' would be drawn to comment here. Because, by definition they have little to no concern for, or interests in the discussion.

What WOULD be drawn to the discussion is the Anti-theist. Who's purpose is to undermine the belief in God, therefore we can know them to be the purveyors of evil.

Neat, huh... ?

I love this argument. You guys say a true atheist doesn't care. Who says? Do you lump us all into one category?

I too can say most theists don't care enough to have this discussion either. So why are you here? Are you the devil trying to give god a bad name because it is working. In fact the Genesis story sounds like something a false god/devil would invent.

Neat, huh?

Of course there is plenty to learn from an Atheist, even regarding matters concerning religion...

However

Not
or
or
"What is God"
or
"Debate whether or not those who have had personal experiences with the divine are just trippin"

Rather let people volunteer whatever they like than try validating what or who does so.

If they have a story about something that stands out to them as a personal encounter with divinity please share. Others wanna dissect it that's on them.

Back in the 80s I used to have a beer with Jesus every night...does that count?
Maybe it's not brainwashing. Maybe those are the stories that are needed at the time to help the people of the time understand the message.

So you're saying they/we need to be lied to in order to be good. Well I look around and see that this lie is doing a horrible job. Horrible at recruiting new members, horrible at setting a good example and horrible at solving our problems. In fact I think its holding us back.

No.

What I'm saying is - the stories of the time represent how we understood the world at that time. It has nothing to do with being lied to. If you still believe the literal wording of the messages, that is your choice. But I think there are a lot of layers of meaning beyond the literal.

At what point do the stories stop and reality start? A lot of Christians today seem to be able to understand Noah didn't really happen but then they still believe in virgin births and rising from the dead after 3 days of being dead. Impossible.

Now, if the book of Genesis is an allegory, then sin is an allegory, the Fall is an allegory and the need for a Savior is an allegory – but if we are all descendants of an allegory, where does that leave us? It destroys the foundation of all Christian doctrine—it destroys the foundation of the gospel.” - Ken Ham

Actually, "Noah" literally did happen. As did Sodom and Gomorrah... The tower of Babble... and (this is my personal fave... The genesis, wherein the universe began with a great explosion of light... . I like it as much as I do, because Genesis, written many many thousands of years ago... describes the origin of the universe in accurate terms, where the theorist of the "Big Bang", described such in inaccurate terms, assigning an aural quality to that which occurred where there was no medium essential to propagate an aurally relevant wave; thus: No BANG. I forget his name, 7th grade science was a long time ago... but the thesis rested upon the premise that space was filled with aether... which is how the scientists of most the the scientific human history believed that light waves were propagated, enabling light to travel through space. "The Big Bang Theory" being among the last of examples relevant to that misunderstanding of "SCIENCE!"

What's hard to believe about the virgin birth? Matter is merely the shifting of subatomic particles into whatever elements lead to whatever organism... and time is 'alterable', thus all one needs to do to establish a virgin birth is alter time sufficiently to setup the appropriate elements necessary to fertilize an egg and presto... virgin birth.

Where's the mystery?

Do you have a scientific source that backs up your theory or are you getting this from theistopedia?

I am the source. Would you like to state the facts which provide that I am not qualified to advance those theories, or rely solely upon the unfounded, wholly fallacious premise at the root of the standing implication?

I'm good either way... keep me posted on your desires, in terms of how much effort you want to invest in this before you finally concede that 'ya got nothin''.

Last edited:

However

Not
or
or
"What is God"
or

And yesterday I heard a Christian on Christian radio say that Jesus said until he comes back, no one else will come back from the dead or from heaven. No angels, ghosts, devils, demons or gods. Not until Jesus returns. The guy said anyone who says they have seen a ghost is wrong. They are Christians who stopped reading the bible and they are believing in false things.

He also talked about that New Jersey Medium lady who supposedly talks to dead love ones. He says that's not real.

But I'm sure a lot of you Christians believe that too, even though it goes against what your religion says.

However

Not
or
or
"What is God"
or

And yesterday I heard a Christian on Christian radio say that Jesus said until he comes back, no one else will come back from the dead or from heaven. No angels, ghosts, devils, demons or gods. Not until Jesus returns. The guy said anyone who says they have seen a ghost is wrong. They are Christians who stopped reading the bible and they are believing in false things.

He also talked about that New Jersey Medium lady who supposedly talks to dead love ones. He says that's not real.

But I'm sure a lot of you Christians believe that too, even though it goes against what your religion says.

Well contrary to the great misnomer, Christians are not Christ.

Ya see the REASON for God's grace, as delivered through Christ... is that human beings are hopelessly flawed beings.

I'll set aside the potential for veracity wherein an unapologetic anti-theist testifies to her time listening to Christian radio. As a Christian, I find such stations rather tedious. But I'll stop short of suggesting that you're playing fast and loose with the facts, as a means to push a poorly construed analogy.

No.

Where's the mystery?

I am the source. Would you like to state the facts which provide that I am not qualified to advance those theories, or rely solely upon the unfounded, wholly fallacious premise?

I'm good either way... keep me posted on your desires, in terms of how much effort you want to invest in this before you finally concede that 'ya got nothin''.

I think if the Adam story is true and the Noah & Soddom stories are all true, and eventually your god is coming back to destroy most of us and that is written then your god is not perfect. Why does he create horrible humans each time and then wipe us all out just to start over again and all that comes back are a new batch of assholes?

However

Not
or
or
"What is God"
or

Ya see the REASON for God's grace, as delivered through Christ... is that human beings are hopelessly flawed beings.

I'll set aside the potential for veracity wherein an unapologetic anti-theist testifies to her time listening to Christian radio. As a Christian, I find such stations rather tedious. But I'll stop short of suggesting that you're playing fast and loose with the facts, as a means to push a poorly construed analogy.

OR, they have a different spin than you. That shouldn't surprise you. Show me 1000 people who believe in "god" and they'll all believe something different. Like snowflakes no 2 gods are the same.

However

Not
or
or
"What is God"
or

OR, they have a different spin than you. That shouldn't surprise you. Show me 1000 people who believe in "god" and they'll all believe something different. Like snowflakes no 2 gods are the same.
Or, it could be that no two perceptions of the One God are the same. How many perceptions are there of you?

No.

Where's the mystery?

I am the source. Would you like to state the facts which provide that I am not qualified to advance those theories, or rely solely upon the unfounded, wholly fallacious premise?

I think if the Adam story is true and the Noah & Soddom stories are all true, and eventually your god is coming back to destroy most of us and that is written then your god is not perfect. Why does he create horrible humans each time and then wipe us all out just to start over again and all that comes back are a new batch of assholes?

God is not perfect from your perspective. I understand how you'd feel that way. But as a point of fact, your perspective is one of a minor organism on a tiny chunk of rock spiraling through a single and likely insignificant dimension in time... and that such is wrapped in unbridled subjectivity, it likely falls into the abyss of meaningless to a force whose scope is beyond your means to so much as imagine.

But, if it helps... I'm here for ya. So, if nothin' else, ya have that goin' for ya.

However

Not
or
or
"What is God"
or

Fine... Now explain how that is important to anything.

However

Not
or
or
"What is God"
or

You assume a Pagan to be a Christian, based off of what, I wonder

Last edited:

Forum List

Back