People that Abandon their Pets

I concur. People who dump pets should be curbstomped. Happens all the time in college towns. Someone wants a cat or dog but discovers that they don't gel particularly well with the lifestyle so they move and leave the animal. pathetic.

My dog is from the humane society. Adopted him my last year of college. He's been a stellar dog. About three years ago I won a Purina contest and was given a booklet of coupons for free 20lb bags of dogfood over 2 years. Since i have no problem supporting my dog it seemed a good idea to donate them to a local shelter.

DOOBIE the golden dragon enjoys the water!

l_a8786201a5fb4cd99c8623460503be90.jpg

l_692d5ecc5308407fa207141487efedbf.jpg

The key word in this debate is "puppy mill".

All the extraordinary goodwill and generosity of people like Echo, Baba, Mr. H, Frogen, Chuck, Masquerade and Shogun won't be enough as long as human societies refuse to eliminate or at least severely regulate these canine concentration camps.

I get a about a dozen abandoned house cats every year near my home. The reason people dump them here instead of elsewhere is, there used to be a major vet clinic nearby and I guess these people think the vet will take them in and get them a home.

Well, they apparently haven't noticed the vet has moved, haven't bothered to see the signs are taken down, haven't read the note on the door about the new location, and continue to just dump the cats.

I collect these cats, get them treated at the vet, and via a partnership with the vet we get these cats adopted.

Three of these however, I have kept for myself and they live in my house. All three are great cats, very affectionate, and I cannot imagine anyone throwing them away.

Don't people realize there's no pox on them if they drop their pet off at petsmart, the local ASPCA, or even their vet if they can no longer, for whatever reason, care for them? Why they simply drive them out into unfamiliar territory and dump them is beyond my comprehension, especially when it's a de-clawed cat!

I also trap the feral ones, and also via partnership with the vet, get them "fixed" and get them their shots, then get them good homes with area farmers and ranchers as "barn cats." This takes alot of time and patience, and these cats have to live in their new barn home in a cage for about a week to get acclimated to their new environment. But it's well worth it to get the feedback on how well these cats are doing and how they are controlling the rodent population on the ranches and farms they live on.

Anyhow, like the OP I cannot understand why people throw their animal companions away so cruelly. In this society we apparently have disposable people, so I guess it follows that pet animals are disposable items to some as well. Sad though it is.

The animal shelter in my county will not accept cats.

The benefit of living in a Red county I suppose.
Nonsense. Is there nothing you won't politicize, fucking hack?

I live in a VERY "red" area, and the local animal shelters gladly accept animals and even have night-drop public cage rooms.

Another hack theory blown away totally.

Yes Pick up a stray.
I hate shooting them for chasing my cows.

I will never abandon a pet, I will however shoot one if the situation warrants.

I hope you know the difference between a pet and a wild animal

Attachments

• $128687575472774874.jpg
    $128687575472774874.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
People that abandon pets are at the top of the lowlife pile.

And a side note to toot my own horn a friend of mine recently got a kitten for her children but due to an allergic reaction she has to give it up and was upset she couldnt find anybody to take it so she was going to start looking for a no kill shelter so Mister Softee (me) volunteered to take the kitten from her, I get it this saturday.:eusa_angel:

Grace The Lady Beagle

MamaKitty

Bandit the 17 1/2 pounder cat

all adopted and rescued.

I bought Buster the JRT.. from a hog hunter in the pine woods..

We only get our pets from the SPCA, it's their last chance. If you take your time and know what kind of pet you can handle you will find the perfect pet there. I wish I could take more home.

I could be down to my last buck . . . I'd never abandon my pets.

Don't forget that there are breed rescue organizations in almost every state and for most breeds. They do not euthanize, rather they have a network of foster homes until an adoption happens.

Getting a dog (can't relate to cats - horribly allergic) is a lifetime commitment and should never be taken lightly. If one betrays that sort of trust, they will have no hesitation betraying a human. They are worse than shit.

Last edited:
I wish I could adopt a dog or a cat, but my current living arrangements preclude me from doing that ... We live in a 6th floor apartment that has hardwood floors everywhere ... We are planning to get a townhouse down the road with a small backyard, once that happens, I want at least one dog and one cat ... they will all be adopted. I can't wait!!!

Hell, people very abandon their teenaged children, too.

I know this all to well as I've had a house full of them at various times in the last year or so

Hard times, folks. People lives are falling apart and that makes them make choices they'd probably not make otherwise.

I don't get how they can do it.

In a fit of anger I can be a very ugly person to deal with, but how one abandons any living creature that depends on you is just beyond me.

Yes Pick up a stray.
I hate shooting them for chasing my cows.

I will never abandon a pet, I will however shoot one if the situation warrants.

What a dick. :evil:

Depends.

I've lived in the country most of my life. People dump cats and dogs out there because they think animals can automatically adjust and live free. Apparently, it doesn't connect with these people that animals have to learn survival skills and while it may come somewhat easier to them than a human, de-clawed cats don't do well. :doubt:

In any case, would it be better for citizen to shoot a stray dog chasing his cows and said dog is not forced to go through starvation, being kicked by a cow and suffer or being hit by a car and suffer with no one to care for it? Or being torn apart by coyotes (very prevalent in my area)? The raccoons around here get pretty big and I've seen them take on some good-sized dogs. A smaller dog would have no chance against them.

The reality is that the world is not a nice place for dumped animals, even though there are many very good people who take them in. Not all of them find good homes and sometimes a quick death is their best option. Not that I would sanction merely using them as target practice for a bad shot.

Forum List

Back