Perry's Evolving view on Gay Marriage

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
This is an interesting article. Perry may have gotten himself in some trouble with the religious right on this one, but I think overall, he's correct.

RealClearPolitics - Perry, Conservatives and Gay Marriage: An Evolving View?

But it was Perry's comments Friday in Colorado that have made social conservatives uneasy, and they expect him to explain himself upon entering the presidential race.

At an event in Aspen, Perry said, "Our friends in New York six weeks ago passed a statute that said marriage can be between two people of the same sex. And you know what? That's New York, and that's their business, and that's fine with me." He continued, "That is their call. If you believe in the 10th Amendment, stay out of their business."

Regardless how you feel about this issue (personally, I think there's nothing wrong with gay marriage, and it's certainly preferable to the alternatives of gays pretending to be straight), he has a valid point. Some states have already legalized it. Others have slapped on the bandaid of "Civil Unions". The alternative to letting the states deal with it is to pass a constitutional amendment, which would be a bad idea for a number of reasons.

First, you'd never get 2/3rds of both houses of Congress and 38 states to ratify such an amendment.

Second, giving the issue the heft of a constitutional amendment (which really should only be for correcting flaws in the constitution) is a bad idea generally. We all saw what happened with Prohibition, when a part of the country tried to force an amendment down the rest of the country's throat.

But this is going to get him into trouble with the haters, no doubt. Especially the ones who use the bible to justify their hate.

Forum List

Back