Pennsylvania drug testing welfare recipients

I don't care how they came to be single mothers. Let them collect but they should feel embarrassed about letting other people pay their way. Maybe if there was more healthy shame in this country we'd have less people on the dole.

You dont care. I got that, typical repub. I know of two families where the father passed on. But you dont care, fuck them right.

The problems with Liberals is you want to give the same assistance to a single mother whose husband passed on and a single mother on welfare who is to lazy to look for a job.

Yes, in both situation the kids should be taken care of. But what the mother has to do get the assistance should vary.

There's nothing wrong with assisting single Moms. It just can't become a way of life for them for years and years.

It's never going to be overhauled in that way. As soon as you try and change the program to profile recipients it will be political backlash. The system is too deep at this point to fix. It's a shame, but that's the reality of the situation. Hopefully someday before I die I'll be proven wrong.

You dont care. I got that, typical repub. I know of two families where the father passed on. But you dont care, fuck them right.

The problems with Liberals is you want to give the same assistance to a single mother whose husband passed on and a single mother on welfare who is to lazy to look for a job.

Yes, in both situation the kids should be taken care of. But what the mother has to do get the assistance should vary.

There's nothing wrong with assisting single Moms. It just can't become a way of life for them for years and years.

And there is nothing wrong with a person being ashamed of being a charity case either.

Shame comes from a conscience from doing something wrong. Suddenly finding yourself needing help should not be accompanied by shame unless there was previous wrong doing.

And there is nothing wrong with a person being ashamed of being a charity case either.

Shame comes from a conscience from doing something wrong. Suddenly finding yourself needing help should not be accompanied by shame unless there was previous wrong doing.

In this case, shame would hopefully eventually manifest as you spend years on welfare without ever really making any attempt to dig your way out of it.

I don't care how they came to be single mothers. Let them collect but they should feel embarrassed about letting other people pay their way. Maybe if there was more healthy shame in this country we'd have less people on the dole.

More Food Stamps Recipients Now Have Jobs

"About forty percent of food stamp recipients are ... in households in which at least one member of the family earns wages. ... In 1989, a higher percentage were on benefits than working, but as of 2009 a higher percentage had earned income."

It can't become a "way of life".

Debunking the Myth of the “Welfare Queen”: Who Actually Receives TANF Benefits?

Government-subsidized cash assistance isn’t going to make someone rich – in Pennsylvania, the maximum amount a mother with two children can receive in most counties is $403 per month. Recipients have trouble pulling their families out of poverty at all, and end up in the same spot once their benefits expire. Plus, welfare reform laws limit the amount of time a family is eligible to receive benefits, five years being the max. Exceptions to the rule are possible, but they are few and far between.

In this case, shame would hopefully eventually manifest as you spend years on welfare without ever really making any attempt to dig your way out of it.

I dont disagree. There are many that will take advantage of the situation. Sharon Jasper is a lifetime welfare recipient. Who said no one should have to work for a living.

I am only piping up to make sure not everyone is lumped together, as many of the right like to do.

Why do welfare losers claim they don't need to prove they are not using drugs when the US military does to get their paycheck?

Welfare checks are not a right just like a job in the military isn't a right.

If you are taking taxpayer money in any form then the public has the right to know what you are doing with that money i.e. using it for illegal purposes.

I dont disagree. There are many that will take advantage of the situation. Sharon Jasper is a lifetime welfare recipient. Who said no one should have to work for a living.

I am only piping up to make sure not everyone is lumped together, as many of the right like to do.

I agree. As fiscally conservative as I am, welfare is certainly not my first ax to grind. It's well-meaning, and in a lot of cases can be positive for the economy as it brings people out of a hole and props them up to eventually contribute again. It was just horribly constructed and not redesigned in time to be fixed before things got too deep and out of control. Now it's really just an enormous vote buying tool whose real purpose has long been forgotten by our representatives.

