People are poor because (not what the Leftists tell you).

No one should get paid not to work

So what are you supposed to do when you can't work? Die?
Can't work for what reason?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Because you need to be certified by a government doctor to drive a CDL vehicle, and he won't re-certify me. If this happened 20 years ago, I could get training for a different line of work, but pushing 60, that's not even a consideration. By the time I'd get training in whatever, I'd be 61 or 62. Then I'd be an older rookie at whatever field of work trying to compete with younger folks for a job. This line of work is all I've ever really known.

Even in my line of work before I was forced to leave, I couldn't find any jobs when they realized my age. Yes, it's age discrimination, but almost impossible to prove. That and I'd never want to work for somebody that didn't want me there because my medical insurance premiums would be through the roof. And with my disabilities, I can't do any real physical work for a long period of time.

So I'm really kind of stuck.

It's called disability insurance

If you had it then you would be getting up to 80% of your annual salary tax free.

No, this is SS disability. The agent called me yesterday and explained how it works. To make a long story short, if approved, what I'd be getting is what I would have gotten if I worked until my full retirement age which for me is 67. So in a sense, all I'd really be doing is retiring early.

Disability insurance is not necessarily Social Security

You can purchase your own through any insurance company

So what are you supposed to do when you can't work? Die?

Because you need to be certified by a government doctor to drive a CDL vehicle, and he won't re-certify me. If this happened 20 years ago, I could get training for a different line of work, but pushing 60, that's not even a consideration. By the time I'd get training in whatever, I'd be 61 or 62. Then I'd be an older rookie at whatever field of work trying to compete with younger folks for a job. This line of work is all I've ever really known.

Even in my line of work before I was forced to leave, I couldn't find any jobs when they realized my age. Yes, it's age discrimination, but almost impossible to prove. That and I'd never want to work for somebody that didn't want me there because my medical insurance premiums would be through the roof. And with my disabilities, I can't do any real physical work for a long period of time.

If you had it then you would be getting up to 80% of your annual salary tax free.

No, this is SS disability. The agent called me yesterday and explained how it works. To make a long story short, if approved, what I'd be getting is what I would have gotten if I worked until my full retirement age which for me is 67. So in a sense, all I'd really be doing is retiring early.

Sure you can, but not at this point. I couldn't even afford Commie Care yet alone disability insurance. Given the fact I've had preexisting conditions most of my adult life, I doubt that would be affordable either.

Your answer is technically correct, but you should check your percentage. A plan that pays 80% is as common as hen's teeth.50-60% is the norm for long term disability.
You'll notice I said up to 80%

Show one that pays 80 percent.

How Much Does Long-Term Disability Pay?

Depending on your policy, your long-term disability (LTD) plan will typically pay between 50% and 80% of your "pre-disability earnings," up to a maximum.

But I suppose you think you are a more informed source than this website that specializes in legal matters
And what did I say again

Oh yeah

UP TO 80%

Sure you can, but not at this point. I couldn't even afford Commie Care yet alone disability insurance. Given the fact I've had preexisting conditions most of my adult life, I doubt that would be affordable either.

Right you didn't plan appropriately.

It's not anyone's fault but your own

Three Simple Rules Poor Teens Should Follow to Join the Middle Class

It has nothing to do with oppression, race, religion, etc.

Follow three simple rules and you will not be poor:

#1) Graduate High School

#2) Get a job

#3) Don't become a single parent.

This is from the LEFT leaning Brookings Institute. One way to pay down debt and improve our budget is to reduce entitlements such as welfare and this is a start.

Today, more than 40% of American children, including more than 70% of black children and 50% of Hispanic children, are born outside marriage.

The above is ridiculous. I would even consider paying young women NOT to have kids until marriage or they can afford it to make sure they don't get on welfare and continue this cycle.

