Perry on Fox News Sunday

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.

He's not helping himself much. Chris Wallace, shockingly, destroyed him and exposed even more flip flops. He said that he opposes Federal Subsidies for energy yet Wallace shoed him writing a letter 2 years ago supporting Federal Subsidies for energy.

Perry had to admit he was flip flopping on that issue too.

Then they moved on to his being BEHIND Bachman and Paul in the polls in Iowa (not to mention Cain and Romney).

And the final word he said was that he has been "consistent"? A consistent Flip Flopper; Al Gore's former campaign manager, former Democrat, etc....sometime-birther, part-time secessionist.

Man, I hope Republicans aren't this gullible.

Under fire for number of jobs he promises, Perry defends plan
By NBC’s Carrie Dann

In his first appearance on a Sunday morning national news program as a presidential candidate, Gov. Rick Perry defended his jobs plan against accusations that it is insufficiently bold, admitted that he has changed his position on federal subsidies for the energy industry, and again slammed rival Mitt Romney on the issue of "consistency."

Asked by host Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday to explain why his new economic plan only promises the creation of 2.5 million jobs -- not as ambitious a number as many economic experts would like -- Perry said that any increase in job creation is a good one.

"I think it's amazing that people, when we've lost 2.5 million jobs in this country and there is another state that is juxtapositioned to that that created a million jobs, and for people to go 'Well, that's not enough,' he said. "Let me tell you, any jobs at this particular point in time helps."

As First Read wrote earlier this week, Perry's goal translates into about 52,000 new jobs per month over a four-year term -- a pace that current President Barack Obama currently matches. And it wouldn't likely be enough to make a dent in the unemployment rate, considering 14 million remain unemployed.

But on Sunday, Perry called the idea that his plan could actually result in an uptick in the unemployment rate "absolutely false on its face."

"The idea that I'm going to let people talk this plan down for the sake of just having an intellectual discussion, that's not correct," Perry said.

The Texas governor, who has made the elimination of federal subsidies for the energy industry a key part of his energy plan, was also pressed to explain a letter he wrote to the Department of Energy in 2008 requesting government assistance for a nuclear power facility in his home state.

"We were asking at that particular point in time for the federal government to support the nuclear power industry in the state of Texas or across the country from that standpoint," he said. "But from a general standpoint, any type of federal dollars flowing into these industries we think is bad public policy."

"I've changed my position from the standpoint of having any desire to have the federal government" participate in subsidies, Perry continued. "I've learned some things over the course of the years, and what I've learned is the federal government, you keep them out of these issues, particularly on the energy side."

Perry, who has tried to highlight rival Romney's policy flip-flops on the campaign trail, again challenged the former Massachusetts governor on "consistency" and hinted at future negative attacks by exposing "the truth."

"I don't get confused with just telling the truth. Someone might say that's negative," he said of how prepared his campaign is to attack Romney outright. "If we're telling the truth about someone, the truth is the truth whether it hurts your feelings or not."

Striking an optimistic tone about his opportunities to recover from a dizzying plunge in the polls, Perry suggested that he will take a slow-and-steady approach to a contest that is "not yet settled."

"Don't sprint it, just take a nice easy run at it and continue to stay focused and take your message to the people," he said.

It was a 5:43 clip.
Anyway, Perry is excellent and his points very good. Yes, most people will opt for the simple plan, even if they pay more in taxes that way. Because what they will look at is both the tax bill and the cost, in time or money, to prepare it. The cost to prepare the flat tax return is next to nothing. That's worth money to me.

It also unfair to score the plan based just on what today's conditions are. The plan will absolutely remove bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the economy. And Perry is right to focus on opposition from special interests who have carved out tax breaks. I wish the plan did not include mortgage deduction but heck, anything would be better than what we have now.

I love watchign the Left call Perry an idiot and a loser. They have a demonstrated lack of judgment just for being on the Left. And they won't call this one any better.

There is a huge amount of investible funds that companies are holding on to until Obama is gone. Perry's estimate of job creation will be very short. I think it will do more like 1M a month.

The Texas governor, who has made the elimination of federal subsidies for the energy industry a key part of his energy plan, was also pressed to explain a letter he wrote to the Department of Energy in 2008 requesting government assistance for a nuclear power facility in his home state.

"We were asking at that particular point in time for the federal government to support the nuclear power industry in the state of Texas or across the country from that standpoint," he said. "But from a general standpoint, any type of federal dollars flowing into these industries we think is bad public policy."

