Debate Now People who do not control themselves in public

I'm not so sure about that. In Texas, there are certain so called "fighting words" that can be used as justification for a fight or arrest.

If you throw a punch in public, you're gonna get arrested. Regardless of provocation. You may not be remanded, but you'll appear in court.

If the judge decides the provocation was sufficient, then you'll get off. But cops aren't judges, we don't decide matters of provocation on the street. We stop fights.

I'm not so sure about that. In Texas, there are certain so called "fighting words" that can be used as justification for a fight or arrest.

If you throw a punch in public, you're gonna get arrested. Regardless of provocation. You may not be remanded, but you'll appear in court.

If the judge decides the provocation was sufficient, then you'll get off. But cops aren't judges, we don't decide matters of provocation on the street. We stop fights.

You could be right, but I have a friend that was arrested for nothing I could identify other than the cop was pissed off. Someone in the crowd filmed it, so he got off on resisting arrest, and all the other things they tried to charge him with. At one point, he did tell the cop "fuck you" and that's the only thing that stood up in court. Judge said those were "fighting words"

You could be right, but I have a friend that was arrested for nothing I could identify other than the cop was pissed off. Someone in the crowd filmed it, so he got off on resisting arrest, and all the other things they tried to charge him with. At one point, he did tell the cop "fuck you" and that's the only thing that stood up in court. Judge said those were "fighting words"

People get arrested for 'nothing' all the time. Priority one in an incident is to stop the violence and that means slapping cuffs on everyone, that's the way it is.

Some of these situations get sorted on the scene, others back on the station. Still overs have to wait for their day in court.

People get arrested for 'nothing' all the time. Priority one in an incident is to stop the violence and that means slapping cuffs on everyone, that's the way it is.

Some of these situations get sorted on the scene, others back on the station. Still overs have to wait for their day in court.

There was no violence. Only an ass hole cop.

People who do not control themselves in public make me emotional. People calmly explaining to me that the earth is flat, people nonchalantly expressing agreement with Nazis (even though I'm part Jewish, though they don't know that), do not make me emotional. People getting emotional and using what I consider to be dishonorable, cheap, childish tactics in conversations offends me more than listening to even idiotic nonsense or morally reprehensible speech. I actually find myself feeling offended and getting emotional. I despise people who lack impulse control and do not control their emotions in public.

Two people screaming at each other makes me more uncomfortable than two guys punching each other in the face. Another thing, is that even in a conversation that I am not involved in and do not give a shit what the people are talking about, I feel disgusted when I see someone use the "cut them off at the pass" routine and respond to what the other person is saying before they are done talking in a not only dishonest, except more importantly cheap and dirty manner. That person is more deserving of a punch in the face than someone who calmly states that such and such group of people should be eradicated. The former is more dishonorable than the latter. It is like not following the code and taking your 30 paces in a duel.

When someone states even incorrect facts, they can be fact-checked. "Strong Opinions" are offensive because they can be pulled out of thin air and can not be quantified and tested, yet people sometimes give weight to them. Nothing is legitimate until we can measure it. Morality is the only gray area I can see and is tough to think about or discuss.

I cannot fathom how a calm, dispassionate turn taking conversation is not superior to any other form of verbal communication in every single imaginable way. It is the best we can do to try and eliminate emotional outbursts and psycho-drama bullshit. No yelling, no interrupting, and no displays of emotion. I have a hard enough time communicating the way it is without dealing with behavior that makes me feel nauseated. Who knows, perhaps those of us not gifted in the area of communication skills are better off not interacting too much with people who make us want to walk away from them.
incorrect facts

LOL Oxymoron.

Nothing is legitimate until we can measure it.

Are you applying the notions of legitimacy theory to the actions of individuals? If so, then ignore the remarks/links below.

If you're not referring to legitimacy theory, I think you need to revisit your notions of critical thinking.

Much of the OP's remarks strike me as comments about discursive integrity and decorum in general. One'll find no objections from me as goes the need for unrelentingly exhibiting either of those qualities.

