People who "hate" Christianity

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
"Why do people hate Christianity?" "Why do people attack Christianity, but never Islam or Buddhism or Hinduism?"

I've seen these questions a lot, from Christians on this and other forums, and I thought that for once I would provide a serious answer, and an opportunity for self-reflection.

It probably comes from having a lot more negative encounters with Christians than with practitioners of other faiths. The average American doesn't encounter all that many buddhists, Islamics, or Jews on a daily basis, but can't swing a dead cat without hitting several Christians. Unless you live in Dearborne, Michigan (or some other similar area with a relatively high per capita population of Muslims), the average American's opportunities for daily contacts with Muslims are extremely limited. But, most of us interact with dozens of Christians on a daily basis. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Think about it...in a group of 100 Americans, 78 will be self-professed Christians of one stripe or another. 5 will be Jewish, buddhist, hindu or muslim. 1 will be some other faith. 16 will have no religious affiliation. We're 15 times more likely to interact with a Christian on a daily basis than we are someone of another faith. And, if you live in certain regions, that becomes much, much higher, because large populations of Jews, Muslims, etc. are only found in major urban centers and predominantly in certain regions of the U.S.

Personally, I dislike all fundamentalist religions about the same amount. But, fundamentalist Christians get on my nerves more often, because I encounter bad behavior from them more often than I do the other groups simply by virtue of our demographics in the area in which I live. My office is probably 90% Christian-affiliated, maybe 8% non-affiliated and 2% other. And, some of the most annoying people I work with are the first ones to loudly proclaim themselves to be Christians.

Do I blame Christianity for Christians? Not necessarily, but it is an ongoing opportunity for me to observe how unworkable your faith actually is for most people, who are doing. it. wrong.

Why do some people "hate" Christianity? The answer is simple: self-professed Christians.

Why do people mock your faith? Because for many of us, while they are exaggerated for dramatic effect, the television show "Good Christian Bitches" points out behaviors that are just all too common to our experiences.

Last edited:
Hate hurts you more than those you hate, it takes effort away from doing other things, such a waste of time.

I agree that many Christians don't act very 'Christ like' at times, but everyone is human, that is why there is the need for Christ and His grace. Do you really expect everyone who is a Christian to be perfect? Also, don't you see from your own comments about 'bad behavior' from Christians that you are being just as judgmental as you are accusing them of being? Maybe someone was having a bad day? What happened to the 'tolerance' and the 'coexist'? While many Christians may in fact be hyprocrits, I really don't see any difference in those that claim to 'hate' Christians either. It's called being human.

"Why do people hate Christianity?" "Why do people attack Christianity, but never Islam or Buddhism or Hinduism?"

Here's why I don't like religiontards.

Superstitious people are irrational and dangerous. They preach intolerance and terror with their threats of beheadings and eternal damnation in hell if we don't recognize and bow down to their particular spook and superstitious dogma and join their clan, gang, group, whatever.

Get rid of all that hate and intolerance and threats of beheadings and eternal damnation in hell in your dogma and words and maybe then things would be different.

Last edited:
In addition to the inevitable personal flaws that we all share as human beings, fundamentalist religious believers -- which, in the U.S., as the OP pointed out overwhelmingly means fundamentalist Christians -- have some unique problems of their own. These include a denial of freedom, a belief in the superiority of their own faith, and a compulsion (often explicit) to proselytize.

Are fundamentalist Muslims any better? No, if anything, they're worse; we haven't seen any Christian wackos flying planes into buildings lately (then again there was the OKC bombing, so we shouldn't jump to conclusions). But in America, dogmatic Christians have one thing about them that does make them immeasurably worse than dogmatic Muslims.

They're here. Lots of them.

. . . But in America, dogmatic Christians have one thing about them that does make them immeasurably worse than dogmatic Muslims.

Yeah, they sure are, and they won't stop flying their fists into our doors.

