Pennsylvania Defending Lawsuit By Blaming Woman For Her Own Rape

A 24-year-old was working at the Rockland state prison in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania prison as a typist when she was attacked and raped by an inmate. Omar Best was convicted of her rape. The victim has sued the state of Pennsylvania, which is defending the lawsuit by claiming that her actions “in whole or in part contributed” to her own rape.

Kathleen Kane’s office was flooded with calls yesterday after the Centre Daily Times initially reported the lawsuit response. The Attorney General’s office says Kane didn’t know about this response to the lawsuit when it was filed, even though her name is on it. Kane spokesman David Tyler talked to the Centre Daily, which explained, “Kane’s name is attached to hundreds of documents every week, most of which she did not author and might not have read.” (I guess “It’s my first day!” or “The dog ate my copy of the filing” sounded worse.)

Read more at Pa. Defending Lawsuit by Blaming Woman For Her Own Rape News Philadelphia Magazine

Watching Kane dance around is almost entertaining.
This seems fairly standard.

The state, like anyone else is not going to take any blame and it's standard to blame the victim.

She will win as the state will eventually settle.

A 24-year-old was working at the Rockland state prison in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania prison as a typist when she was attacked and raped by an inmate. Omar Best was convicted of her rape. The victim has sued the state of Pennsylvania, which is defending the lawsuit by claiming that her actions “in whole or in part contributed” to her own rape.

Kathleen Kane’s office was flooded with calls yesterday after the Centre Daily Times initially reported the lawsuit response. The Attorney General’s office says Kane didn’t know about this response to the lawsuit when it was filed, even though her name is on it. Kane spokesman David Tyler talked to the Centre Daily, which explained, “Kane’s name is attached to hundreds of documents every week, most of which she did not author and might not have read.” (I guess “It’s my first day!” or “The dog ate my copy of the filing” sounded worse.)

Read more at Pa. Defending Lawsuit by Blaming Woman For Her Own Rape News Philadelphia Magazine

Bad wording, but I'd assume they mean she violated security protocols putting herself into physical proximity with an inmate though not qualified to be so.

Bad wording, but I'd assume they mean she violated security protocols putting herself into physical proximity with an inmate though not qualified to be so.
Very not-PC post here: This wasn't some girl hangin out having fun who was druged and assulted. This was a professional who should have known better.

Please note that I did not just condone rape or side with the attacker. If you leave the door to the tiger exibit open then when you become lunch yes you do own some of the responsability for that.

No reason a typist should be in physical proximity to a prison inmate. If she was and the prisoner didn't bypass security somehow, the only logical conclusion is she messed up. Wouldn't "blame her for her own rape" so much as suggest her violation of security protocols put her in harm's way.

She didn't. The office was moved from a safe area. That's one. Two they allowed this guy to roam. She didn't violate anything.

Forum List

Back