Personal Depression Gifts

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I've never been in this place before, no money to buy presents. Luckily my kids aren't kids, they are adults, all making at least 3X what I am. So, my gifts will be cookies and bread. On another thread we were discussing some recipes. Here's one that I'm looking at:

Caramelized Onion Focaccia Bread Recipe for bread maker

Caramelized Onion Focaccia

Ingredients for one 12-inch circle:
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon bread machine yeast
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Ingredients for the onion topping:
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 medium onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Directions:
Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except for the onion topping and cheeses in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.

Select the dough/manual cycle. Grease cookie sheet.

When dough is mixed take it out of the machine. Pat the dough into a 12-inch circle on cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until almost double. Prepare Onion Topping.

Heat oven to 400°F. Make deep depressions in dough at 1-inch intervals with finger or the handle of wooden spoon. Spread topping over dough. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until the edge is golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm.

Onion Topping:
Melt margarine in 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Cook onions and garlic in margarine 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are brown and caramelized; remove from heat.

I've never been in this place before, no money to buy presents. Luckily my kids aren't kids, they are adults, all making at least 3X what I am. So, my gifts will be cookies and bread. On another thread we were discussing some recipes. Here's one that I'm looking at:

3/4 cup water
2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

2 medium onions, sliced

Directions:
Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except for the onion topping and cheeses in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.

When dough is mixed take it out of the machine. Pat the dough into a 12-inch circle on cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until almost double. Prepare Onion Topping.

Heat oven to 400°F. Make deep depressions in dough at 1-inch intervals with finger or the handle of wooden spoon. Spread topping over dough. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until the edge is golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm.

Onion Topping:
Melt margarine in 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Cook onions and garlic in margarine 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are brown and caramelized; remove from heat.

You know, I can buy just about anything I would want to have but the gifts that really means the most to me are the ones that somebody took the time to personally make. Now, that's a gift. Anything else is just a present. You can't go wrong with home made bread and cookies. You did good, girl. Don't be ashamed of giving a gift from your heart.

3/4 cup water
2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

2 medium onions, sliced

Directions:

Onion Topping:

You know, I can buy just about anything I would want to have but the gifts that really means the most to me are the ones that somebody took the time to personally make. Now, that's a gift. Anything else is just a present. You can't go wrong with home made bread and cookies. You did good, girl. Don't be ashamed of giving a gift from your heart.

Thanks for that! I'm going to do this for one kid, the other two are getting breakfast breads, since the first child doesn't go sweet. LOL!

All of them are getting Snickerdoodles, my own recipe. Seems the darling daughter made them from a recipe. She didn't like. So, I'll make them and give them my recipe. ;)

It sounds great Annie. And i agree with BBD.. you are giving a give of love from the heart. :)

Thanks for that! I'm going to do this for one kid, the other two are getting breakfast breads, since the first child doesn't go sweet. LOL!

All of them are getting Snickerdoodles, my own recipe. Seems the darling daughter made them from a recipe. She didn't like. So, I'll make them and give them my recipe. ;)

That's better than anything you can buy them. :up:

Every year for Christmas my grandmother used to make us all Ponhaus. We looked forward to it all year long (having it for breakfast on Christmas morning was a huge treat). Homemade gifts are the best.

My son really loved my bourbon balls ... so did his sarge. :lol:

I wish I could get into the spirit enough to do some baking. I'm just so totally not into Christmas this year.

oatmeal cookies...with golden raisins......

i invested in two new cookie sheets...nordicware...made in the usa....for 16 bucks including taxes....

but yea its a hard candy christmas here too

I have my 2 kiddos plus 10 nieces and nephews ranging in age from 19 to 8 months. :eek:

All the grownups and the practically grownup nephews are getting goody baskets too, assuming I can get all the rest of that baking done. The smaller kiddos of course are a different story. :lol:

Nothing says "teenage boy" or better yet, "college freshman boy" like a big ole care package. The grownups don't seem to mind either.

I have my 2 kiddos plus 10 nieces and nephews ranging in age from 19 to 8 months. :eek:

All the grownups and the practically grownup nephews are getting goody baskets too, assuming I can get all the rest of that baking done. The smaller kiddos of course are a different story. :lol:

Nothing says "teenage boy" or better yet, "college freshman boy" like a big ole care package. The grownups don't seem to mind either.

Yep, the only bought gift is for the grandnephew! He's only 8 mo old, but Christmas is about children. ;)

Good for you Annie! There's nothing better than a homemade gift at Christmas. And Snickerdoodles .... MMMMMMM! I doubled my batch of those this year. Some of us got into a discussion in the Coffee Shop thread regarding cookie recipes. AgainSheila read I was making some and asked to get on my mailing list. :lol: Well, I shipped some out to her and they should be arriving on her doorstep on Wednesday.

I have money to buy gifts and I have. But there is something so rewarding about baking and packaging and gifting my own homemade goodies. And that is exactly what I've been doing the past few weeks. In fact, I spent about 3 hours yesterday packaging and decorating boxes full of 3-chip English toffee. I have sent out 3 gift baskets through UPS and I have another two I have to get together on Christmas Eve morning.

