Perry Points to ‘Idiotic’ U.S. Rule That Doesn’t Exist

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Perry Points to ‘Idiotic’ U.S. Rule That Doesn’t Exist - Washington Wire - WSJ

For a small-government conservative on the presidential campaign stump like Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a new federal regulation forcing farmers to get commercial drivers licenses would make a perfect example of Barack Obama’s Washington run amok.

But there is no such regulation.

During his debut in Iowa Sunday night in Waterloo, then again at on Monday at the Iowa State Fair Monday, Gov. Perry brought up the phantom “obscene, crazy” regulation in Texan terms.

“If you’re a tractor driver, if you drive your tractor across a public road, you’re gonna have to have a commercial driver’s license. Now how idiotic is that?” he thundered to the fair crowd in Des Moines, with the rejoinder, “What were they thinkin’?”

Here’s what they were thinking. Earlier this year, the State of Illinois began regulating certain kinds of farmers as commercial motor vehicle drivers, a move that caused a lot of consternation in the Illinois farming community, seeing as it would require stiff new driving tests, periodic drug testing and other hurdles. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration stepped in to clarify whether the states had the right to do what Illinois had done, and on May 31, the U.S. Department of Transportation issued a public notice asking for comment on the commercial licensing of farm equipment.

Many in the farm community saw that notice as evidence that federal regulations were brewing, and the rumor went viral. That speeded up the process in Washington. Last Wednesday, the agency moved to put the issue to rest. The guidance the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration put out did exactly opposite what Gov. Perry said. It told the states “the common sense exemptions that allow farmers, their employers, and their families to accomplish their day-to-day work and transport their products to market” should remain in place

Rick Perry: Complaining about a make-believe regulation that was actually proposed at the state level. :lol:

A Republican, upset about a mythical rule.

I guess no Democrat would EVER make that mistake, now would they...

Obama to Call for End to Non-Existent ROTC Ban in Tonight’s SOTU Address

According to a leaked advance copy of President Obama’s State of the Union speech, the president will, with Don’t Ask Don’t Tell on the way out, ask America’s colleges and universities to let ROTC back in:

Our troops come from every corner of this country – they are black, white, Latino, Asian and Native American. They are Christian and Hindu, Jewish and Muslim. And, yes, we know that some of them are gay. Starting this year, no American will be forbidden from serving the country they love because of who they love. And with that change, I call on all of our college campuses to open their doors to our military recruiters and the ROTC. It is time to leave behind the divisive battles of the past. It is time to move forward as one nation.

There’s one problem with that call, though — the doors aren’t closed now.

As Professor Diane Mazur noted in the New York Times three months ago, no college or university currently bars ROTC from campus. Not one. Some faculty and students are opposed to such programs, and some universities choose not to grant course credit for ROTC, but the ban is entirely a myth.

OOPS.

So in order to deflect against what Perry did, bring up what President Obama once did. :lol:

President Obama was wrong in that case, just like Rick Perry was in this case. However, the fact your first response was to defend Perry says everything I need to know. :lol:

So in order to deflect against what Perry did, bring up what President Obama once did. :lol:

President Obama was wrong in that case, just like Rick Perry was in this case. However, the fact your first response was to defend Perry says everything I need to know. :lol:

re-read my first sentence in my post...

The very first thing I did was point out he was upset about a non-existent rule... yet I am deflecting & defending?

This is the kind of thing that keeps Snopes.com in business.

And the state of Il did propose it, so we do need to be wary. There is some well intentioned weasel in DC who does think it will be a good idea, and we may see it come on down the line sooner or later.

the whole point of the discussion is that regulators do run off the reservation, and do need policing. At all levels.

some states are trying to pass such a rule.

I don't see how him putting it at the Fed level is supposed to be headline news or even thread worthy.

Because the initiative came from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

By JOEL TURNER - Staff Writer

Fifth District Congressman Robert Hurt (R-Chatham) said that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has dropped a proposal to require farmers to obtain commercial driver's licenses to use and transport farm vehicles and equipment.

Due to pressure from Congress and the agricultural community, Hurt said, the DOT announced that it would not pursue any new rules or regulations governing the transport of agricultural products.

Last edited:
The very idiotic idea was indeed floated:

Agriculture groups were alarmed this spring when the transportation department asked for thoughts on whether commercial truck safety regulations also should apply to farmers who drive equipment on highways and rural roads within their own state.

U.S. transportation agency won't require farmers to upgrade to commercial licenses to drive on rural roads | Great Falls Tribune | greatfallstribune.com

Also, the possibility -however debatably unlikely- remains that such a patently stupid idea could be put into place by DOT regulatory fiat.

Good thing he didn't say anything really stupid, like commenting about needing an Indian dialect to get by at 7-11 stores, or his political career would be kaput! :rolleyes:

The very first thing I did was point out he was upset about a non-existent rule... yet I am deflecting & defending?

Don't you all just love how 'some posters' outright lie about others... then flee their own threads when they are called on it?

This is the kind of thing that keeps Snopes.com in business.

And the state of Il did propose it, so we do need to be wary. There is some well intentioned weasel in DC who does think it will be a good idea, and we may see it come on down the line sooner or later.

the whole point of the discussion is that regulators do run off the reservation, and do need policing. At all levels.
I don't even give those weasels credit for being well-intended anymore.