The next religiontard that knocks on my door and threatens me with eternal damnation in hell if I don't submit to their dogma and spook is going to be leaving by ambulance and spending what might seem like eternity in a full body cast, ha.. :tongue:

Remove the intolerance and threats from all religious dogma and you all won't be seen as terrorists..

. . . But in America, dogmatic Christians have one thing about them that does make them immeasurably worse than dogmatic Muslims.

The next religiontard that knocks on my door and threatens me with eternal damnation in hell if I don't submit to their dogma and spook is going to be leaving by ambulance and spending what might seem like eternity in a full body cast, ha.. :tongue:

Remove the intolerance and threats from all religious dogma and you all won't be seen as terrorists..

Irony at it's best... :lol:

I wonder, can I invoke the stand your ground option here? :badgrin:

I wonder, can I invoke the stand your ground option here? :badgrin:

Too late... I already fired... ;)

Inalienable, I'm afraid you kind of put your foot in it there. Rather than physically attacking Christian door-knockers, I suggest (and I know this works from personal experience) erecting a Pagan altar in the front hall. If you're not a Pagan it wouldn't have to be real, but it should look as outrageous as possible. Be sure to include naked statues of the Lord and Lady, and His should have a good set of horns or antlers.

Or, more simply, when you see them coming, and you're sure it's them, just answer the door naked. Trust me, they'll never come back.

Hate hurts you more than those you hate, it takes effort away from doing other things, such a waste of time.

I agree that many Christians don't act very 'Christ like' at times, but everyone is human, that is why there is the need for Christ and His grace. Do you really expect everyone who is a Christian to be perfect? Also, don't you see from your own comments about 'bad behavior' from Christians that you are being just as judgmental as you are accusing them of being? Maybe someone was having a bad day? What happened to the 'tolerance' and the 'coexist'? While many Christians may in fact be hyprocrits, I really don't see any difference in those that claim to 'hate' Christians either. It's called being human.

I don't "hate" christians, for starters. Sometimes they annoy the shiz out of me, but I mostly suck it up and move on.

I fully understand that I am judgemental and intolerant at times (particularly of stupid people). But, I don't walk around proclaiming to be God's representative on earth, telling people how sinful their lives and choices are, or whining about how people "hate" me and my faith.

It is what it is. I recognize that I am an acquired taste, and not everyone likes bitch-flavored humans.

But, Christians need to realize that they are actually setting themselves up for some of this and playing a role in some of the "anti-Christian hate."

I suggest (and I know this works from personal experience) erecting a Pagan altar in the front hall.

Hum, a graphic no soliciting mural, I like it.

Funny you mention answer the door nude. When I was a kid and had a paper route and had to collect monthly from my customers, one family were nudists. I never told my parents, I thought they might prohibit me going back every month to collect.

I don't "hate" christians, for starters. Sometimes they annoy the shiz out of me, but I mostly suck it up and move on.

I fully understand that I am judgemental and intolerant at times (particularly of stupid people). But, I don't walk around proclaiming to be God's representative on earth, telling people how sinful their lives and choices are, or whining about how people "hate" me and my faith.
It is what it is. I recognize that I am an acquired taste, and not everyone likes bitch-flavored humans.

But, Christians need to realize that they are actually setting themselves up for some of this and playing a role in some of the "anti-Christian hate."

Well, I guess where we disagree is the part that I bolded. I would say that the majoity of Christians don't do that at all, only a few. And there are probably as many atheists that do the same, but most do not.

Superstitious people are irrational and dangerous. They preach intolerance and terror with their threats of beheadings and eternal damnation in hell if we don't recognize and bow down to their particular spook and superstitious dogma and join their clan, gang, group, whatever.

Get rid of all that hate and intolerance and threats of beheadings and eternal damnation in hell in your dogma and words and maybe then things would be different.

hahahahaha

this guy hates everyone

Thus is why I also very intensely dislike religion.

