Persecution of homosexuals in Nazi Germany and the Holocaust

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
In the 1920s, homosexual people in Germany, particularly in Berlin, enjoyed a higher level of freedom and acceptance than anywhere else in the world. However, upon the rise of Adolf Hitler, gay men and, to a lesser extent, lesbians, were two of the numerous groups targeted by the Nazi Party and were ultimately among Holocaust victims. Beginning in 1933, gay organizations were banned, scholarly books about homosexuality, and sexuality in general, were burned, and homosexuals within the Nazi Party itself were murdered. The Gestapo compiled lists of homosexuals, who were compelled to sexually conform to the "German norm".

An estimated 1.2 million men were homosexual in Germany in 1928 (6% of men over the age of 20). Between 1933-45, an estimated 100,000 men were arrested as homosexuals, of which some 50,000 were officially sentenced. Most of these men served time in regular prisons, and an estimated 5,000 to 15,000 of those sentenced were incarcerated in concentration camps. It is unclear how many of the 5,000 to 15,000 eventually perished in the camps, but leading scholar Ruediger Lautman believes that the death rate of homosexuals in concentration camps may have been as high as 60%. Homosexuals in the camps were treated in an unusually cruel manner by their captors, and were also persecuted by their fellow inmates. This was a factor in the high death rate for homosexuals, compared to other groups.

After the war, the treatment of homosexuals in concentration camps went unacknowledged by most countries, and some men were even re-arrested and imprisoned based on evidence found during the Nazi years. It was not until the 1980s that governments began to acknowledge this episode, and not until 2002 that the German government apologized to the gay community. This period still provokes controversy, however. In 2005, the European Parliament adopted a resolution on the Holocaust which included the persecution of homosexuals.

Violence against LGBT people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

In the 1920s, homosexual people in Germany, particularly in Berlin, enjoyed a higher level of freedom and acceptance than anywhere else in the world. However, upon the rise of Adolf Hitler, gay men and, to a lesser extent, lesbians, were two of the numerous groups targeted by the Nazi Party and were ultimately among Holocaust victims. Beginning in 1933, gay organizations were banned, scholarly books about homosexuality, and sexuality in general, were burned, and homosexuals within the Nazi Party itself were murdered. The Gestapo compiled lists of homosexuals, who were compelled to sexually conform to the "German norm".

An estimated 1.2 million men were homosexual in Germany in 1928 (6% of men over the age of 20). Between 1933-45, an estimated 100,000 men were arrested as homosexuals, of which some 50,000 were officially sentenced. Most of these men served time in regular prisons, and an estimated 5,000 to 15,000 of those sentenced were incarcerated in concentration camps. It is unclear how many of the 5,000 to 15,000 eventually perished in the camps, but leading scholar Ruediger Lautman believes that the death rate of homosexuals in concentration camps may have been as high as 60%. Homosexuals in the camps were treated in an unusually cruel manner by their captors, and were also persecuted by their fellow inmates. This was a factor in the high death rate for homosexuals, compared to other groups.

After the war, the treatment of homosexuals in concentration camps went unacknowledged by most countries, and some men were even re-arrested and imprisoned based on evidence found during the Nazi years. It was not until the 1980s that governments began to acknowledge this episode, and not until 2002 that the German government apologized to the gay community. This period still provokes controversy, however. In 2005, the European Parliament adopted a resolution on the Holocaust which included the persecution of homosexuals.

its well known that gays were persecuted by the nazis... so what's your angle on this?

o his angle will be this....he likes to play numbers...how many really died.....are the figures for the death of jews overblown blah blah blah....why do we remember the jews and not the gays?

being his friend allows me to see his angle.

Most people know about the "pink triangle" that male homosexuals were forced to wear on their uniforms in the nazi prison camps.

But few people are aware that Lesbians in Hitler's concentration camps were required to wear the "black triangle" badge.

I wonder if the black triangle badge was kind of an inside joke dreamed up by the nazis. :eusa_angel:

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(badge)

Most people know about the "pink triangle" that male homosexuals were forced to wear on their uniforms in the nazi prison camps.

