People Speak Out on TV and Education

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Pretty interesting article.

PARADE readers responded in huge numbers to Contributing Editor Norman Mailer’s provocative article, “One Idea,” in the Jan. 23 issue. In the article, Mailer suggested a ban on TV commercials, which he argued were crippling to our children’s ability to learn. We asked readers if they agreed with Mailer’s idea and invited you to share your own proposals for how to make America better. Below are some of your replies:

Dear PARADE:
I agree with Norman Mailer, except I would go one step further. It’s not just the commercials that are the problem. It is television. Parents of school-age children need to assert their parental authority and turn off the TV during the week. Let those young minds develop in other ways—reading is among the best. There are no commercials in books.

Sandra Trutt
Tucson, Ariz.

Dear PARADE:
Two large needs can be met by joining the two subjects involved in Mr. Mailer’s article: Children need positive learning experiences and attention in school, and senior adults need to be needed. Let seniors into our schools, and tap into the specials skills they’ve acquired through life experiences, education, work, home, business and volunteering. Seniors can help with science and art projects; tutor students in math, English and science; help them study for exams; and assist the teacher as needed.

Joyce Windle
Nicholasville, Ky.

Dear PARADE:
I agree completely with Norman Mailer. I'm a senior in high school, and I'm currently practicing hard toward my goal of being a professional clarinetist. My practicing requires a great deal of concentration and time and, although we have a television with a satellite system and hundreds of channels, I simply cannot stand watching it for many of the reasons Mr. Mailer describes. Since television commercials probably won't ever vanish, I hope Mr. Mailer's article encourages people to go and do more productive things with their valuable time, even if those things are as simple as going for a walk or reading a good book.

Jason Shafer
Columbia, Md.

for full article:
http://www.parade.com/special/normal_mailer/index.html

I think banning commercials is an assinine idea. Commercials are where are the money comes from for all the high quality programming that IS produced.

Mailer is a communist.

While I despise commercials, I have to agree wholeheartedly with RtwngAvenger here.

Where does Mailer think that the money for television programs comes from? Does he honestly believe that his monthly cable bill pays for programming?

If commercials are taken off the air then programming will become a race to see who can produce the cheapest crap the fastest (imagine the trash on tv now times one hundred). It will be reality tv non-stop, since real people don't have to be paid...they'll line up to eat cow crap for free for the chance to win some money.

Additionally, businesses will find alternative ways to get their products advertising out there. Product placement in the television shows that somehow manage to survive will become absolutely ridiculous. Imagine every character on Law-and-Order walking around with a Pepsi in one hand and a bag of Doritos in another...just to make enough money to keep the show in business.

Mailer's idea is implausible and impractical. He simply needs to do what many Americans are already doing...TiVO or DVR your shows and watch them 30 minutes after they begin or whenever you want. Your daily viewing schedule won't be terribly disturbed and you can fast forward through the commercials.

Generally I pay no attention to Norman Mailer and his ideas. It was the ideas that came from regular people in the four-page article that I found interesting. This does not mean I agree with all ideas expressed, but I do like to know what other people, including those of the liberal bent, are thinking on current issues like TV and education.

It was certainly nice to see people write in about turning off the tv, parents actually PARENTING their children, and about bridging the gap between young people and seniors.

If it actually happens....well thats another matter altogether. :)

Yes, there you go. The article containing the responses to Mailer's article was about TV and education, not about banning TV commercials/advertising.

Forum List

Back