But the thing is that you should accept others for who they are, whether they are religious, gay, or rick santorum.

As for the OP, it's not hate. Many have grown intolerant of any sort of religion due to intolerance and hate being constantly preached and forced. It's just as justified as your religion. But they accept others for who they are by not recreating the behaviors of the religious folks.

Well there is an ample amount of hate from both Christians and non-Christians. Like it or not Christians have every right to come knock on your door and ask whether you wish to have a discussion. You have every right to shake your dick at them and slam the door in their face. Only once have I ever run into a "Bible knocker" who pushed the issue...she was Seventh Day Adventist and stuck her foot in the door so I couldn't close it. She left after I slammed her foot in the door and she hopped away regretting that decision.

Anyhow, people need to take a chill pill. There's no need to hand out pagan literature, scratch your nuts in front of them or any of that. Just say "no thanks" and shut the door. The vast majority will say "ok" and leave. If they come up and ask "are you interested in discussing God today?" there are not pushing anything on you. They are asking if you are interested in listening. I get a lot more people knocking on my door asking me to sign petitions to ban shit, buy girl scout cookies, buy new windows, sign up for a free carpet cleaning, blah, blah, blah than I do from people wanting to discuss God.

But...that being said....there is certainly a portion of the followers of Christian faith who flat out do not understand their own religion or, even worse, do understand it perfectly but choose to manipulate it in order to further their political agenda. But that can be said for any religion. Regardless, it's those people to direct your frustrations toward, not those who follow their beliefs without forcing it on others or using it to do harm.

yeap more clear evidence you are insane

You say that as if I shouldn't have a god given right to be insane if I want too. :badgrin:

I bet if you were dear leader, you'd have me fixed up all proper, hum? :cuckoo:

Let me guess, you're a middle aged orphan, right? You still angry because nobody wants to adopt/wed and take care of you? :tongue: Truth?

Well there is an ample amount of hate from both Christians and non-Christians. Like it or not Christians have every right to come knock on your door and ask whether you wish to have a discussion. You have every right to shake your dick at them and slam the door in their face. Only once have I ever run into a "Bible knocker" who pushed the issue...she was Seventh Day Adventist and stuck her foot in the door so I couldn't close it. She left after I slammed her foot in the door and she hopped away regretting that decision.

Anyhow, people need to take a chill pill. There's no need to hand out pagan literature, scratch your nuts in front of them or any of that. Just say "no thanks" and shut the door. The vast majority will say "ok" and leave. If they come up and ask "are you interested in discussing God today?" there are not pushing anything on you. They are asking if you are interested in listening. I get a lot more people knocking on my door asking me to sign petitions to ban shit, buy girl scout cookies, buy new windows, sign up for a free carpet cleaning, blah, blah, blah than I do from people wanting to discuss God.

But...that being said....there is certainly a portion of the followers of Christian faith who flat out do not understand their own religion or, even worse, do understand it perfectly but choose to manipulate it in order to further their political agenda. But that can be said for any religion. Regardless, it's those people to direct your frustrations toward, not those who follow their beliefs without forcing it on others or using it to do harm.

Good post. I guess I must be in the small minority of people that has never had anyone come to their door trying to push or peddle anything. Lucky me.

Well, I guess where we disagree is the part that I bolded. I would say that the majoity of Christians don't do that at all, only a few. And there are probably as many atheists that do the same, but most do not.

I would agree with you...the majority of Christians don't do this. But, if I encounter 100 people in a day, and 85 are Christians, and of those, 12 are very public Christians and assholes, they're going to have a larger effect on my impression of Christianity than the 1 muslim asshole I may encounter that day.

Sheerly, on the basis of demographics, the assholes I encounter are more likely to be Christians. That doesn't mean that all Christians are assholes, it's just a function of your overrepresentation in the total population.

The only thing that you can do about it is to pay attention to your own walk, and hold your peers in the faith accountable for theirs.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back