Perry Giving up on Iowa?

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Interesting that he is pulling money out of Iowa as the caucus nears:

By JONATHAN MARTIN |
12/17/11 11:17 PM EST

Rick Perry's campaign is cutting $70,000 from its TV ad buy in Iowa over the next two weeks, sources tell POLITICO.

Perry was slated to have $380,000 worth of commercials for the coming week and $410,000 for the week after. But he's now shaved that to $330,000 for the coming week and $390,000 for the following week.

It's not a drastic reduction. The Texas governor still has a substanial network presence across Iowa's three main markets, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Sioux City, and is on cable in the smaller markts. Perry is also getting help from a SuperPAC.

But candidates usually up their TV presence in the final weeks before an election, and Perry needs a strong showing in Iowa to get back into contention. Trimming ad buys is often a sign of financial trouble.

A Perry spokesman didn't respond to an email about their reduction, but a source familiar with the campaign suggested they were juggling not cutting their TV.

Politics, Political News - POLITICO.com

Gov. Perry: "I know of three famous people that were born in Iowa: President Hoover, Robert Frost and uh, umm... I forgot the 3rd one. Oops!"

Or he might be keeping his powder dry.

here's the thing. Gingrich has lost some ground, and you might get a three way split between Newt, Mittens and Rooooooooon Paaaaaaaaullllll. Which pretty much invalidates Iowa. Mittens win NH, but that doesn't count because he lives there.

So maybe Perry gets a second look as the "NotRomney" in SC and Florida.

Maybe.

I remember the old joke about how Richard J. Daley said, "We don't want nodoby that nobody sent." The GOP is insisting on someone nobody wants.

(With apologies to Professor Rakove.)

Makes sense, he can't win there now, why waste the money. Spend it elsewhere.

Pragmatically speaking, I would say he's practicing for 2016 at this point. With the volitility in the race at this point, I go out on a limb and still say it's between Romney and Gingrich.

Pragmatically speaking, I would say he's practicing for 2016 at this point. With the volitility in the race at this point, I go out on a limb and still say it's between Romney and Gingrich.

Practicing?

He really should step away. He's putting up stuff that is going to make a 2016 bid extremely tough.

I find Perry pretty likable. He's someone who can laugh at himself whick I find refreshing.

He's no dummy. I think he's going to spend where he thinks he has a chance of winning or at least being in the top 3.

I find Perry pretty likable. He's someone who can laugh at himself whick I find refreshing.

He's no dummy. I think he's going to spend where he thinks he has a chance of winning or at least being in the top 3.

There is a lot to laugh at, thats for sure.

Perry is no dummy? Have you watched the debates? Have you seen him interview? Have you even watched his fucked up campaign ads?

Perry is about as smart as a bag of hammers. The only reason he's governor of Texas is because he's plugged into the good old boy network in this state.

Perry is no dummy? Have you watched the debates? Have you seen him interview? Have you even watched his fucked up campaign ads?

Perry is about as smart as a bag of hammers. The only reason he's governor of Texas is because he's plugged into the good old boy network in this state.

Thats very true.

I'm sorry, I don't understand how less than a 10% reduction in advertising equates to "giving up."

I'm sorry, I don't understand how less than a 10% reduction in advertising equates to "giving up."

The timing. Most sprinters who think they are going to win the race lean into the tape as they get near the finish line.

Maybe it's strategy but one has to wonder about the strategy of now conceeding the race when he was in single digits for about a month now.

Perry has ads running here in Missouri.

I doubt he'll be around on 2/7. He'll probably do better in primary states than caucus states since it is more anonymous and those who support Perry are probably ashamed to do so. Missouri is the 4th of the primary states so he may be on the ballot but I think he'll see the writing on the wall after he is handed his ass in Florida.

More bad news for Reich Perry: Due to his party's radical disregard for voting rights, the Texas Primary was pushed back to April 3 (it was going to be on March 20 if memory serves). Not good news for him at all. I guess the gay soldiers have declared war on his candidacy too.

Anyone can see he's not a good debater. Some folks just aren't.

Just how many times has he been elected to the governorship of Texas??

If he were as dumb as you think he is I doubt he would have made it past the first time.

The texas voters keep re-electing him to run the State. Doubt the good ole boy system could carry him as far as it has if he were the moron you think he is.

Unless your saying all the voters in Texas are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Last edited:

Anyone can see he's not a good debater. Some folks just aren't.

Just how many times has he been elected to the governorship of Texas??

If he were as dumb as you think he is I doubt he would have made it past the first time.

Folks in Texas aren't dumb and they keep re-electing him to run the State. Doubt the good ole boy system could carry him as far as it has if he were the moron you think he is.

Of course I don't live in Texas.

Actually, most of the politics here in Texas (and yes, I live here) is via who you know and the good old boy system.

Wanna know why Perry keeps screwing up? He's never had any real competition here in Texas because of his connections to corporations, so he never got good politically.

Which explains why he's failing miserably on the national stage. He was a big fish in a little pond who found his way out to sea and is now meeting the sharks.

Practicing?

He really should step away. He's putting up stuff that is going to make a 2016 bid extremely tough.

NOt really.

I mean, shit if Romney is the "frontrunner" after that jugfuck of a campaign he ran in 2008, Perry's sins will be largely forgotten in four years as well.

I think Perry is positioning to be the next "Not Romney" if Gingrich continues to whither under Establishment attack. If Ron Paul wins Iowa, and Romney wins New hampshire, then South Carolina becomes the Conservative Firewall it was intended to be.

Forum List

Back