Pentagon find no evidence that Saddam tried to assasinate Poppy Bush

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
Pentagon report finds no evidence of Saddam attempt to assassinate Bush

Published: Monday March 24, 2008

In President Bush's view, former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was many things -- a developer of weapons of mass destruction, an ally of al Qaeda and "a guy that tried to kill my dad."

Recent intelligence reports have already shot down those first two notions. No WMD stockpiles were found in Iraq after the US invasion, and a just-released Pentagon assessment failed to find any "smoking gun" link between Saddam and the terror group that plotted the 9/11 attacks.

Now skepticism is newly enveloping allegations of an Iraqi plot to assassinate former President George H.W. Bush during a trip to Kuwait in 1993. Newsweek's Michael Isikoff reports that the same Pentagon report that has essentially disproved an Iraq-al Qaeda link also calls into question the 1993 plot that spurred former President Bill Clinton to launch a Tomahawk cruise-missle strike against Saddam's Iraqi Intelligence.

The review, conducted for the Pentagon's Joint Forces Command, combed through 600,000 pages of Iraqi intelligence documents seized after the fall of Baghdad, as well as thousands of hours of audio- and videotapes of Saddam's conversations with his ministers and top aides. The study found that the IIS kept remarkably detailed records of virtually every operation it planned, including plots to assassinate Iraqi exiles and to supply explosives and booby-trapped suitcases to Iraqi embassies. But the Pentagon researchers found no documents that referred to a plan to kill Bush. The absence was conspicuous because researchers, aware of its potential significance, were looking for such evidence. "It was surprising," said one source familiar with the preparation of the report (who under Pentagon ground rules was not permitted to speak on the record). Given how much the Iraqis did document, "you would have thought there would have been some veiled reference to something about [the plot]."

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Pentagon_report_finds_no_evidence_of_0324.html

Pentagon report finds no evidence of Saddam attempt to assassinate Bush

Published: Monday March 24, 2008

In President Bush's view, former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was many things -- a developer of weapons of mass destruction, an ally of al Qaeda and "a guy that tried to kill my dad."

Recent intelligence reports have already shot down those first two notions. No WMD stockpiles were found in Iraq after the US invasion, and a just-released Pentagon assessment failed to find any "smoking gun" link between Saddam and the terror group that plotted the 9/11 attacks.

Now skepticism is newly enveloping allegations of an Iraqi plot to assassinate former President George H.W. Bush during a trip to Kuwait in 1993. Newsweek's Michael Isikoff reports that the same Pentagon report that has essentially disproved an Iraq-al Qaeda link also calls into question the 1993 plot that spurred former President Bill Clinton to launch a Tomahawk cruise-missle strike against Saddam's Iraqi Intelligence.

The review, conducted for the Pentagon's Joint Forces Command, combed through 600,000 pages of Iraqi intelligence documents seized after the fall of Baghdad, as well as thousands of hours of audio- and videotapes of Saddam's conversations with his ministers and top aides. The study found that the IIS kept remarkably detailed records of virtually every operation it planned, including plots to assassinate Iraqi exiles and to supply explosives and booby-trapped suitcases to Iraqi embassies. But the Pentagon researchers found no documents that referred to a plan to kill Bush. The absence was conspicuous because researchers, aware of its potential significance, were looking for such evidence. "It was surprising," said one source familiar with the preparation of the report (who under Pentagon ground rules was not permitted to speak on the record). Given how much the Iraqis did document, "you would have thought there would have been some veiled reference to something about [the plot]."

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Pentagon_report_finds_no_evidence_of_0324.html

:clap2: One more liberal talking point eliminated....Bush didn't go to war with Saddam over his daddy...

Perhaps Bush might like to present the evidence he has that Saddam tried to have his father murdered. If he can't then yet another purported reason for invading Iraq is down the toilet, along with the others. When all the purported reasons have been disposed of and there's nothing left, what then? Was there no reason at all for the invasion? Did BushCheney invade for nothing at all?

Perhaps Bush might like to present the evidence he has that Saddam tried to have his father murdered. If he can't then yet another purported reason for invading Iraq is down the toilet, along with the others. When all the purported reasons have been disposed of and there's nothing left, what then? Was there no reason at all for the invasion? Did BushCheney invade for nothing at all?

I don't think that Bush has ever said the reason he went to war against Saddam was because of the supposed plot. But nice try.

I seem to remember reading somewhere where Bush, in bolstering his view that Saddam was dangerous to the US somehow wrapped up in there, "he tried to kill my dad." Of course that could have been part of his folksy presentation style back then and of course my memory could be faulty (which unfortunately is entirely possible). Either way if it was a reason it appears it is now not so.

Any idea which reasons for the invasion are still holding up?

:clap2: One more liberal talking point eliminated....Bush didn't go to war with Saddam over his daddy..

George Bush, 2002: In discussing the threat posed by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, Bush said: "After all, this is the guy who tried to kill my dad."

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/09/27/bush.war.talk/

Text of Joint Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Armed Forces Against Iraq 2002

Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States, including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush and by firing on many thousands of occasions on United States and Coalition Armed Forces engaged in enforcing the resolutions of the United Nations Security Council

I seem to remember reading somewhere where Bush, in bolstering his view that Saddam was dangerous to the US somehow wrapped up in there, "he tried to kill my dad." Of course that could have been part of his folksy presentation style back then and of course my memory could be faulty (which unfortunately is entirely possible). Either way if it was a reason it appears it is now not so.

