Perceptions of who is more negative - Obama or McCain

Silence

wanna lick?
Aug 26, 2008
FL
Okay, I was watching Morning Joe today and Nicole Wallace, McCain's surrogate (not sure what she does exactly) was on there complaining about how Obama has run the most nasty and negative campaign in electoral history and how the media has spun it to make it appear that it's McCain's camp who are overtly negative.

Of course Joe agreed with her, as did Pat Buchanan. Mika didn't (bit shock LOL).

I guess what struck me is that it's not just the mainstream media who say that McCain has gone beyond the pale in the negative department but rather there are staunch conservatives who say the exact same thing.

How does the McCain camp reconcile the fact that within their own party they are being blasted for their negative, divisive behavior? That's not mainstream media or even Obama supporters...that's from within.

Is there some disconnect from reality here?

and what do they deem negative on Obama's part? I've seen a few overtly negative ads from Obama against McCain, the immigration one being the one that comes to mind most. But other than that his ads discuss McCain's record and what he's stood for in the Senate for the last 26 years. Is it negative simply because it doesn't jive with the Maverick image that McCain wants to project? Is it negative because it connects him to Bush, the most unpopular president in history? I've yet to see one ad attacking McCain's character, even though those arguments could be made.

Nicole went on to say that Palin and her children have been ravaged by the media and the Obama campaign which I found to be a complete distortion of the facts.

What constitutes a negative ad? is it any ad that talks about your opponent instead of what you yourself will offer? Understanding that question will help me understand how a campaign that questions Obama's patriotism, his honesty, his judgement and his honor can make the claim that they are the less negative of the two campaigns.

McCain announced that he's going to go negative. What do you think? And at his rallies Sarah and John have people yelling KILL EM and STRING EM UP so this is a no brainer.

Warning people in a commercial about McCain's past is not going negative. It's fact.

And maybe no Democrat ever went on the attack like Obama has because they didn't have the money.

I notice the whining Republicans never minded negative attack ad's when Swift Boaters were doing it or when they had more money than their Democratic rivals.

McCain announced that he's going to go negative. What do you think? And at his rallies Sarah and John have people yelling KILL EM and STRING EM UP so this is a no brainer.

Warning people in a commercial about McCain's past is not going negative. It's fact.

And maybe no Democrat ever went on the attack like Obama has because they didn't have the money.

I notice the whining Republicans never minded negative attack ad's when Swift Boaters were doing it or when they had more money than their Democratic rivals.

I really do wonder if that's what their problem is. In the past the Republicans have been the ones who were better financed and therefore more equiped to run endless ads. Obama opted out of public finance just for that reason and IMO it was the most brilliant move he could've made.

He's able to stand toe to toe with the Republican attack machine, who btw, are legendary for how vicious they can be.

I found it interesting that McCain yesterday said that John Lewis' remark about him and Palin were the most vicious he'd ever seen. Does he not recall 2000? really? IMO he is being treated with kid gloves compared to what rove and Bush did to him.

McCain is definitely being more negative... it is a major flaw in his campaign...

It is not that Obama "can stand toe to toe"... he avoids, spins, changes answers, lies, and does whatever possible to keep the vision cloudy about his true stance or his true history.... it is smart.. I don't like it, and I don't think anyone else should either, but it is a smart way to approach his campaign considering his actual stature and position

McCain is running one of the craziest campaigns in American history. The personal attacks on Obama are the worst we've seen in recent years. Combine that with Palin's blatant lying, and it's an ugly picture. The American people get it, however. The longer the campaign lasts, the better for Obama.

McCain is running one of the craziest campaigns in American history. The personal attacks on Obama are the worst we've seen in recent years. Combine that with Palin's blatant lying, and it's an ugly picture. The American people get it, however. The longer the campaign lasts, the better for Obama.

McCain is a grumpy old man who can't stop saying, "my friend."

I disagree... people hear stuff and you throw enough goebbel's lies at the wall and sometimes things stick.

Don't be cocky... karl rove doesn't readily lose elections.

It doesn't matter at this point. Obama wins. Expect 2 more rough years. 2010 will usher in a new conservative-controlled Congress and the cycle will continue.