You think we need something like work requirements and a five-year lifetime maximum on benefit payouts to such women?

I sure hope somebody gets on that.

These (Florida and Pennsylvania's tests) are fairly obvious attempts to discourage use of public assistance by humiliating and harassing those who would apply for it.

If I have to take a drug test to get a job programming computers, then I fail to see the reason welfare recipients can't be asked to take a drug test.

Because they're not applying for a job.

I see claims that they are expensive tests.

Yeah, a whopping $6.00 for a 12 panel test when purchased in bulk. 12-Panel Drug Test - $7.99 each I'd hardly call that expensive.

Well, it's good to know that the companies administering the tests won't have a big overhead and can make lots of profits. Just one thing.....how much are they charging the patients?

It's worse....they are asking for FREE money. :eusa_whistle:

They didn't earn shit by just breathing, eating and crapping in my country. They demand some form of payment for existing here?

Well, take a drug test, asshole.

These (Florida and Pennsylvania's tests) are fairly obvious attempts to discourage use of public assistance by humiliating and harassing those who would apply for it.

If I have to take a drug test to get a job programming computers, then I fail to see the reason welfare recipients can't be asked to take a drug test.

Because they're not applying for a job.

I didn't say they can't be. I was pushing back against the notion that this is some nefarious plot to control the population when it's obviously just a thinly-veiled attempt to cull the rolls, PRWORA-style.

It's not a nefarious plot. It's just the way it works out. Democrats push for the caretaker state, Republicans push for the police state. And once the dependency is in place, the dictating behavior part becomes compelling argument. Why should they be able to get high on taxpayer money?

We're going to start seeing the same dynamic once health care is socialized. The one thing Democrats and Republicans seem to agree on is that there's really no limit to what the government can force you to do, and once the public is picking up the tab for your health care, pretty much all your personal habits become fair game. Smoking? Poor diet? Couch potato? Look out, we're coming for you!

Last edited:
You don't have to collect welfare, therefore you don't have to submit to the drug test. That's why it's not a violation of the 4th amendment.

This is why you're a fucking idiot. May as well say you don't need to drive a car, so the state can demand that your vehicle be searched every single day by the police. If you actually knew anything about how the fourth amendment works, you wouldn't be saying such stupid things. The whole point of FREEDOM is that you don't have to do alot of things, but you have the right to be free from certain government actions WITHOUT QUALIFICATION.

Now, go read the 4th amendment. Go see what it says. You'll learn that people have protection from UNREASONABLE searches and seizures. Go do a little more research. You'll learn that in order to be reasonable under the constitution, the government must have PROBABLE CAUSE to believe you have committed a crime.

How does your brain keep you alive?

One would figure the batteries would've run out by age 3 or 4.

If people have the money for illegal drugs they have the money to pay more taxes.
Wall Street cokeheads for instance.

That's because, like the big government statist that you are, you fail to understand the concept of the 4th amendment.

Uh, where in the Constitution does it talk about getting your free welfare check from other taxpayers????

Oh, there is no unreasonable search and seizure involved with doing something in public like getting on an airplane or going to the welfare office to pick up your check. :eusa_whistle:

They even check you for weapons when you go to City Hall now.

You don't have to collect welfare, therefore you don't have to submit to the drug test. That's why it's not a violation of the 4th amendment.

This is why you're a fucking idiot. May as well say you don't need to drive a car, so the state can demand that your vehicle be searched every single day by the police. If you actually knew anything about how the fourth amendment works, you wouldn't be saying such stupid things. The whole point of FREEDOM is that you don't have to do alot of things, but you have the right to be free from certain government actions WITHOUT QUALIFICATION.

Now, go read the 4th amendment. Go see what it says. You'll learn that people have protection from UNREASONABLE searches and seizures. Go do a little more research. You'll learn that in order to be reasonable under the constitution, the government must have PROBABLE CAUSE to believe you have committed a crime.

Forum List

Back