People first, God second. Should people put themselves above God?

GreatestIam

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2012

Jesus put people above God and so should we. “Mark 2;27 And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: 28Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

I think that the world would be a better place if people put their wants and needs as well as the wants and needs of other people above God’s.

I look at all the wealth that religions squander on themselves with huge churches and mosques, which are mostly empty, --- while many people still live in poverty and despair, --- and wonder if that wealth would be better spent on the poor. That would conform more to what Jesus taught us to do for the poor.

Governments seem to be of the same mindset as the religions as they spend lavishly on themselves while the poor go with their needs ignored.

I would think that religions would show the better mindset but that does not seem to be the case.

Before religions started thinking of God as a literal and real being, a more peaceful world, religiously speaking, home churches were the order of the day. Archeology has proven this. They were used as feeding stations for the poor and destitute and contributed more to the fellowship that people need more that the mega churches, temples and mosques that we have today.

Should we consider the benefits of the older ways and bring religion back into the homes where it’s expression and help for the poor can be better served?

Seems to me that the religious crave a personal relationship with their God, and that is best expressed from homes and not from the self-aggrandizing mega monstrosities and opulent churches and mosques that advertise their wasted wealth in our cities.

Does charity really begin at home, by putting people first and not God?

Regards
DL

Hominids really went off in a pretty destructive direction when we bought into the perceptual reality of a male dominator god; a god in human form.

god can take care of him/her/it/them-self
Why do you need to put god first? Is god going to be hurt, feel pain or die?

You worship god as a means of thanks for what life and creations gives, not because god needs you. God is not your servant that you should expect to serve you and do what you want, to care for your needs just because you pray.

"God helps those who help themselves", not those to help god

.....assuming you believe in god in the first place.

Jesus put people above God and so should we. “Mark 2;27 And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: 28Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

I think that the world would be a better place if people put their wants and needs as well as the wants and needs of other people above God’s.

I look at all the wealth that religions squander on themselves with huge churches and mosques, which are mostly empty, --- while many people still live in poverty and despair, --- and wonder if that wealth would be better spent on the poor. That would conform more to what Jesus taught us to do for the poor.

Governments seem to be of the same mindset as the religions as they spend lavishly on themselves while the poor go with their needs ignored.

I would think that religions would show the better mindset but that does not seem to be the case.

Before religions started thinking of God as a literal and real being, a more peaceful world, religiously speaking, home churches were the order of the day. Archeology has proven this. They were used as feeding stations for the poor and destitute and contributed more to the fellowship that people need more that the mega churches, temples and mosques that we have today.

Should we consider the benefits of the older ways and bring religion back into the homes where it’s expression and help for the poor can be better served?

Seems to me that the religious crave a personal relationship with their God, and that is best expressed from homes and not from the self-aggrandizing mega monstrosities and opulent churches and mosques that advertise their wasted wealth in our cities.

Regards
DL

Matthew 16:
24Then Jesus told His disciples, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. 25For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it

Matthew 22:36-40New International Version (NIV)

Jesus didn't put man before God....ever.

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:36-40New International Version (NIV)

Jesus didn't put man before God....ever.

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I have no argument with your post, but feel the need to include the following:

Leviticus 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord"

It is particularly important, today, because it puts in stark contrast, the difference between the Judeo-Christian ethic that created Western Civilization....

....and the political movement known as Islam, which aims to take civilization back to the 7th century.

Regards
DL
I worry about elected politicians that prioritize a hypothetical afterlife over an actual reality that people voted to rely on them over.

Regards
DL
God first. What can you be thinking?

Regards
DL
I think this line of organized-religion thinking evolves from a lack of understanding of philosophy and science.

Many of the ancient Greeks tried to free themselves from mysticism and superstition back in the 8th Century BC starting with Hesiod then in the 7th Century starting with Thales, and then continuing with Aristotle, Descartes, and on through Bertrand Russell.

Maybe Russell took it too far with his atheism.

But a good dose of science and philosophy are great for the soul. And they help you to avoid dilemma's and paradoxes as well.

Take care of yourself.

Take care of others as much as you are able.

Consider the Deist/Agnostic debate and weigh-in on whatever side you want.

Be cautious about Theism and Atheism both.

There is no god.

Auschwitz_zpsbqnj4rkq.jpeg

Forum List

Back