I think its percieved that McCain's Campaign is more negative. Initially when McCain was running he talked about his plans and what the issues he found important are and people listened and agreed, he won the republican nomination. But somewhere along the line he allowed people to influence his campaign negatively, I think because of his ambitions and his life long career to Politics that he started to make things personal. I feel sorry for him because he's trying so hard to win and has reduced his own ethics to bad advice, He seems a little out of touch with main stream america. Yet I dont really think he is a bad person or a racist, I think he is more of a liberal Republican who does want to make changes in washington. Whenever I see him waiving in the crowd I become acutlely aware that he can't lift his arms up alot because he was tortured in vietnam for 5 or 6 years, when I really think about that then I know in my heart that McCain really loves America and the American people. I think he even likes Barack Obama. I just think he wants to win so bad almost like an entitlement that his ego feels bruised and he is vulnerable to bad advice.

It is not that Obama "can stand toe to toe"... he avoids, spins, changes answers, lies, and does whatever possible to keep the vision cloudy about his true stance or his true history

Interesting. I've found Obama to be quite forthright and outgoing. Can you please provide me with a link to an interview I can either read or watch where I can see evidence of this?

If you cannot prove this, then please retract your statement.

Interesting. I've found Obama to be quite forthright and outgoing. Can you please provide me with a link to an interview I can either read or watch where I can see evidence of this?

If you cannot prove this, then please retract your statement.

His answers, positions and statements have changed sometimes as quick as overnight... he flat out lies on his tax impact.... he is hardly forthright and leaves a lot of clouds of misinformation... .and WHY? Because with his lack of record, lack of experience, etc it is best to leave an empty canvas that ones clinging to his empty message of "hope" and "change" can attribute whatever they want into those mantras, whether he really says it or not....

Obama and forthright do not belong in the same descriptive sentence

McCain is definitely being more negative... it is a major flaw in his campaign...

It is not that Obama "can stand toe to toe"... he avoids, spins, changes answers, lies, and does whatever possible to keep the vision cloudy about his true stance or his true history.... it is smart.. I don't like it, and I don't think anyone else should either, but it is a smart way to approach his campaign considering his actual stature and position

Show me some mother fucking FBI investigations that have looked into Obama and his shady connection with terrorists. It is insane to even think that Obama is a terrorist or connected to terrorists. You are insane. Either that or dumb as a bag of rocks. Read a god damn book. Hell, read Obama's book.

You seriously think he'd be where he is today if that Ayers story had legs? I'm so proud of America for not making much of the Wright story. Who gives a fuck? Yes, GOD DAMN george bush and his America. Fuck you conservative treasonist/traitors who would murder 4000 soldiers for fucking oil. Fuck you for putting more people into poverty.

If the government was anything like it is now back when Ayers was supposedly a terrorist, maybe he got sick of the rich few making life shitty for the rest of us. Bush should get what Saddam got in the end. Now don't put me on a fucking terror watch list because I am not a violent person. But if I were on a jury, I'd convict Chaney and Rummy and Condy and Bush of MURDER!!!!

You are a devisive dumb prick. IMO. And your vision is cloudy because the gop has been lying to you for 30 years dumbass.

Show me some mother fucking FBI investigations that have looked into Obama and his shady connection with terrorists. It is insane to even think that Obama is a terrorist or connected to terrorists. You are insane. Either that or dumb as a bag of rocks. Read a god damn book. Hell, read Obama's book.

You seriously think he'd be where he is today if that Ayers story had legs? I'm so proud of America for not making much of the Wright story. Who gives a fuck? Yes, GOD DAMN george bush and his America. Fuck you conservative treasonist/traitors who would murder 4000 soldiers for fucking oil. Fuck you for putting more people into poverty.

If the government was anything like it is now back when Ayers was supposedly a terrorist, maybe he got sick of the rich few making life shitty for the rest of us. Bush should get what Saddam got in the end. Now don't put me on a fucking terror watch list because I am not a violent person. But if I were on a jury, I'd convict Chaney and Rummy and Condy and Bush of MURDER!!!!

You are a devisive dumb prick. IMO. And your vision is cloudy because the gop has been lying to you for 30 years dumbass.

Hmm... need an FBI investigation when it is already confirmed and a known fact that he operated with Ayers in various political ways? Used his support to get into Chicago politics?

And nobody said Obama was a terrorist... but that his judgment needs to be put into question when aligning with a known terrorist such as Ayers for political gain

ano no... troll.. fuck you

Forum List

Back