People Suck and Recession My Ass

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I have had it with people.

As some of you know, we have been doing extensive renovations on our building for the past two years and for the most part it's going well. But here I am on a Sunday morning working on our latest renovation project, new floors in more than half of the business, since 5 30 this morning because the mother fucking no good asshole son of a whore who said he would wax the floors decided not to show up.

Here's a guy who was so happy I called him with some work and thanked me up and down because the recession has hit him so hard and he no shows a job.

Then there's the electrician who told me he had to lay off 4 people because he's had no work. I set up a time with him that he promised me he'd be there. We were moving a piece of equipment with a high frequency power supply and I needed the power moved that day so we could be up and running asap.

Lo and fucking behold the day comes and I spend the first 3 hours of the morning calling this asshole because he didn't show up.

And finally there's the carpenter who I wanted to do some heavy work on our barn. One of the corner beams of the barn has to be replaced and he saunters in late for his appointment to give me an estimate and before even looking at the barn he says it's been tough blah blah yadda yadda for him in this recession and then without looking at the work needing to be done tells me that his rate is $450 a day.

Really?

So people suck and recession my ass.

I guess it'll take a Depression for Americans to drop their lazy attitudes.

My wife claims it's too much sugar in their diet. I think it's too much of everything and not enough fasting.

Going without tends to re-align your priorities.

I've owned businesses and found out it's next to impossible to pay someone and expect them to do their job to the best of their ability. I guess I would have to pay them more then myself to get that from them. But then again they might just not come in and stiff me anyway. It's hard to please these folks.

Give me an older German lady any day. They talk your ears off but they know the meaning of the word "work".

And you know, MW, that that $450 a day carpenter would show up at 9:45 take a coffee break at 11 and a 2 hour lunch at noon and wrap up at 4.

The best solution is to have the government bail-out companies that should have failed so that the employees can keep their slovenly behavior.

$450 a day?

Shit, yer hiring the wrong friggin people, I can tell you that. Down here a good carpenter can be had for about $20 an hour, $160 to $200 a day.

And you know, MW, that that $450 a day carpenter would show up at 9:45 take a coffee break at 11 and a 2 hour lunch at noon and wrap up at 4.

Well if he wants to stay broke that's a good way to do it. I wouldn't pay him by the hour but by the job.

Most carpenters bid on jobs and the sooner they get it done the sooner they get paid.

Last edited:
$450 a day?

Shit, yer hiring the wrong friggin people, I can tell you that. Down here a good carpenter can be had for about $20 an hour, $160 to $200 a day.

Oh I didn't hire that asshole.

I got a guy with stellar references for 200 a day. i was merely pointing out that the people who are whining about the recession and then no show a job or demand outrageous fees suck.

$450 a day?

Oh I didn't hire that asshole.

I got a guy with stellar references for 200 a day. i was merely pointing out that the people who are whining about the recession and then no show a job or demand outrageous fees suck.

They are the ones who were slapping together homes in the heyday, paying more attention to the next 4 or 5 jobs than the one they were working on. They are also the ones that over-stretched themselves beyond imagination financially. Now they think they HAVE to charge that much just to stay a float.

/works in a contractor supply business

Yup,

"My word is my bond". You're saying that what you're saying is true and without reproach.

Yo man. Did you hit that? Word is bond man....I tore that shit up.

$450 a day?

You don't live in a 'closed shop' state. Everyone is union and making enough to keep them from getting work.

I must say though, I've been impressed by the union guys working in my house. While the demolition guys were 'white' and the construction guys were mostly 'Hispanic', both worked pretty much around the clock, one would go and get take out, 15 minute breaks to eat, then back to work. I'd recommend both to any friends.

$450 a day?

You don't live in a 'closed shop' state. Everyone is union and making enough to keep them from getting work.

I must say though, I've been impressed by the union guys working in my house. While the demolition guys were 'white' and the construction guys were mostly 'Hispanic', both worked pretty much around the clock, one would go and get take out, 15 minute breaks to eat, then back to work. I'd recommend both to any friends.

Don't know what a "closed shop" state is. I guess thank goodness for that.

Around here also the foremen and supervisors are Caucasian, and the workers are Hispanic. And these Hispanics are freaking crazy, man. Scampering up a 3 story roof with no safety harnesses, dangling over the edge slinging a pitchfork to remove the old shingles...these dudes WORK. And they don't freaking stop for anything.

$450 a day?

Don't know what a "closed shop" state is. I guess thank goodness for that.

Around here also the foremen and supervisors are Caucasian, and the workers are Hispanic. And these Hispanics are freaking crazy, man. Scampering up a 3 story roof with no safety harnesses, dangling over the edge slinging a pitchfork to remove the old shingles...these dudes WORK. And they don't freaking stop for anything.

If you want them to do the tough jobs and get it done fast they're a good option.

If you want quality work sometimes it's better to get a craftsman that takes his time. Putting on roofing shingles isn't rocket science but it is hot and dangerous. The pitch on some of these homes roofs is ridiculous.

A closed shop usually means union only employees....at least that's what I've been led to believe.

Yep, 'closed shop' means 'no right to work state.' Doing one of the trades outside of unions may be hazardous to your health. Illinois is 'closed shop.' Not good during these times, as people can't afford the $ per hour. I certainly couldn't have, but the insurance company has to.

Yep, 'closed shop' means 'no right to work state.' Doing one of the trades outside of unions may be hazardous to your health. Illinois is 'closed shop.' Not good during these times, as people can't afford the $ per hour. I certainly couldn't have, but the insurance company has to.

Screw that action.

Let the marketplace determine rate of pay.

Screw that action.

Many here would agree. But as I said, may be hazardous to your health.

Hey Paulie...this fucker wants a job!!!!!

Da only way you're gettin a job is if you join the friggen union......but to be in the union youse have to have a job.....Know what I mean....Baddabing????

Screw that action.

It did.

Forum List

Back