Last year a good friend gave me a homemade button tree. She bought a piece of tree shaped styrofoam and adorned it with antique buttons using colored topped push-pins, all in different shades of green. It was one of my favorite gifts.

Good for you Annie! There's nothing better than a homemade gift at Christmas. And Snickerdoodles .... MMMMMMM! I doubled my batch of those this year. Some of us got into a discussion in the Coffee Shop thread regarding cookie recipes. AgainSheila read I was making some and asked to get on my mailing list. :lol: Well, I shipped some out to her and they should be arriving on her doorstep on Wednesday.

I have money to buy gifts and I have. But there is something so rewarding about baking and packaging and gifting my own homemade goodies. And that is exactly what I've been doing the past few weeks. In fact, I spent about 3 hours yesterday packaging and decorating boxes full of 3-chip English toffee. I have sent out 3 gift baskets through UPS and I have another two I have to get together on Christmas Eve morning.

Last year a good friend gave me a homemade button tree. She bought a piece of tree shaped styrofoam and adorned it with antique buttons using colored topped push-pins, all in different shades of green. It was one of my favorite gifts.

I make 6 doz at a time, thank God for the Mixmaster! I'm using red and green sugars for color, instead of the white for rolling.

Actually older son is on break now, so he's coming over to bake cookies too! Looks like it's the gift of the year.

Every year for Christmas my grandmother used to make us all Ponhaus. We looked forward to it all year long (having it for breakfast on Christmas morning was a huge treat). Homemade gifts are the best.

I never hear of that before. Looked it up and found this recipe, sounds good!

http://www.familyoven.com/offsite?r_id=202083&u=http://www.recipezaar.com/146420

Nana's Pa Dutch Potato and Bread Filling

By *Parsley* on November 28, 2005

* timer
* Prep Time: 25 mins
* Total Time: 1 1/4 hr
* Servings: 15

About This Recipe

"This is my Nana's mother's recipe, which was probably her mother's (who only spoke Pa-German). Nana made this every holiday with turkey and ham. It's a bit of work, but well worth it. Nana always made it the day before and baked it the day of eating it."
Ingredients

o 5 lbs potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut up
o 4 tablespoons butter
o 1 1/2 cups milk
o 1 cup chicken stock
o 3/4 cup butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)
o 3 cups finely chopped celery ( use the leaves also)
o 2 cups finely chopped sweet onions
o 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
o 1/2 teaspoon salt ( or more to taste)
o 1/2 teaspoon pepper
o 7 -8 slices toasted white bread, cut into small cubes
o 3 eggs, beaten

Directions

1. Boil potatoes until tender; drain. Place in large bowl and mash with 4 tbsp butter, milk and chicken stock.
2. While potatoes are cooking, in a large skillet over med-high heat, melt 3/4 cup butter; add chopped celery, onion, and parsley; sautee until tender -- about 7-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and add the toasted bread cubes. Cook, stirring frequently, for another 4-5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and fold into the mashed potato mixture. Fold in the beaten eggs and stir everything together well.
4. Pour into a greased/sprayed 13" x 9" (or larger) pan. Cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until lightly browning on top.
5. Serve.

Ponhaus is actually a breakfast meat that is cooked in a loaf pan. It is also referred to as Scrapple in some cultures. Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Ponhaus

One 3-pound bone-in pork butt, trimmed of visible fat
4 quarts water
Salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons rubbed sage
1 teaspoon ground savory
1/8 teaspoon allspice (start with less)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (start with less)
1/8 teaspoon cloves
3 cups corn meal

Place the pork and water in an 8-quart stock pot. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until pork is tender, about 2 hours. Place the meat on a large plate; reserve the stock. When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove it from the bones and discard excess fat. Chop the meat very finely; set aside. (See the Variations below for chopping methods.)

Place 2-1/2 quarts of the stock in a 5-quart pot. Add the thyme, sage, savory, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Bring to a boil and gradually add the corn meal, stirring or whisking rapidly until it is all combined. Reduce the heat to medium or medium-low and continue to cook, stirring often, until the mixture is very thick, so that a spoon almost stands up by its own, about 15 minutes. (If it gets too thick, just add a little more of the broth and stir well.) Add the meat and stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. After a couple minutes, taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. Scrapple must be well-seasoned or it will taste very bland when fried.

Place a piece of waxed paper into the bottom of two 9x5 loaf pans so that the ends extend over the two long sides. That will make it easier to lift the refrigerated loaf out of the pan later. Pour half the mixture into each pan. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight or until chilled and solid.

To fry, remove the loaf from the pan and place on cutting surface. Slice into about 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add some butter and, as soon as it melts, add the scrapple slices. It is critical with scrapple to let each side brown thoroughly before attempting to turn it over or it will stick and fall apart, so be very patient. Serve as is or, as many PA Dutchmen would do, with ketchup or apple butter.

Homemade Scrapple (PA Dutch Pon Haus) | Recipe from Teri's Kitchen

Recipe plus helpful tips at link :)

Last edited:
Personal Depression Gifts

999163.jpg

images

razor-knife.jpg

Forum List

Back