"I've changed my position from the standpoint of having any desire to have the federal government" participate in subsidies, Perry continued. "I've learned some things over the course of the years, and what I've learned is the federal government, you keep them out of these issues, particularly on the energy side."
He’s changed his position from the standpoint of having to negotiate a radical rightwing gauntlet in the primaries.

The irony of course is Perry was doing what any governor would do: get Federal money sent to your state.

It seems that in the bizarre alternate universe of the extreme right, one must be an incompetent governor or congressman to win the approval of conservatives.

He’s changed his position from the standpoint of having to negotiate a radical rightwing gauntlet in the primaries.

The irony of course is Perry was doing what any governor would do: get Federal money sent to your state.

It seems that in the bizarre alternate universe of the extreme right, one must be an incompetent governor or congressman to win the approval of conservatives.

Thanks for making it clear.
It wasn't a flip flop at all. As governor he has an obligation to get the best deal from the feds for his state. But he can still think it is bad policy to do so.
I take a mortgage deduction but I am in favor of eliminating it.
There is no hypocrisy or flip flopping at all.
Thanks, Clayton. The governor will appreciate your vote.

When Newt became the Speaker of the House, he was asked if he was going to be as belligerent as he was earlier in his career. He made the analogy that "You don't drive a Winnebago the way you drive a Corvette". It would be more satisfactory if he would simply admit to being the flip flopper that he is. Of course we all know Perry will do anything/say anything to become President. He even left the Democratic party to run for a job he wanted. I think that was during only his 2nd decade of being a "public servant" which has made him a multi-millionaire.

When Newt became the Speaker of the House, he was asked if he was going to be as belligerent as he was earlier in his career. He made the analogy that "You don't drive a Winnebago the way you drive a Corvette". It would be more satisfactory if he would simply admit to being the flip flopper that he is. Of course we all know Perry will do anything/say anything to become President. He even left the Democratic party to run for a job he wanted. I think that was during only his 2nd decade of being a "public servant" which has made him a multi-millionaire.

So any change in position makes one a "flip flopper"? Can you name a politician who never changed his position on anything?

So any change in position makes one a "flip flopper"? Can you name a politician who never changed his position on anything?

Did you like him better:

When he was Gore's Campaign manager?
When he left the Democratic Party to become a Republican?
When he was for limited government before he demanded your 12 y/o daughter get a series of dangerous shots?
When he was for government subsidies for energy before he was against them?

Others have flip flopped too but don't then try to characterize themselves as being "consistent".

He is the most consistent flip flopper I have ever seen, I will grant your boy that.

Did you like him better:

When he was Gore's Campaign manager?
When he left the Democratic Party to become a Republican?
When he was for limited government before he demanded your 12 y/o daughter get a series of dangerous shots?
When he was for government subsidies for energy before he was against them?

Others have flip flopped too but don't then try to characterize themselves as being "consistent".

He is the most consistent flip flopper I have ever seen, I will grant your boy that.

Reagan left the Democratic Party. Lieberman left the Democratic Party. Arlen Specter left the Democratic party and liked it so much he left the Republican party too. Bloomberg left the Democratic party and then left the GOP as well. People change their view, ya know.
Did he advocate the Feds innoculating people too? Or do you think schools requiring vaccinations is somehow not small government?
When was he for gov't energy subsidies? he never was. He requested them because they were available. Hardly the same thing.
The mroe you post, the more stupid you look.

Perry on Fox News? Shocker..

Wallace made him look like a fool pretty much.

That seems like shooting fish in a barrel. Chris Wallace is a weenie.

Well, there was one passage about federal energy subsidies where Perry said that we need to stop subsidizing energy.

Wallace referenced a letter Perry wrote endorsing the subsidies from 2 years ago.

Perry said he didn't recall.

Wallace called up the graphic for the viewers to see, highlighting his quotes.

Perry then gave this rambling answer where he had to capitulate that he has "changed his views" (what a shock).

He went from not remembering the event to remembering his position then and now; well "now" is Sunday. By Tuesday he may have totally flip flopped into Nationalizing the Industry. Stay tuned.

It was a rhetorical bitch slapping.

What would have made you say "Wow, Perry came across really well"? Maybe if he endorsed gay marriage or came out of the closet or something?

He's not for gay marriage? I thought he was at one point.

Are you saying your boy is gay?

Perry is not "my boi". Sorry.
If he were gay you'd be supporting him, I'm sure.

Not a chance. I like candidates who don't want to give 12 year olds dangerous injections to prevent STDs even when they are not sexually active. PS: Boy is spelled with a "y". Mix in a spell check.

Forum List

Back