"pentium based" geek question

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Can a computer have a AMD athlon chip and still be pentium based ? I'm trying to transfer files from one computer to the other via USB ports and the product says both computers need to be pentium based.

Hmm ... it would depend on the product, I am not sure how it would matter for that though, unless you are using their specific software which can be compiled to only run on specific chips (in Windoze that is). USB ports themselves are not dependent on CPU compatibility at all themselves. You could even hook a Mac to Windoze with a USB comp-to-comp connection.

If you are using a product (like a flash drive) then again, it matters mostly on the software used to handle the transfer, not so much the CPU.

Can a computer have a AMD athlon chip and still be pentium based ? I'm trying to transfer files from one computer to the other via USB ports and the product says both computers need to be pentium based.

No, a computer with an AMD chip is not 'pentium' based, although I can't see how that can make a difference. I've always used AMD chips and never run into anything like that. There could be some other incompatibility in terms of communicating and you're just getting that message? I don't see how the chip would make a difference.

No, a computer with an AMD chip is not 'pentium' based, although I can't see how that can make a difference. I've always used AMD chips and never run into anything like that. There could be some other incompatibility in terms of communicating and you're just getting that message? I don't see how the chip would make a difference.

Well, he said the product says, so I am assuming he meant on the packaging, in which case it's a common endorsement, morally wrong because it feeds on those who know or work with computers less than a techie, but that's what a lot of them have started doing.

Could be that one computer is x64 and one is x86. Maybe different OS's. Those probably would matter with the software but I don't see how it would affect individual files. Would need more info on the systems.

I think KIt's probably got the right of it. what ever it is probably is attached at the hip to pentium and is hauling freight for them.

Pentium = Intel
Athlon = AMD

Both are x86, so it shouldn't matter either way. AMD licenses the x86 architecture from Intel, and I'll be damned if your USB transfer device can tell the difference.

Hope this helps.

I don't recall the timeline: Did Intel release the Pentium before or after AMD lost rights to release 'clones' of their CPUs? Ah... back when they were compatible... before my day, that was...

Pentium = Intel
Athlon = AMD

Both are x86, so it shouldn't matter either way. AMD licenses the x86 architecture from Intel, and I'll be damned if your USB transfer device can tell the difference.

Hope this helps.

It did--solid info -----ty

Pentium = Intel
Athlon = AMD

There is a 64-bit version of the Athlon. Hell, the Athlon64 is still sometimes used and the x2s, x3s (don't ask me, I don't get it, either) and x4s are the current line. They can run 64- or 32-bit code, depending on the O/S

Pentium = Intel
Athlon = AMD

There is a 64-bit version of the Athlon. Hell, the Athlon64 is still sometimes used and the x2s, x3s (don't ask me, I don't get it, either) and x4s are the current line.

Athlon x(n) is the number of cores. Yes, they have triple-core processors called phenoms.

Pentium = Intel
Athlon = AMD

There is a 64-bit version of the Athlon. Hell, the Athlon64 is still sometimes used and the x2s, x3s (don't ask me, I don't get it, either) and x4s are the current line.

Athlon x(n) is the number of cores. Yes, they have triple-core processors called phenoms.

I know this. The Athlon 64x_ is the current line. My impression is that the Athlon 64 (single core) has been discontinued.

I fail to see the point of a tricore in principle, even if the x3 can outperform the x4 due to the quad-core Phenom being a piece of shit

I know this. The Athlon 64x_ is the current line. My impression is that the Athlon 64 (single core) has been discontinued.

I fail to see the point of a tricore in principle, even if the x3 can outperform the x4 due to the quad-core Phenom being a piece of shit

No the x3 cannot out perform the x4 in benchmarks. But in certain areas of the benchmarks it can out perform the x4. And the x2 can out perform the x3 in some areas. The x3 was started to compete with the Intel Dual Core line. I'm not sure if single cores were discontinued by AMD but I think the FX series was single core.

The x3 were made from x4's with a faulty (disabled) core.

Forum List

Back