Pentagon: shooting of Reuters journalists in Iraq justified

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer
Tue Jun 17, 12:54 PM ET

WASHINGTON - The 2005 shooting death of a Reuters journalist in the midst of a firefight in Baghdad was justified because U.S. soldiers believed the camera protruding from an unmarked car was a rocket propelled grenade, the Pentagon's internal watchdog has concluded.

In an 82-page report, the Defense Department's inspector general also said that Reuters safety practices contributed to the death of sound technician Waleed Khaled, and the wounding of cameraman Haider Kadhem.

While the report was critical of how the initial investigation was conducted — saying the military unit's investigating officer did not follow correct procedures — it nevertheless concluded that a "preponderance of evidence establishes that the cameraman and driver took actions during the incident that reasonably led U.S. soldiers to believe they were confronting hostile intent."

Reuters Editor-in-Chief David Schlesinger said he believes the inspector general took the case seriously and came up with positive recommendations.

"We are never satisfied when a journalist is killed in the course of covering a story," he said. "I welcome the recommendation that the military and media engage together to better ensure the safety of journalists on the front line."

He said Reuters will examine its safety procedures, and noted, "Better training for journalists and for the military, clear rules of engagement and a closer dialogue are essential in order to prevent further tragedies occurring."

more ... Pentagon: shooting of Reuters journalists in Iraq justified - Yahoo! News

Keeping one's dumb ass the Hell away from a firefight comes to mind as "better training for journalists."

Reporters have always been in danger covering war zones, but I'm so very surprised the pentagon would say it was "justified".

Because they actually targetted the vehicle. It wasn't an accidental shooting, or it would be categorized as an accident.

The actions of the troops because they targetted the vehicle had to be "justified."

Because they actually targetted the vehicle. It wasn't an accidental shooting, or it would be categorized as an accident.

The actions of the troops because they targetted the vehicle had to be "justified."

Yup they can not use the word accident because the troops fired on the vehicle on purpose. Thus either they fired on it legally with in the ROE or they did not. That is why the word Justified is used.

Yup they can not use the word accident because the troops fired on the vehicle on purpose. Thus either they fired on it legally with in the ROE or they did not. That is why the word Justified is used.

Polly want a cracker?

I dunno, I'm pretty inclined to nod to the Pentagon on this one.

According to the report, U.S. soldiers responding to an ambush on Iraqi police, saw the car with the Reuters journalists inside, and mistook Kadhem's handheld camcorder and microphone for a weapon. The soldiers fired warning shots at the car.

Following Reuters' safety procedures, the crew put the car in reverse and began to back away — an action the military is trained to interpret as an insurgent's combat tactics.

The soldiers fired shots to disable the car, killing and wounding the journalists. A contributing factor, the inspector general said, was the Reuters policy that allows journalists to work without wearing protective equipment, and in unmarked cars.

So, while responding to an ambush these soldiers encounter someone in an unmarked van pointing equipment at them, and follow their training.

The cameraman's death was certainly a tragedy, but I think it would be highly inappropriate to punish those soldiers for it.

Reporters have always been in danger covering war zones

Very true.

I see insinuation and innuendo are alive and well with your ignorant pap. You sure your not really a Liberal?

RGS...

Listen brother...

Nothing I ever say to you is meant to be harmful or hateful. We may go back and forth during discussions, and tempers flare...But ultimately, I have no disdain for you whatsoever. I don't even know you, so how could I? More often then not, I'm only making a joke. This time included.

But the part about being a liberal is funny, though. I often wonder the same thing about you.

New Topics

Forum List

Back