People PAY for this crap.

maybe it means kids who are bad have lower IQ's? :)

Until quite recently spanking was the preferred method of child punishment. The VAST majority of parents used it right up until the State started arresting people for the affront of disciplining their children.

So once again this must mean before the 70's that the vast majority of Americans were idiots. That would include Democrats as well as Republicans. And all the Moderates too.

Until quite recently spanking was the preferred method of child punishment. The VAST majority of parents used it right up until the State started arresting people for the affront of disciplining their children.

So once again this must mean before the 70's that the vast majority of Americans were idiots. That would include Democrats as well as Republicans. And all the Moderates too.
I was born in 1980 and my parents spanked me. People do it still they just don't do it out in the open. And I agree with you it is a stupid article and spanking should be allowed. Children only recieve postive re enforcement and now we have twenty year olds thinking they deserve the world and still live with their parents. And I blame Dr.Phil completely.

I was born in 1980 and my parents spanked me. People do it still they just don't do it out in the open. And I agree with you it is a stupid article and spanking should be allowed. Children only recieve postive re enforcement and now we have twenty year olds thinking they deserve the world and still live with their parents. And I blame Dr.Phil completely.
ok, you answered my question

now, what is your IQ?

Correlation does not infer causation.

Obviously those who are spanked have lower IQs, because only the stupid get caught!

now, what is your IQ?

I was never spanked. Do you think I'm smarter than Luissa?

Cuz if you do, I'm off to a lucrative career selling shit...

now, what is your IQ?

well, i was spanked, i have an IQ of 130
i wonder how much higher it could have been if i hadnt been spanked :eusa_whistle:

now, what is your IQ?

well, i was spanked, i have an IQ of 130
i wonder how much higher it could have been if i hadnt been spanked :eusa_whistle:

I scored 125 once but that was ten years ago but I know it is lower now. I have fried my brain, I used to be able to remember everything but now I sometimes forget if conditioned my hair yet.

Plus I will add test taking got me through high school, I never did my homework but I could always do well on the tests.

A few things.

1. The difference was minor. 5 points for the youngest age group. 2.8 points for 5-9 year olds.

2. Even if the causal link is real (which I'm not convinced), it is not simply a black-white if you spank x happens if not, y happens.

The study states that the amount of spanking is at question. As spanking increases, the effect is more pronounced. I suppose it is possible that parents who resort to spanking as the sole or primary means of correcting behavior could be negatively impacting the child's mental development. The main reason being that punishments which involve engagement with the child about their behavior, especially those which include having the child acknowledge their inappropriate behavior and understand the possible consequences and reasons why it is inappropriate can facilitate problem solving skills. Still, I think this is highly speculative.

As for all the statements about how the people on this thread were spanked and how smart they are- that's completely irrelevant. It doesn't mean anyone is an idiot. For example, if DiveCon had not been spanked, according to this study his IQ would have been 132.8. Probably not enough for people to notice a difference. (Don't worry, DiveCon, I did the math for you. It's clearly beneath your genius level IQ and I didn't want you to have to perform a task so humble.)

But always take IQ studies with big grain of salt. Otherwise studies like this will end up being used as arguments:

Religious_IQ.jpg

Forum List

Back