Any idea which reasons for the invasion are still holding up?

Yes, we removed a butcher and man with ties to terrorism.

Lol....Yeah I remember that too...UN SEC General the UN should authorize military force against the Saddam regime because he tried to hurt my daddy.
I never stated that Bush didn't say that Saddam had tried to kill Bush SR. ,but that the Bush Sr. plot was never the reason for war.

Your too funny really....are you a freaking comedian?:rofl:

Lol....Yeah I remember that too...UN SEC General the UN should authorize military force against the Saddam regime because he tried to hurt my daddy.
I never stated that Bush didn't say that Saddam had tried to kill Bush SR. ,but that the Bush Sr. plot was never the reason for war.

Your too funny really....are you a freaking comedian?:rofl:

It was cited as a "reason" in the War Authorization dumbass.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/10/20021002-2.html

"Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States, including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush..."

dumbass

Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States, including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush and by firing on many thousands of occasions on United States and Coalition Armed Forces engaged in enforcing the resolutions of the United Nations Security Council;

Why didn't you post the whole paragraph? Seems as though he was only using it as an example not as a reason....You liberals really believe this BS:rolleyes:

the 1993 plot that spurred former President Bill Clinton to launch a Tomahawk cruise-missle strike against Saddam's Iraqi Intelligence.

Clinton shooting missiles for nothing.....?????
Killing people for nothing.....????
Damn....:eusa_doh:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/10/20021002-2.html

"Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States, including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush..."

dumbass

Newsweek's Michael Isikoff reports that the same Pentagon report that has essentially disproved an Iraq-al Qaeda link also calls into question the 1993 plot that spurred former President Bill Clinton to launch a Tomahawk cruise-missle strike against Saddam's Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS).

Damn it Bill....:eusa_whistle:

Yes, we removed a butcher and man with ties to terrorism.

Jesus, do you have a Shrine of Bush are your house that you worship every night?

If you had asked the american people in 2002, if they wanted to go to war at enormous cost of blood and treasure against saddam even though he didn't have WMD, didn't have ties to al qaeda, considered Bin Laden his enemy, and didn't try to kill Bush senior, you could have fit the total number of americans that supported your war in a toilet stall.

The fact that you still think your war was a great idea just means you are in love with George Bush

Newsweek's Michael Isikoff reports that the same Pentagon report that has essentially disproved an Iraq-al Qaeda link also calls into question the 1993 plot that spurred former President Bill Clinton to launch a Tomahawk cruise-missle strike against Saddam's Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS).

Damn it Bill....:eusa_whistle:

what a pussy....
call someone a dumbass and then run away when the proof is rammed down your throat.

pathetic

what a pussy....
call someone a dumbass and then run away when the proof is rammed down your throat.

pathetic

Didn't run away I'm still here jackass, that in no way proved that was the reason for war. It was listed as an example for a reason to go to war. Learn the difference:eusa_wall:

Jesus, do you have a Shrine of Bush are your house that you worship every night?

If you had asked the american people in 2002, if they wanted to go to war at enormous cost of blood and treasure against saddam even though he didn't have WMD, didn't have ties to al qaeda, considered Bin Laden his enemy, and didn't try to kill Bush senior, you could have fit the total number of americans that supported your war in a toilet stall.

The fact that you still think your war was a great idea just means you are in love with George Bush

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/889pvpxc.asp

This ought to be big news. Throughout the early and mid-1990s, Saddam Hussein actively supported an influential terrorist group headed by the man who is now al Qaeda's second-in-command, according to an exhaustive study issued last week by the Pentagon. "Saddam supported groups that either associated directly with al Qaeda (such as the Egyptian Islamic Jihad, led at one time by bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri) or that generally shared al Qaeda's stated goals and objectives." According to the Pentagon study, Egyptian Islamic Jihad was one of many jihadist groups that Iraq's former dictator funded, trained, equipped, and armed.

The study was commissioned by the Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Virginia, and produced by analysts at the Institute for Defense Analyses, a federally funded military think tank. It is entitled "Iraqi Perspectives Project: Saddam and Terrorism: Emerging Insights from Captured Iraqi Documents." The study is based on a review of some 600,000 documents captured in postwar Iraq. Those "documents" include letters, memos, computer files, audiotapes, and videotapes produced by Saddam Hussein's regime, especially his intelligence services. The analysis section of the study covers 59 pages. The appendices, which include copies of some of the captured documents and translations, put the entire study at approximately 1,600 pages

In 1993, as Osama bin Laden's fighters battled Americans in Somalia, Saddam Hussein personally ordered the formation of an Iraqi terrorist group to join the battle there.

None of this means anything to you huh?? Of course not....

No shrine of Bush, I see BS, I call it BS when I see it.

Isikoff notes that the absence of evidence does not prove the Iraqis weren't planning to assassinate the former question (just as Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld famously said about Iraq WMD never found, that "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"),

No shrine of Bush, I see BS, I call it BS when I see it.

Isikoff notes that the absence of evidence does not prove the Iraqis weren't planning to assassinate the former question (just as Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld famously said about Iraq WMD never found, that "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"),

That's from your own post dumbass!

New Topics

Forum List

Back