Pennsylvania voter ID law blocked for November election

Judge halts Pennsylvania’s tough new voter ID law - Nation - The Boston Globe

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A judge postponed Pennsylvania’s controversial voter identification requirement on Tuesday, ordering the state not to enforce it in this year’s presidential election.

The decision by Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson on the law requiring each voter to show a valid photo ID could be appealed to the state Supreme Court. The law could go into full effect next year, under Simpson’s ruling.

This is good news for my mom, as her license has expired two years ago and she is not capable of waiting in line at the dmv for a photo id. Hopefully they'll set up places other than the dmv where you'll be able to get an id. We already got my special needs son an ID but went with an ID that can be used universally, rather than just for voting. He'll never drive and he needs some form of ID.

I still think that a photo id to vote is a good idea and have no problem that they are delaying it. It seemed rushed to me. Thanks for the info, PJ.

Zoom... as for your mom, I am sure they make accommodations for people with a handicap or injury...

Delaying this does what good? The only persons it would do good for is those who either are not eligible to vote and who are going to the polls, or activists....

Zoom... as for your mom, I am sure they make accommodations for people with a handicap or injury...

Delaying this does what good? The only persons it would do good for is those who either are not eligible to vote and who are going to the polls, or activists....

It makes sure the law is coherent and being drafted in good faith and not simply a skeezy attempt to steal an election as at least one PA lawmaker has stated.

Actually, no allowance is made for anyone.
Can you cite a case of a voter voting illegally?

it makes sure non citizens will vote this year. great going democrats.

While I don't think voter ID is needed, I don't oppose it either. However rushing huge changes to voter laws disenfranchises voters. If you want to change the law, change it November 8th, and give people plenty time to get everything they need, and give the state time to work out any unexpected issues that may arise.

Willow Tree is concerned a foreign national will vote in our next election. Yet, she has never expressed concern that Hugo Chavez, Saudi King Abdullah, Vladamir Putin or AQ can give money anonymously to influence our elections.

Color me astonished.

I am pleasantly surprised this judge came to this conclusion. If you read post 141 of this topic, you will find I was not optimistic he would find the law risked disenfranchising voters since he had originally given the law the green light.

The state Supreme Court kicked it back down to him, and so it is quite amazing he has come to his senses and seen the law is too restrictive.

It takes a lot of guts to admit one was wrong, so major kudos to the judge. I really did not expect this outcome.

Really? To vote one must be registered. County Clerks are required to verify registrations.

You're welcome, I hope you appreciate my never ending efforts to disabuse you of your many ignorant beliefs.

what prevents an illegal from registering? and what tools do country clerks use to verify?

Oh, well if DiamondDave is "sure" of it then that's all the reassurance anyone needs. NEvermind what the law says.

And the people who are elgiible to vote who have no ID, but hey, we already know you and your rightie buddies don't want those folks to vote.

Really? To vote one must be registered. County Clerks are required to verify registrations.

You're welcome, I hope you appreciate my never ending efforts to disabuse you of your many ignorant beliefs.

what prevents an illegal from registering? and what tools do country clerks use to verify?

They obviously would have to lie on the registration form. However that should be caught by the clerk who verifies the form by matching it agaisnt county records like the DMV and Social security records.

If anyone wants to prevent illegals from voting all you need to do is post signs in Spanish at every voting precinct that say "enter this building for deportation"

My parents are (freakin' finally!) moving into a retirement place this Thursday. My mom found out that they were going to provide the means to get a photo ID there, which is terrific. I just told her she doesn't have to worry about it this time around.

I don't understand why registering to vote (at least in PA) requires nothing more than filling out a few lines on a form and mailing it in, no requirement to prove you are who you say you are. I'd like to see in-person, photo ID voter registration. Wouldn't that curb more fraud than simply presenting an ID at the voting booth?

zoom... As for your mom, i am sure they make accommodations for people with a handicap or injury...

my parents are (freakin' finally!) moving into a retirement place this thursday. My mom found out that they were going to provide the means to get a photo id there, which is terrific. I just told her she doesn't have to worry about it this time around.

I don't understand why registering to vote (at least in pa) requires nothing more than filling out a few lines on a form and mailing it in, no requirement to prove you are who you say you are. I'd like to see in-person, photo id voter registration. Wouldn't that curb more fraud than simply presenting an id at the voting booth?

a: Y

It makes sure the law is coherent and being drafted in good faith and not simply a skeezy attempt to steal an election as at least one PA lawmaker has stated.

Proving you are who you say you are and eligible to vote where you are voting is not 'stealing an election'

Forum List

Back