People driving into lakes using GPS

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
happened recently in Bellevue Wa - 3 women tourists

Hey dummies - ever heard of roadmaps????????????

never failed me

I've been thinking about getting a GPS device. Does anyone here use one? If so, do they work?

If you have a laptop I recommend Microsoft Streets and Trips. The receiver plugs into the computer and you have a really big screen to see where you are going. If you've never used a gps before, and you do a lot of road travel, it works great.

If you don't have a laptop then a Garmin is great to have along to guide you, the bigger the screen though the bigger the price.

I've been thinking about getting a GPS device. Does anyone here use one? If so, do they work?

I use my US Cellular Phone HTC Touch Pro2. I downloaded TeleNav Navigator Deluxe & it works but don't trust the voice instruction. When she says turn right or left there is a 20% chance she is wrong. The visual search, find, locate, directions & map works well at least 99% of the time. The unreliable audio voice causes you to have to look at the device instead of the road. It would be nice if I could trust the voice.

Last edited:
remember old-fashined things like roadmaps???????/

they dont drive you onto the lake

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIakZtDmMgo]YouTube - ‪The Office - Michael Drives Car into lake‬‏[/ame]

They work great, as long as you remember that they are only as good as the idiot who programs the maps. The GPS can pinpoint your location with a few feet using the satellites, but the unit itself sometimes thinks things are in different places. That explains why people who are not paying attention drive into lakes.

Garmin is my favorite. For a driving alone aid it kicks my Samsung Galaxy's butt. My mini computer cell phone does more things but if u just want turn by turn real time driving instructions the GPS unit is the way to go.

Far as the folks who fall into lakes or die in the desert off road, they made stupid mistakes. I do like setting my GPS to "truck" routes. Keeps me from cutting across too many busy roads and on the hwy.

Btw, most GPS units i have used favor secondary streets. They have no idea stop lights will slow you down lol.

But really, for doing deliveries or driving places you dont know GPS rocks.

Love my GPS. its wrong sometimes. But not usually.

Anyone who drives into a lake and blames it on the GPS is dumb. Just because the machine tells you to go a certain direction doesnt mean you need to take it. especially if you can see its leading you into a lake.

Have a Garmin that's great. Every once in a while some minor problem where it misidentifies something but it's never been a big deal to figure out the mistake.

Coolest feature IMO is its ability to tell you there's a problem ahead on your route - traffic accident tie-up or something - and it directs you on a detour and then back to the original route. Twice it's saved me God knows how much time I would have been just sitting or crawling along.

Garmins are the best.

Mine is right 99.9% of the time.

1000 times better than any old-fashioned roadmap.

Willl even tell you about traffic jams ahead and suggest detour routes.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back