I don't see how him putting it at the Fed level is supposed to be headline news or even thread worthy.

Fifth District Congressman Robert Hurt (R-Chatham) said that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has dropped a proposal to require farmers to obtain commercial driver's licenses to use and transport farm vehicles and equipment.

Due to pressure from Congress and the agricultural community, Hurt said, the DOT announced that it would not pursue any new rules or regulations governing the transport of agricultural products.

Well I'm glad to see this didn't pass, at the federal level.

krist on a crutch they really did try it.

For a small-government conservative on the presidential campaign stump like Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a new federal regulation forcing farmers to get commercial drivers licenses would make a perfect example of Barack Obama’s Washington run amok.

During his debut in Iowa Sunday night in Waterloo, then again at on Monday at the Iowa State Fair Monday, Gov. Perry brought up the phantom “obscene, crazy” regulation in Texan terms.

“If you’re a tractor driver, if you drive your tractor across a public road, you’re gonna have to have a commercial driver’s license. Now how idiotic is that?” he thundered to the fair crowd in Des Moines, with the rejoinder, “What were they thinkin’?”

Here’s what they were thinking. Earlier this year, the State of Illinois began regulating certain kinds of farmers as commercial motor vehicle drivers, a move that caused a lot of consternation in the Illinois farming community, seeing as it would require stiff new driving tests, periodic drug testing and other hurdles. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration stepped in to clarify whether the states had the right to do what Illinois had done, and on May 31, the U.S. Department of Transportation issued a public notice asking for comment on the commercial licensing of farm equipment.

Many in the farm community saw that notice as evidence that federal regulations were brewing, and the rumor went viral. That speeded up the process in Washington. Last Wednesday, the agency moved to put the issue to rest. The guidance the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration put out did exactly opposite what Gov. Perry said. It told the states “the common sense exemptions that allow farmers, their employers, and their families to accomplish their day-to-day work and transport their products to market” should remain in place

Rick Perry: Complaining about a make-believe regulation that was actually proposed at the state level. :lol:

You might want to do a little research before you believe what some blog in the WSJ declares to be the truth.

It was in fact proposed by the DOT (yes, the Federal body governing transportation laws) that farmers would have to acquire a CDL to operate their equipment.

Now who's the idiot?

Rick

Don't you all just love how 'some posters' outright lie about others... then flee their own threads when they are called on it?
Hell, li'l Muddbutt logged out, before his failboat could arrive. :lmao:

I suppose nobody bothered to actually read the article.

Many in the farm community saw that notice as evidence that federal regulations were brewing, and the rumor went viral. That speeded up the process in Washington. Last Wednesday, the agency moved to put the issue to rest. The guidance the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration put out did exactly opposite what Gov. Perry said. It told the states “the common sense exemptions that allow farmers, their employers, and their families to accomplish their day-to-day work and transport their products to market” should remain in place.

“We have no intention of instituting onerous regulations on the hardworking families who feed our country and fuel our economy,” Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, himself an Illinoisan and a Republican, said in the agency’s statement Aug. 10.

“We want to make it absolutely clear that farmers will not be subjected to new and impractical safety regulations,” said U.S. Transportation Deputy Secretary John Porcari.

Oddball's link is exactly what this one says.

It was never proposed by the Federal Government.

You might want to do a little research before you believe what some blog in the WSJ declares to be the truth.

It was in fact proposed by the DOT (yes, the Federal body governing transportation laws) that farmers would have to acquire a CDL to operate their equipment.

Now who's the idiot?

Rick

You might want to read the article before commenting on it, otherwise you're the one who comes off as foolish. Once again, the DOT never proposed it. They did ask for public comment on it after the Federal Government stepped in to clarify after the state of Illinois enacted some regulations.

Certainly. The majority of your post was spent on President Obama and how Democrats do the same thing.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Missourian again.

He heard about it on Fox Noise...

heres another example- we could go the route where in a farmer in Iowa made a comment to obama at a townhall about dust pollution regs and how they didn't need to be choked by anymore regs...obama told him;

“If you hear something is happening, but it hasn’t happened, don’t always believe what you hear.”

When the room broke into soft laughter, the president added, “No — and I’m serious about that.”

Saying that “folks in Washington” like to get “all ginned up” about things that aren’t necessarily happening (“Look what’s comin’ down the pipe!”), Obama’s advice was simple: “Contact USDA.”

“Talk to them directly. Find out what it is that you’re concerned about,” Obama told the man. “My suspicion is, a lot of times, they’re going to be able to answer your questions and it will turn out that some of your fears are unfounded.”

apparently the EPA was considering regulations to do just that, as there is a bill in congress waiting on a vote to block such a move;

H.R.1633 - Farm Dust Regulation Prevention Act of 2011

To establish a temporary prohibition against revising any national ambient air quality standard applicable to coarse particulate matter, to limit Federal regulation of nuisance dust in areas in which such dust is regulated under State, tribal, or local law, and for other purposes.

H.R.1633: Farm Dust Regulation Prevention Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Last edited:

Forum List

Back