I welcome all your thoughts. Even the crazy Leftist ones.
Poor people are poor due to unequal protection of the law under our form of Capitalism where those with the most Gold make the most Rules.
Do they have no ownership of their being poor? Amazing.

Of course it is. It's my fault for not having insurance I couldn't afford. How silly of me.......

Of course it is. It's my fault for not having insurance I couldn't afford. How silly of me.......
Disability insurance is pretty cheap usually about 1-3% of your income.

When did I say it was a conspiracy? I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think there is just too much government stopping people from doing all kinds of things. It's about power. If it was about safety, they wouldn't allow these Fn foreigners who can read a word of English swerving all over the highway because they don't understand our highway signs, and making last second decisions on what lane they need to be in. Any American driver will tell you, these foreigners are an extreme danger on the road.

They can pass the physical and the test...

And that most American drivers are bigots really doesn't impress me. All the crazy drivers I've seen have been white guys...

If somebody wants to come to this country and drive, fine with me. Fill out the written test in English like I had to do. Take the road and maneuverability test like I had to do. Demonstrate you have enough knowledge and experience to handle that vehicle like I had to do.

But no. The government apparently lets them come in from whatever country and honors their license. That's why watching them trying to back in a trailer is like watching a blind person trying to do it. In their country, getting a comparable CDL license is nothing but a fee that anybody can get.

Which country are you talking about? Do you really think there are Mexican Truck Drivers coming all the way up to Cleveland?

Well thanks for the compliment, but you are making suggestions to me as if I was 30 years old. But I'm an old guy now, and getting a job that pays a livable wage at this age with no experience at anything is damn near impossible. The cost to the company just for medical insurance alone makes me the least qualified. Hell, in spite of my outstanding driving record and experience, I couldn't find anybody to reply to my emails for a job because of my age in my own field of work.

Well, yeah, that's what happens when you write your resume off a YouTube instructional video, bud.

You do have experience, 40 years worth...it's just a matter of translating that into other fields....

Here's the thing about Boomers vs. Millennials that employers are realizing. They know that Boomers are more reliable. They don't job hop.

It's not like when we were younger and you could land such a job and learn while working. Those jobs don't pay crap anymore. You need to be in a professional field of work to make a living today.

I want to see if you realize what you just said. You've just said that a starting job doesn't pay crap. But yet you sit there and wonder why a kid with $50,000 in Student Loan Debt is listening to Bernie and thinking, Yeah, That Guy Really Speaks to Me.

Strikes me even an entry level Customer Service job would pay better than the $1400 a month social security would pay you.

They can pass the physical and the test...

And that most American drivers are bigots really doesn't impress me. All the crazy drivers I've seen have been white guys...

You are FOS. Any how is it being a bigot to say that foreigners should be required to do the exact same thing Americans do to operate a CDL vehicle? They pass the physical, but don't take any tests. That's the point. They constantly asked me about things they should have known if they did have any training. They had no training or exam.

Which country are you talking about? Do you really think there are Mexican Truck Drivers coming all the way up to Cleveland?

Yes, I've seen some. Mostly up north they are from the Middle East, Russia, Canada, but I think Canada must have some sort of training and licensing requirements because they are pretty good drivers. I've never had a Canadian beg me to help them back into a dock.

The other foreigners dominate the moving industry, containers, and some in flat beds, but they are in all fields of driving.

Well, yeah, that's what happens when you write your resume off a YouTube instructional video, bud.

You do have experience, 40 years worth...it's just a matter of translating that into other fields....

Here's the thing about Boomers vs. Millennials that employers are realizing. They know that Boomers are more reliable. They don't job hop.

Then obviously you don't know boomers then. Many don't look at a job as a must. They look at a job as when they feel like doing something. They don't like responsibility, which is good for me because that includes home ownership. Many of them rent apartments, rent their furniture, rent their appliances because they don't want to deal with problems.

Others live at home well into their 30's and some in their 40's. That way they don't have to work a livable wage job that does drug testing. They can stay home, work part-time, smoke pot and life's never been better.

