People Stop Living at Home with your Mom and Dad.

Its the most pathetic things on the face of the earth and quite unnatural in so many. Most animals have an instinct to leave the nest and ferret on their own. Your parents did their job raising you until you were 18 so why should they have to take care of you.

Have some self-respect and be homeless if you can't make it!

I don't see this as necessaryily being a negative. If the 18 year old is employed and contributing to the household, he could in fact be an asset to his parents if he's living at home.

If only. I suspect a good majority of them just find it more convenient to be able to play computer games and watch TV all day, and have the kind of freedom they enjoyed before they graduated and thought it would be so great getting away from mummie and daddie. Looking for work is hard work all by itself, to which many spoiled younguns today just say no. And then the rent comes due.

Unfortunately I have to say if the kiddos are that spoiled, Mom and Dad deserve to care for the little monsters they created. Kids can get lost all on their own, but they really can't spoil themselves.

In most cases, it's not pathetic, and it's certainly not unnatural. Before the government decided we should no longer be personally responsible for our elderly parents or our children with young families, families remained together, often forever. Certainly it was common for men to live with their parents until they were married and often after, until they either could afford their own home or inherited their parents. Young couples who are getting on their feet often will remain at home with their parents for the same reasons...my sister and brother in law, both working attorneys, spent several years living in the basement apartment of his parents' house before building their own home on the family homestead. When his uncle lost tens of millions of dollars and went bankrupt in the 70s, he moved his entire family to (then) Taiwan, where my brother's family was living during the time my brother in law was serving in Viet Nam (they moved there so they could easily see him on his furloughs).

My son currently is living with his wife and baby in the basement apartment of my sister's home. He's attending school and his wife works full time. They aren't pathetic, it's not unnatural. It's the way families support upwardly mobile members.

My daughter-in-law is seriously considering coming to stay with me if my son is deployed to Iraq and her time in the military is up. Fine by me. My elderly mother (who currently works full time) will eventually come to live with me as well.

And I've lived with her off and on during my adult life, with my children, when times called for it.

What is abnormal is bolting from the nest at 17 and never going home again, expecting the government to look after your folks in their old age and fund you if you're too much of a loser to work or you get knocked.

This whole decision all depends on the family's structure. If someone comes from a dysfunctional family, living together as "family" signals disaster. If not, the entire family will try to make it work, with concessions made by everyone.

The reason the government got involved regarding help for the elderly, as you well know, is because many families did NOT have a good structure or had lost many younger members to either war or a different set of medical problems, leaving many elderly people literally having to rely on "poor farms" for the rest of their lives.

I don't see this as necessaryily being a negative. If the 18 year old is employed and contributing to the household, he could in fact be an asset to his parents if he's living at home.

If only. I suspect a good majority of them just find it more convenient to be able to play computer games and watch TV all day, and have the kind of freedom they enjoyed before they graduated and thought it would be so great getting away from mummie and daddie. Looking for work is hard work all by itself, to which many spoiled younguns today just say no. And then the rent comes due.

Unfortunately I have to say if the kiddos are that spoiled, Mom and Dad deserve to care for the little monsters they created. Kids can get lost all on their own, but they really can't spoil themselves.

That's true. Ironically, it often serves as a wakeup call to the parents as to where they went wrong.

I should note that I'm not making my comments based on supposition. This is happening in my own family. I have five nieces and one nephew, three nieces belonging to one set of parents who have given them every material thing their little hearts desire, including expecting absolutely no contribution to household chores or even giving any restrictions on curfews or bedtime. Thank God they are good students, but they are also fat, lazy Slobs (Capital S), foul-mouthed, and think the world owes them a living. And their parents will wonder why these three are still kicking back living at home when they're in their 40's. Regardless of their academic skills, they are unemployable.

Its the most pathetic things on the face of the earth and quite unnatural in so many. Most animals have an instinct to leave the nest and ferret on their own. Your parents did their job raising you until you were 18 so why should they have to take care of you.

NO!!!! :evil:

I dont see a problem with it if everyone is contributing or if there is some legitimate reason. I dont like seeing people mooch off their parents though and doing absolutely nothing to help.

Course, this is all a cultural issue anyway. There are cultures throughout the world where it's expected for the family to be living together.

Tell that to the millions who lost their homes to foreclosure. You know why so many have lost their homes to foreclosure? Health care money they don't have.

They lost their homes to foreclosure because they didnt make payments. Many because they bought a house they couldn't afford to begin with.

Problem is, it's work they are saying no to and not drugs.

This whole decision all depends on the family's structure. If someone comes from a dysfunctional family, living together as "family" signals disaster. If not, the entire family will try to make it work, with concessions made by everyone.

The reason the government got involved regarding help for the elderly, as you well know, is because many families did NOT have a good structure or had lost many younger members to either war or a different set of medical problems, leaving many elderly people literally having to rely on "poor farms" for the rest of their lives.

So basically, the governments of the world created the problem and so they are trying to fix it

Ah, yet another adult afraid of the youngsters.

In most cases, it's not pathetic, and it's certainly not unnatural. Before the government decided we should no longer be personally responsible for our elderly parents or our children with young families, families remained together, often forever. Certainly it was common for men to live with their parents until they were married and often after, until they either could afford their own home or inherited their parents. Young couples who are getting on their feet often will remain at home with their parents for the same reasons...my sister and brother in law, both working attorneys, spent several years living in the basement apartment of his parents' house before building their own home on the family homestead. When his uncle lost tens of millions of dollars and went bankrupt in the 70s, he moved his entire family to (then) Taiwan, where my brother's family was living during the time my brother in law was serving in Viet Nam (they moved there so they could easily see him on his furloughs).

My son currently is living with his wife and baby in the basement apartment of my sister's home. He's attending school and his wife works full time. They aren't pathetic, it's not unnatural. It's the way families support upwardly mobile members.

My daughter-in-law is seriously considering coming to stay with me if my son is deployed to Iraq and her time in the military is up. Fine by me. My elderly mother (who currently works full time) will eventually come to live with me as well.

And I've lived with her off and on during my adult life, with my children, when times called for it.

What is abnormal is bolting from the nest at 17 and never going home again, expecting the government to look after your folks in their old age and fund you if you're too much of a loser to work or you get knocked.

OR because grandma doesn't fit in with coffee, cigarettes and afternoon chats

if you would let your kid be homeless rather then let them stay with you until they get back on their feet.....well that says alot about what kind of person you are.....

It's threads like these that bolster my theory that the OP is a troll. It can be quite difficult to believe someone could be so stupid otherwise.

Ah, yet another adult afraid of the youngsters.

There are far too many who don't carry a moral thought in their heads, so yes, for that reason, they scare me. After all, it's that generation which will be the future leaders of this country. The facts and figures on how far down we are slipping with regard to education being secondary to entertainment don't scare you?

what if you are in college locally? should you move out and take on all the extra expenses/stress that will take away from studying/learning just to say you 'made it'? what about my friend who lived at home until 30 but left with 2 bachelors (comp sci & finance), masters (comp sci) and phd (comp sci) and now has a job where he will pay back his 6 figures student loans in a couple years. should he have been homeless all those years of school?

to sum it up: you are a fucking retard

Forum List

Back