But few people are aware that Lesbians in Hitler's concentration camps were required to wear the "black triangle" badge.

I wonder if the black triangle badge was kind of an inside joke dreamed up by the nazis. :eusa_angel:

few people know it because it is wrong.

black triangle was for asoziale.

so your joke fails. :(

What's with the obsession with nazis and gay sex?

Maybe I am wrong, but the homos, gypsies, russian prisoners, christians, etc.

Never seem to be included in the holocaust narratives of people being gassed.

Only the Jews claim to have been killed in the gas chambers. :doubt:

its well known that gays were persecuted by the nazis... so what's your angle on this?

I hear Hitler was gay and so were many of his hierarchy. Is this true?

Last edited:
Gay men suffered unusually cruel treatment in the concentration camps. They faced persecution not only from German soldiers but also from other prisoners, and many gay men were beaten to death. Additionally, gay men in forced labor camps routinely received more grueling and dangerous work assignments than other non-Jewish inmates, under the policy of "Extermination Through Work". SS soldiers also were known to use gay men for target practice, aiming their weapons at the pink triangles their human targets were forced to wear.

Infamous Nazi doctor Carl Vaernet who conducted medical experiments on gay prisoners.The harsh treatment can be attributed to the view of the SS guards toward gay men, as well as to the homophobic attitudes present in German society at large. The marginalization of gay men in Germany was reflected in the camps. Many died from beatings, some of them caused by other prisoners. Nazi doctors often used gay men for scientific experiments in an attempt to locate a "gay gene" to "cure" any future Aryan children who were gay.

Violence against LGBT people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nazi's only did it for a few years. Christians, Muslims and Jews for as long as their religions have been around. So they were able to "get" a lot more of their own children.

This thread should be in the "Lesbians In Prison Forum."

and if there is no such Forum......

then there damn well should be!

Looking for kinky pics of Rosie O'Donnell?

Looking for kinky pics of Rosie O'Donnell?

I can tell you're pretty aroused by the thought, but....

Has she been in Prison?

so sunni if and when you make the point that more were killed than just jews...what will it matter? are you outraged that jews keep the concept of "never again" going...while genocides continue...i have often said it should read "never again to us" but i digress...israel has ever right to exist...they may have achieved their goals by hook or crook but they sure achieved them. they have a homeland....and now they have displaced another people to do it.. those lands were hardly barren they were olive orchards...that is gone now...what a price israel is to pay for having their lands....continual attacks...
while they whittle away at the pals....who will outbreed the jews and take over in the future....

here is my place on this whole thing...the victor has always written the "accepted" history....neither side is all right nor all wrong...what always amazes me....if you listen closely ..the same story is told....by both sides....oppression...etc...watching the documentaries on the fence and the checkpoints...you see a cruel side of the nature of man...to hold that kinda power over others lives...

but as much as i disagree with the fence.... i would not accept missiles being lobbed at my home any more than anyone else would....it has become a quagmire...i resist playing both sides for a peace neither has any real interest in...if the middle east was at peace..it would not receive the attention nor the monies it does.

some day you will explain how a nice texas boy like you converted to islam...i am sure it is a journey of discovery....and i would love to hear it...sadly you would be attack unmercifully by this board.

i have seen the documentary on the world link station....okay here is what i dont get...you got all these religions....jews, christians and muslims...now to me....the untrained eye...the jews and muslims have a lot in common...and somehow the jews have hoodwinked the christians in thinking that the jews are their buddies...i mean come on...let me write a book that makes me the good guy and tells everyone if they help me..they will be helped..and yet the christians fall for all this....you got the off brand religion....that are considered cults...

what amazes me...is the total denial of the bible verse where jesus says....he came only for the jews...but i digress...

all this hate goes back centuries...so what the fuck there aint gonna be any peace till one of you takes out the other...with that said....why all the pussy footing?

Forum List

Back