pentagons' new map

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Saw this guys presentation on CSpan or something the other night. It's not all that new so it's probably been discussed but I found it interesting.
The Pentagon's new map
By Michael Barone http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/baroneweb/mb_040520.htm

Thomas P. M. Barnett is a professor of political science at the Naval War College who has spent much of the past 15 years roaming the halls of the Pentagon delivering a Power Point brief (the Pentagon word for briefing) on his strategic view of the world. It is based partly on joint seminars that brought together people from the war college and from Cantor Fitzgerald, the bond trading firm, which lost many of its employees on September 11. Barnett published a version of it as an article in Esquire in 2002, and last month saw the publication of his book The Pentagon's New Map. His view of what United States military forces can and ought to do is congruent neither with those of conservatives or liberals; he professes to be a Democrat but supports the Bush administration's war on Iraq, though he has some scathing criticisms of the administration's postwar conduct. Few Americans have ever heard of him. But there are signs that he may turn out to be one of the most important strategic thinkers of our time and that Rumsfeld's Pentagon is putting some of his ideas into practice.

CSM said:
Great article. Thanks!
His presentation on TV is great too if they ever show it again--A very impressive speaker with some good Audio Visual to help him explain his ideas.

I have seen the breifing at the Naval Warfare Development Center (NWDC) down in RI. It makes a lot of sense actually.

CSM said:
I have seen the breifing at the Naval Warfare Development Center (NWDC) down in RI. It makes a lot of sense actually.

It really does--wish I coulda seen it live and asked a few questions too ! The guy has some really fresh ideas---I liked his thoughts on "turning" Iran instead of blowing it off the map but that's gonna be a tricky one I fear.

i posted about this guy's fresh approach to foreign affairs and the miiltary, but most seemed not to like it at the time... i'm glad viewpoints have changed somewhat.... he's not perfect, but he does have some very unique ideas we should consider over the next few years

NATO AIR said:
i posted about this guy's fresh approach to foreign affairs and the miiltary, but most seemed not to like it at the time... i'm glad viewpoints have changed somewhat.... he's not perfect, but he does have some very unique ideas we should consider over the next few years

I figured someone already had heard of this guy--prior to the election we all may have been a bit over-protective of Bushs' policies to defend ourselves from old YOU-KNOW-WHO.

NATO AIR said:
I must have missed that post. Sorry.

NATO AIR said:
no biggie, hell i'll be (sadly might i add) missing most of the next 9 month's posts.....
Going on a little cruise are ya? or are you pregnant? j/k.

You will still have e-mail right?

CSM said:
Going on a little cruise are ya? or are you pregnant? j/k.

You will still have e-mail right?

gosh my morning sickness was acting up again earlier today :cof: (j/k)

yea i'll be having e-mail for sure, maybe some cool pics to send to ya as well.

dilloduck said:
Saw this guys presentation on CSpan or something the other night. It's not all that new so it's probably been discussed but I found it interesting.

Sounds like something I brought up months ago.....

Once again the Pentagon is stealing all my best ideas.

Zhukov said:
Sounds like something I brought up months ago.....

Once again the Pentagon is stealing all my best ideas.
Sorry Zman---I knew someone had alluded to the ideas somewhere--just
couldn't remember. I shoulda known

Speaking of *bumps*

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/g/fd294e75-4388-4c1c-b5cb-3fda08c9eefa

...Thomas P.M. Barnett’s book, “The Pentagon’s New Map,” is a similarly ground breaking tract. Barnett unveils a theory, or actually a couple of theories, so simply elegant and so obviously true once you hear them, it’s amazing that no one had thought of them before. “The Pentagon’s New Map” (PNM) attempts to do nothing less than offer a prescription for re-shaping the world for both increased prosperity and safety for all its inhabitant but especially for Americans. The subtitle of the book is “War and Peace in the Twenty-first Century” but I think a far more fitting subtitle would have been “A Future Worth Fighting For.”

Barnett’s theory essentially has two components which I will over-simplify only a little in the next two paragraphs. The first is that the world is divided into two parts, the Core which has all the economically functioning places and the Gap which has all the economic, cultural and political basket cases. The Core includes all the places where you might vacation or buy a good from; the Gap is comprised of the places you wouldn’t visit unless you were a contestant on Fear Factor. Barnett argues that in this era of increased global connectivity and more widely available weapons of mass destruction, an unstable and disconnected country/government anywhere poses a threat to the United States and our interests. Witness the way internal Afghanistan politics had a profound effect on our soil. The only way to mitigate this threat is to, over time, integrate these Gap countries into the Core.

But how do you this when those Gap countries are often run by people like Saddam Hussein who don’t want to play well with others in the global sandbox? That’s going to involve military action and that’s where the second part of Barnett’s theory comes in. Barnett suggests that the military should be broken up into two distinct pieces. One he calls the Leviathan which will basically kick the ass of the Saddam types; the other will be called the System Administrator which will build the country back up after the asses have been kicked.

Like I said up top, obvious isn’t it? Two distinct jobs, two distinct forces to do those jobs. Thinking of the situation in Iraq, you can see how this part of the theory would have an obvious impact...

Forum List

Back