Perry Wants Part Time Congress

A Part-Time Congress and Term Limits would solve most of our problems. They just meet too often and constantly over-reach. And they get too entrenched with the special interest groups. New & fresh faces every few years would be great for the country. That's how i feel anyway.
Congressional approval would drop from 9% to 1%.

I disagree.

Part time congress would keep Congress connected with their constiuents. They would have to remain connected with day to day activities of life.

It would also keep congress from meddling in our life more often.

Increase trust and less intrusion would make a happier people.
Being a congressman is already a part time job. 109 days a year is not exactly full time work. This is probably the most insane idea Perry has come up with. Government would be run by the administration and the courts.

'Do-Nothing Congresses' sure do get a bad wrap from the usual suspects. 'Do-Nothing Congresses' are exactly what we need right now. Hasn't our Government screwed things up enough? Why the Hell do people want more Government? That's just so crazy. We have more than enough Government in our lives already. Congress meeting less often is a fantastic idea.

So you're an anarchist?

I disagree.

Part time congress would keep Congress connected with their constiuents. They would have to remain connected with day to day activities of life.

Being a congressman is already a part time job. 109 days a year is not exactly full time work. This is probably the most insane idea Perry has come up with. Government would be run by the administration and the courts.

There's an old joke about some carpenters working at a church. They see the minister in his office and strike up a conversation, and ask him if he has another job. The minister replies no, this is my only job. To which the carpenters reply "Well could you get full-time work if you wanted it?"

That's my way of saying the minister works more than just Sunday morning, and Congress is supposed to work more than the days that they are in session.

Their work schedule is not the problem. The GOP is the problem.

I disagree.

There's an old joke about some carpenters working at a church. They see the minister in his office and strike up a conversation, and ask him if he has another job. The minister replies no, this is my only job. To which the carpenters reply "Well could you get full-time work if you wanted it?"

That's my way of saying the minister works more than just Sunday morning, and Congress is supposed to work more than the days that they are in session.

Yeah...it's the GOP, truthmatters, er, I mean RDean, er I mean SAT. :cuckoo:

One of the better ideas any politician's ever come up with. The less they're all in session the less mischief they can get into on our behalf. Sounds like Rick would bring a little Texas to the cesspool that is D.C.

It's a HORRIBLE idea. We pay these people six figure salaries in taxpayer money. I demand they work a full time schedule for such pay. Congress is hardly capable of getting anything done as it is. Cutting back their hours isn't going to make anything better. Do we have a budget yet?

So cut their pay in line with their hours. Idiot.

No member of our government should earn more than our front line military.

I disagree.

Actually, the biggest problem is a bipartisan one... they put their own self interests above those of their states or their country. Both sides. Equally. Themselves and their party over state and country.

Bunch of dishonest hacks.... but it does explain why you skip happily alongside them.

I disagree.

Can you explain why the GOP is the problem?

Obama has presented ideas to the Congress that the GOP has, repeatedly, in the past, been strongly in favor of....and yet the GOP rejects them.

The ACA is based on a proposal from the 90s from the Heritage Foundation. It was supported by Newt. It was adopted by Romney in Massachusetts. And yet when Obama proposed it, the GOP attacked it with lies, disinformation, and complete refusal to work with the Democrats.

The GOP recently rejected a highway bill, which is unprecedented.

The GOP had a bizarre fit over raising the debt ceiling, something which was uncontroversial until now.

McConnell openly said that his priority was going after Obama's job, and not serving either his state or his country in the Senate.

The GOP campaigned on jobs, jobs, jobs, but they lied, lied, lied. They've spent their time on things like anti-abortion bills.

Everyone here has seen this. The GOP is obstructionist for the sake of partisan gain. NO, both sides have not acted in this manner.

Less Government,not more. Hell yea they should meet less often. When they're away the People are so much happier. They should definitely meet less often. The nation can only benefit.

A Part-Time Congress and Term Limits would solve most of our problems. They just meet too often and constantly over-reach. And they get too entrenched with the special interest groups. New & fresh faces every few years would be great for the country. That's how i feel anyway.

I disagree.

It wouldn't do any of that.

Which is bad because every right wing poster here sounds positively catatonic. Never seen a group of people sound so downright miserable.

Obama has presented ideas to the Congress that the GOP has, repeatedly, in the past, been strongly in favor of....and yet the GOP rejects them.

The ACA is based on a proposal from the 90s from the Heritage Foundation. It was supported by Newt. It was adopted by Romney in Massachusetts. And yet when Obama proposed it, the GOP attacked it with lies, disinformation, and complete refusal to work with the Democrats.

The GOP had a bizarre fit over raising the debt ceiling, something which was uncontroversial until now.

McConnell openly said that his priority was going after Obama's job, and not serving either his state or his country in the Senate.

The GOP campaigned on jobs, jobs, jobs, but they lied, lied, lied. They've spent their time on things like anti-abortion bills.

Everyone here has seen this. The GOP is obstructionist for the sake of partisan gain. NO, both sides have not acted in this manner.

Care to take a look at Harry Reid's desk at the mountain of House bills that have been passed and forwarded to the Senate that the Dem-bulbs won't even bring to a vote?

Now, who's "obstructing"?

Oh.....and how's that BUDGET coming along?????????
You realize that we're going into our 3rd year without one right???

Plenty of Americans had problems with increasing the debt ceiling without doing real cuts in the budget. I'm one. Obama campaigned on jobs jobs jobs and what did he spend a year doing? Health Care reform, you know, "Let's pass it so we can see what's in it?"

The new Congressmen who came in in 2010 was a reality check for Obama andhis supporters. Tea Party sponsored Republicans came in and probably will again.

'Do-Nothing Congresses' sure do get a bad wrap from the usual suspects. 'Do-Nothing Congresses' are exactly what we need right now. Hasn't our Government screwed things up enough? Why the Hell do people want more Government? That's just so crazy. We have more than enough Government in our lives already. Congress meeting less often is a fantastic idea.

So you're an anarchist?

No, he's a lunatic.

The GOP is only half the problem. The Democrats are the other half.

That is true, the Congress was in session a similar amount of time under Democratic control.

Obviously the system we have needs to be changed. Therefore, I would be willing to give Perry's plan a look. No way in hell it ever gets done but it is at least lip service to the dysfunction in Washington

A couple months ago I read an Op-ed suggesting that the US perhaps needs to move to a more Westminster style legislature. At the time I kinda scoffed at the thought. But I'm starting to wonder if it's not maybe a good idea after all. Though, I think such a plan would only be most valuable if new parties are able to emerge and break up the Republicrat stronghold.

The GOP is only half the problem. The Democrats are the other half.

Actually, the real problem is the fucking morons who mindlessly vote for either the GOP or the Dems. Voters who excuse or ignore corruption, just as long as the guy has the right letter after his name. They are the ones who carry the weight of responsibility.

Forum List

Back