People protest French turning D-Day landing site into dump

padisha emperor said:
this decision would be very dumb if the Regional Council of this region will take it.....

Yeah.. well... the French are dumb as shit, so I think it's likely they will do it.

Like i said, im sure there is more to this story than whats written. i just find it hard to believe that there are frenchmen that ungreteful. i guess i try to look for the best in people regardless.

In the name of trying desperately to see both sides of this issue....

One of the problems of trying to run local government or national government in a nation like France, is having to deal with its long and well documented history.

In Rome, for instance, the local govt has to deal with frequent complaints regarding its Metro system...the fact that it doesn't go to certain destinations, etc. One of the main reasons the Roman Metro System has trouble is that everytime it tries to expand, the builders discover more ancient ruins...therefore stopping all building until archeologists and researchers can come in, professionally examine the site...and determine if the artifacts can be removed or if the area itself needs to be preserved. If you have ever driven around Rome you know that they face similar problems above ground...hence why some of their roads bend, twist, and turn around ancient ruins....I'm sure these historic places cause gigantic headaches to the governing bodies at work in Italy. How to modernize while still protecting/preserving/respecting the past?

The United States faces this problem only in a somewhat superficial sense...200 year old buildings can be renovated much easier than 2000 year old buildings/ruins...

Is it possible that the French are simply looking at what the most logical places is in their area....and it just so happens to be an area that had historic significance? I would imagine that France being the very old and very historically known nation that it is...it would be damn near impossible to find a place to make a trash dump that ISN'T historically important to someone...

WWII is still a fresh and raw memory to many Americans...and France has become a nation quite capable of pouring salt in our wounds...if the French deciders of the location of this dump are choosing it specifically because they are looking forward to another way to bite their thumb at the US...well, then that is pathetic and very, very sad.

However...if it is simply a case of that location being the most appropriate and necessary for their town, or if there simply isn't a better, less historically relevant place...well then, I do not think we have much to say in the matter. We have memorials all throughout France to celebrate and honor the sacrifices Allied troops made their...and while the French have been somewhat...non-appreciative...of late, the history books bear witness to the bravery Americans, British, and Canadian troops showed on their shores.

Forum List

Back