Permanent Resident responsibilities.

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Navy just made an excellent point on another thread (linked) which I thought was worth it's own OP.

In it, he indicates certain responsibilities that permanent residents have. He quotes from Wiki, but I thought I should support them with a paragraph printed on the 2 page letter that I received along with my own Permanent Resident card:

Additional Information About Your Card
USCIS issues several different kinds of cards for different purposes. Please read how to use your card. Always carry your card in the United States and show it when you reenter the United States. Please keep this information for your future reference.

Any legal permanent resident knows that they have to carry their card with them in the United States and produce it when requested to do so. No permanent resident has any right to object to such a request.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/immigration-illegal-immigration/115144-mexico-migrants-face-human-rights-crisis-says-amnesty.html#post2254587

Navy just made an excellent point on another thread (linked) which I thought was worth it's own OP.

In it, he indicates certain responsibilities that permanent residents have. He quotes from Wiki, but I thought I should support them with a paragraph printed on the 2 page letter that I received along with my own Permanent Resident card:

USCIS issues several different kinds of cards for different purposes. Please read how to use your card. Always carry your card in the United States and show it when you reenter the United States. Please keep this information for your future reference.

Any legal permanent resident knows that they have to carry their card with them in the United States and produce it when requested to do so. No permanent resident has any right to object to such a request.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/immigration-illegal-immigration/115144-mexico-migrants-face-human-rights-crisis-says-amnesty.html#post2254587

One of the reasons I mentioned it bob was because there are a lot of people under the mistaken impression that Arizona somehow invented this new standard of someone required to have documentation which is complete nonsense and is only being put up by those who wish the slave trade of illegal immigration to continue for political and economic reasons. I have long thought if people really had a heart felt need to help those people who want nothing more than to come to the United States and build a better life for themselves then they would direct their attention to a system that promotes it in the first place. The other issue at hand here is what kind of message does ignoring Federal law say to all those who took the time to come to this nation Legally and had to put up with the bloated citizenship process that somtimes takes years?

Last edited:

One of the reasons I mentioned it bob was because there are a lot of people under the mistaken impression that Arizona somehow inveted this new standard of someone required to have documentation which is complete nonsense and is only being put up by those who wish the slave trade of illegal immigration to continue for political and economic reasons. I have long thought if people really had a heart felt need to help those people who want nothing more than to come to the United States and build a better life for themselves then they would direct their attention to a system that promotes it in the first place. The other issue at hand here is what kind of message does ignoring Federal law say to all those who took the time to come to this nation Legally and had to put up with the bloated citizenship process that somtimes takes years?

I was lucky. Being married to a U.S. Citizen I was fast tracked so it only took about 4 months from application to receipt of green card.

That said, I had to produce a huge amount of documentation: bank records, medical records, police record, employment information, value of property and investments, previous visas, countries visited, etc. Plus of course I had to have an independent medical test for AIDS, TB etc. Total costs of getting all the paperwork in place and filing the application was around $2000 if memory serves.

And yes, it does piss me off that people just waltz across the border and then scream about human rights when someone dares to question their right to be here.

What are the criminal penalties for not carrying the card?

One of the reasons I mentioned it bob was because there are a lot of people under the mistaken impression that Arizona somehow inveted this new standard of someone required to have documentation which is complete nonsense and is only being put up by those who wish the slave trade of illegal immigration to continue for political and economic reasons. I have long thought if people really had a heart felt need to help those people who want nothing more than to come to the United States and build a better life for themselves then they would direct their attention to a system that promotes it in the first place. The other issue at hand here is what kind of message does ignoring Federal law say to all those who took the time to come to this nation Legally and had to put up with the bloated citizenship process that somtimes takes years?

I was lucky. Being married to a U.S. Citizen I was fast tracked so it only took about 4 months from application to receipt of green card.

That said, I had to produce a huge amount of documentation: bank records, medical records, police record, employment information, value of property and investments, previous visas, countries visited, etc. Plus of course I had to have an independent medical test for AIDS, TB etc. Total costs of getting all the paperwork in place and filing the application was around $2000 if memory serves.

And yes, it does piss me off that people just waltz across the border and then scream about human rights when someone dares to question their right to be here.

Thats what I never understood, it would seem to me that rather than spend all this time on trying to promote illegal immigration because someone wants cheap labor (slave labor) we would as a nation of immigrants want to promote Legal immigration and make the process not such a pain in the back side for those that really want to come here and become citizens. I have no doubt that for the most part a lot of the people that cross the border illegally want the same , however due to our own apathy and lack of wanting to enforce the laws and a doing exactly as I mentioned promoting LEGAL immigration, we have in a de-facto way made illegal immigration an institutiuon. While I have no sympathy for any public official who would single out a person based on race, gender, etc. to simply judge laws because a state happens to be close to Arizona is just as wrong. It would be no different if Arizona bordered France and French citizens were crossing the border illegally and would expect our Govt. to enforce the laws the same. I have seen many people from the UK among them friends that have had to wait in line for years to become citizens because of many of the reasons you cite and some of them are men I was honored to know when in the Military and served in some of the same area's I did. So this issue IMHO should be an issue of making immigration and citizenship to this nation one which is uniform for those wishing to become citizens and enforcing the laws for those that try to go around that system and that is not harsh or racist it is fair.

Agreed! And it also pisses me off that these illegals waltzing across the border, could be carrying some kind of disease that is going unchecked!

I also posted this on another thread. The actual us code is, 8 U.S.C. sec 1304 (d)(e):

(d) Certificate of alien registration or alien receipt card. Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this chapter shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.
(e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties. Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Navy is right. People are attacking Arizona (because they see other people doing it on TV) because they think that the state has just invented a horrible law that will be used to terrorize Hispanics. This is not true. Arizona is just attempting to enfore the Federal Law.

It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring permanent resident card are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 264.5.

Interesting question, and I had to look it up. Couldn't find anything on the USCIS site so I called their office in Dallas. The answer is:

Strictly speaking...
It's a misdemeanor for which you can get a small fine or a short jail sentence.

In practice...
If you are able to produce other valid ID (such as a Drivers License), a cop will be able to check your status with the INS using that, but you will need to wait a lot longer because it takes longer to check something like that.

Generally if it checks out the cop will not make a big deal about it although in theory you can be charged with a misdemeanor, so I guess it depends on whether he's pissed at you for not carrying it and thereby wasting police time.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/immig...n-rights-crisis-says-amnesty.html#post2254587
Citizens shouldn't be treated like residents and aliens. Who are you to suggest that they should be?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/immig...n-rights-crisis-says-amnesty.html#post2254587

In most cases, nothing.

Citizens shouldn't be treated like residents and aliens. Who are you to suggest that they should be?

Nowhere in this thread, or any thread for that matter, have I equated the rights of citizens with the rights of residents, or suggested that they should be treated similarly. In the post you're referring to, I haven't even used the word citizens. You know that, and you're not unintelligent, so you've clearly posted that statement just to be a twat.

In most cases, nothing.

And yet...

Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

In most cases, nothing.

And yet...

Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.
Ah, this is what you are talking about. In most cases, nothing happens is what I said. And that is true.

But this is irrelevant. Citizens aren't required to carry id.

In most cases, nothing.

And yet...

Ah, this is what you are talking about. In most cases, nothing happens is what I said. And that is true.

But this is irrelevant. Citizens aren't required to carry id.

Post 10.

Forum List

Back