Debate Now People who do not control themselves in public

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by RandomPoster, Sep 25, 2017.

1. RandomPoster

RandomPoster Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    People who do not control themselves in public make me emotional. People calmly explaining to me that the earth is flat, people nonchalantly expressing agreement with Nazis (even though I'm part Jewish, though they don't know that), do not make me emotional. People getting emotional and using what I consider to be dishonorable, cheap, childish tactics in conversations offends me more than listening to even idiotic nonsense or morally reprehensible speech. I actually find myself feeling offended and getting emotional. I despise people who lack impulse control and do not control their emotions in public.

Two people screaming at each other makes me more uncomfortable than two guys punching each other in the face. Another thing, is that even in a conversation that I am not involved in and do not give a shit what the people are talking about, I feel disgusted when I see someone use the "cut them off at the pass" routine and respond to what the other person is saying before they are done talking in a not only dishonest, except more importantly cheap and dirty manner. That person is more deserving of a punch in the face than someone who calmly states that such and such group of people should be eradicated. The former is more dishonorable than the latter. It is like not following the code and taking your 30 paces in a duel.

When someone states even incorrect facts, they can be fact-checked. "Strong Opinions" are offensive because they can be pulled out of thin air and can not be quantified and tested, yet people sometimes give weight to them. Nothing is legitimate until we can measure it. Morality is the only gray area I can see and is tough to think about or discuss.

I cannot fathom how a calm, dispassionate turn taking conversation is not superior to any other form of verbal communication in every single imaginable way. It is the best we can do to try and eliminate emotional outbursts and psycho-drama bullshit. No yelling, no interrupting, and no displays of emotion. I have a hard enough time communicating the way it is without dealing with behavior that makes me feel nauseated. Who knows, perhaps those of us not gifted in the area of communication skills are better off not interacting too much with people who make us want to walk away from them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  2. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,431
    Feminism?? Really? This was the lead up to that? I was semi interested in what you were saying until I read your last sentence.

To me, it sounds like you are too delicate to be out in public.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RandomPoster

RandomPoster Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I edited out the last bit about feminism, since it wasn't really what the post is about. However, it does seem that women do not care as much about keeping things impersonal and often are some of the worst offenders. Obviously, I'm generalizing. However, it does seem that women are typically less repulsed by emotional outburst and more repulsed by physical violence and certain topics that offend them overall.

4. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,431
    Well, this one sure as hell pushed my buttons and continues to do so because you seem determined to make this about females causing your angst. Like I said..you are too delicate to be in public. Stay home.

/unsub Thread

5. RandomPoster

RandomPoster Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I don't want this to be about women, except I am very cautious about discussing anything with them. If they refuse to control themselves emotionally, you can not respond with physical violence to defend yourself like you can with another man who is getting emotional. It's not totally unrelated to my reluctance to discuss something with a huge man who is known for physical violence.

If a man starts screaming at another man, the offended party is allowed to physical defend himself against the attack. This often keeps things more level headed because both men typically want to avoid a fight and results in a better conversation.

6. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,399
    No such thing. You're either Jewish (from a Jewish mother or conversion) or you're NOT. The concept of Fractional Judaism was an invention of another folk earlier in the 20th Century.

7. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,343
    Yeah, like earlier tonite the local Capt. D's was locked shut...

... `cause some crazy lady threatened to shoot up the place...

... `cause she wanted an extra piece of fish.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. RandomPoster

RandomPoster Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If someone says that all people with Jewish ancestry, and by extension me and every member of my family, should be killed, should I start screaming at him? No. I should either ignore him, engage him in a calm, rational debate, or physically assault him. Those are the only appropriate responses. Anything else is a disgusting spectacle.

9. RandomPoster

RandomPoster Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The point isn't about being Jewish. Anti-Semites that agree with Hitler about killing Jews aren't going to spare you because you're not full blooded or because you are agnostic.

10. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,399
    Ummm ... no he's not. In the eyes of the law, verbal assault is not a justification for physical assault. As someone who deals with altercations between people in public on a daily basis, I can tell you that once a situation escalates into assault, it NEVER results in a better conversation.

Much more often than not ... when a dispute breaks out in public between people who are unknown to each other ... the aggressor is drug, alcohol affected or has a mental issue. Once in a while, the aggressor is just a pure arsehole.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1