I want to see if you realize what you just said. You've just said that a starting job doesn't pay crap. But yet you sit there and wonder why a kid with $50,000 in Student Loan Debt is listening to Bernie and thinking, Yeah, That Guy Really Speaks to Me.

Strikes me even an entry level Customer Service job would pay better than the $1400 a month social security would pay you.

What kind of customer service job? Give me an example.

Besides, from what I've been told, after you are on disability, you can still work, but limited to your income. My tenant has been on disability since he moved here. I talked to him about this the other day. Although it's different in each case, he's allowed up to $1,100 a month gross pay. So he works part-time at a grocery store.

The agent told me that if approved, I would be getting something in the $1,200 to $1,300 a month range. That's not even equal to a 40 hour a week minimum wage job. Fortunately for me, I have rental income although much of it goes to bills. But my employer also started an IRA for us many years ago. He contributed the most to it, but I also made contributions as well. It's in pretty good shape now, and I can use that to get by until I get approved for disability. I don't want to touch it, but unless I hit a lottery number, I'll really have no choice.

The best part is that after a year on disability, I can buy a Medicare plan for a reasonable price, unlike Commie Care.

Then obviously you don't know boomers then. Many don't look at a job as a must. They look at a job as when they feel like doing something. They don't like responsibility, which is good for me because that includes home ownership. Many of them rent apartments, rent their furniture, rent their appliances because they don't want to deal with problems.

Others live at home well into their 30's and some in their 40's. That way they don't have to work a livable wage job that does drug testing. They can stay home, work part-time, smoke pot and life's never been better.

you do realize there are no 30 year old boomers, right? That they were born between 1945 and 1965.... making the youngest ones 55 or so...

you do realize there are no 30 year old boomers, right? That they were born between 1945 and 1965.... making the youngest ones 55 or so...

Correct. My bad. I was confusing boomers with Millennials. Still waking up I guess. :bigbed:

Correct, we don't job hop, but we are also more prone to illness and medical care needs. Plus with work requiring physical activities, younger people run circles around us, just like we ran circles around the older people when we were in our 20's and 30's.

Workman's compensation comes with a ridiculous cost. The less claims the better. Older people are more likely to get hurt on the job than younger people. In most cases, I can't do anything standing for more than 10 minutes before my back starts to go out. I'm okay walking, but when I work in the yard, much of it is taking brakes to allow my back to rest. When I was younger, I could stand nearly all day and work.

According to Bill Cunningham, they are poor because they lack values, morals and ethics.
According to some interpretations of the law, they are in poverty due to unequal protection of the law in any at-will employment State. There can be no legal or moral Requirement to work in an at-will employment State. The unemployed should be able to apply for unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed.

And, only illegals don't care about the law and only immorals blame the Poor for not being able to afford better protection of the law under our form of Capitalism.

#1) Graduate High School

#2) Get a job

This is from the LEFT leaning Brookings Institute. One way to pay down debt and improve our budget is to reduce entitlements such as welfare and this is a start.

Today, more than 40% of American children, including more than 70% of black children and 50% of Hispanic children, are born outside marriage.

The above is ridiculous. I would even consider paying young women NOT to have kids until marriage or they can afford it to make sure they don't get on welfare and continue this cycle.

Poor people are poor due to unequal protection of the law under our form of Capitalism where those with the most Gold make the most Rules.
Poor yes, poverty no. We have to quibble for legal purposes.

#1) Graduate High School

#2) Get a job

No, we don't. Poor or impoverished, they bear some responsbility for their own condition.

#1) Graduate High School

#2) Get a job

No, we don't. Poor or impoverished, they bear some responsibility for their own condition.
Not in this case. Equal protection of the law is the answer to simple poverty in our republic.

There can be no legal or moral Requirement to work in an at-will employment State.

Forum List

Back