Perhaps the Pope's father should have worn a condom

bobbymcgill

Aug 23, 2008
The Catholic Church has been against condoms since they were invented in the 16th century --their opposition in this century is nothing new. But, when His Holiness the Pope tells Africans that condom use increases the spread of AIDS, one wonders would we all be better off if Benedict's father had slipped one on 82 years ago.

In his own words: "Aids cannot be overcome by the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, they increase the problem."

And this is God's go-to-guy? Apparently the Holy See doesn't see that the abstinence-only stance of the church has never worked and never will --just ask Sarah and Bristol Palin. And to speak such health-heresy in a country where 25 million people have died from AIDS is beyond the pale.

Condoms will increase the problem? That makes about as much sense as a divine, loving God asking a 600-year old man to build a boat so he could flood the world and kill everyone.

If you believe in that, then I suppose you will believe in anything. And that is fine. But when you hold the sway of the Pope, making such ridiculous claims based on a failed policy of abstinence, is a sin beyond forgiveness.

Bobby McGill
Idle Wordship

The Catholic Church has been against condoms since they were invented in the 16th century --their opposition in this century is nothing new. But, when His Holiness the Pope tells Africans that condom use increases the spread of AIDS, one wonders would we all be better off if Benedict's father had slipped one on 82 years ago.

In his own words: "Aids cannot be overcome by the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, they increase the problem."

And this is God's go-to-guy? Apparently the Holy See doesn't see that the abstinence-only stance of the church has never worked and never will --just ask Sarah and Bristol Palin. And to speak such health-heresy in a country where 25 million people have died from AIDS is beyond the pale.

Condoms will increase the problem? That makes about as much sense as a divine, loving God asking a 600-year old man to build a boat so he could flood the world and kill everyone.

If you believe in that, then I suppose you will believe in anything. And that is fine. But when you hold the sway of the Pope, making such ridiculous claims based on a failed policy of abstinence, is a sin beyond forgiveness.

Bobby McGill
Idle Wordship

Holy Crap!

I cannot believe it!

It blows my mind!

Condoms were invented in the 16th Century? Who would have known?

But he's the freaken pope!

fg_holycrap_youareindeedworthy.jpg

The use of condoms itself will not increase the risk more than not using a condom... but teaching it is "protection" to naive youngsters is still sort of false... Because in the false belief that they are indeed protected... the only way to get rid of the risk is to not do the behavior that causes the risk... if you have a small percentage risk even with the "protection", that is still infinitely more than no risk at all.. and you know and I know that if a kid is under the false belief and taught it is all ok, they are going to do it... hence, by definition, increasing the problem

And lord knows (no pun intended) a vast majority of the youth are not wise in their actions anyway... so teaching them that the absolute best thing to do is not to do it is the preference... hell, a good amount of the adult population are not really qualified for MENSA either

Abstinence is never going to work all the time... a lot of kids and adults will lapse into the risky behavior... but if even a few adhere to the teaching, all the better.. and lord knows, we have seen the mistakes kids make... whether it was us, friends or acquaintances we knew, or even our own family... and most everyone does have some regrets of the stupid sexual behavior of our past... the whole "what the hell were we thinking" thing... and that, as a parent, is something I would like to prevent (as much as possible) with my own kids

A kevlar vest will protect you from a 9mm round 98% of the time...pretty good odds, right?

So are you ready to test it?

Forum List

Back