People who do not control themselves in public make me emotional.
Why? How?

We all see such individuals from time to time. For my part, generally, I just ignore them, unless they are behaving so uncontrollably that they pose a clear and present danger to my safety.

I despise people who lack impulse control and do not control their emotions in public.

I share that sentiment.

I feel disgusted when I see someone use the "cut them off at the pass" routine and respond to what the other person is saying before they are done talking in a not only dishonest, except more importantly cheap and dirty manner.

Agree.

Much of the OP's remarks strike me as comments about discursive integrity and decorum in general. One'll find no objections from me as goes the need for unrelentingly exhibiting either of those qualities.

Why? How?

We all see such individuals from time to time. For my part, generally, I just ignore them, unless they are behaving so uncontrollably that they pose a clear and present danger to my safety.

I can't help except imagine what it would be like to be the person that is having to deal with them.

Why? How?

I can't help except imagine what it would be like to be the person that is having to deal with them.
TY for the reply.

Am I correct to infer from the above statement that sympathy (empathy?) is the emotion you get upon seeing people who do not control themselves in public?

Why? How?

TY for the reply.

Am I correct to infer from the above statement that sympathy (empathy?) is the emotion you get upon seeing people who do not control themselves in public?

I feel empathy for the person that has to deal with the nasty behavior in the sense that I can't help except imagine if I had to deal with them and I feel disgust towards the person that is flying off the handle.

I find men to be more emotional in discussion than women.
But I think it's because men do not like to be challenged or outwitted by a woman.
Most men I talk to (in real life) are very off put by my confidence, calmness and directness.

People who do not control themselves in public make me emotional. People calmly explaining to me that the earth is flat, people nonchalantly expressing agreement with Nazis (even though I'm part Jewish, though they don't know that), do not make me emotional. People getting emotional and using what I consider to be dishonorable, cheap, childish tactics in conversations offends me more than listening to even idiotic nonsense or morally reprehensible speech. I actually find myself feeling offended and getting emotional. I despise people who lack impulse control and do not control their emotions in public.

Two people screaming at each other makes me more uncomfortable than two guys punching each other in the face. Another thing, is that even in a conversation that I am not involved in and do not give a shit what the people are talking about, I feel disgusted when I see someone use the "cut them off at the pass" routine and respond to what the other person is saying before they are done talking in a not only dishonest, except more importantly cheap and dirty manner. That person is more deserving of a punch in the face than someone who calmly states that such and such group of people should be eradicated. The former is more dishonorable than the latter. It is like not following the code and taking your 30 paces in a duel.

When someone states even incorrect facts, they can be fact-checked. "Strong Opinions" are offensive because they can be pulled out of thin air and can not be quantified and tested, yet people sometimes give weight to them. Nothing is legitimate until we can measure it. Morality is the only gray area I can see and is tough to think about or discuss.

I cannot fathom how a calm, dispassionate turn taking conversation is not superior to any other form of verbal communication in every single imaginable way. It is the best we can do to try and eliminate emotional outbursts and psycho-drama bullshit. No yelling, no interrupting, and no displays of emotion. I have a hard enough time communicating the way it is without dealing with behavior that makes me feel nauseated. Who knows, perhaps those of us not gifted in the area of communication skills are better off not interacting too much with people who make us want to walk away from them.

Why should it bother you unless you are a participant?

I don't want this to be about women, except I am very cautious about discussing anything with them. If they refuse to control themselves emotionally, you can not respond with physical violence to defend yourself like you can with another man who is getting emotional. It's not totally unrelated to my reluctance to discuss something with a huge man who is known for physical violence.

If a man starts screaming at another man, the offended party is allowed to physical defend himself against the attack. This often keeps things more level headed because both men typically want to avoid a fight and results in a better conversation.
No, screaming alone is not cause to punch someone.

Everybody's always looking at their phones whenever I go into town, so I never really talk to anybody.

Forum List

Back