Pennsylvania Defending Lawsuit By Blaming Woman For Her Own Rape

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A 24-year-old was working at the Rockland state prison in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania prison as a typist when she was attacked and raped by an inmate. Omar Best was convicted of her rape. The victim has sued the state of Pennsylvania, which is defending the lawsuit by claiming that her actions “in whole or in part contributed” to her own rape.

Kathleen Kane’s office was flooded with calls yesterday after the Centre Daily Times initially reported the lawsuit response. The Attorney General’s office says Kane didn’t know about this response to the lawsuit when it was filed, even though her name is on it. Kane spokesman David Tyler talked to the Centre Daily, which explained, “Kane’s name is attached to hundreds of documents every week, most of which she did not author and might not have read.” (I guess “It’s my first day!” or “The dog ate my copy of the filing” sounded worse.)

Read more at Pa. Defending Lawsuit by Blaming Woman For Her Own Rape News Philadelphia Magazine

Watching Kane dance around is almost entertaining.

A 24-year-old was working at the Rockland state prison in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania prison as a typist when she was attacked and raped by an inmate. Omar Best was convicted of her rape. The victim has sued the state of Pennsylvania, which is defending the lawsuit by claiming that her actions “in whole or in part contributed” to her own rape.

Kathleen Kane’s office was flooded with calls yesterday after the Centre Daily Times initially reported the lawsuit response. The Attorney General’s office says Kane didn’t know about this response to the lawsuit when it was filed, even though her name is on it. Kane spokesman David Tyler talked to the Centre Daily, which explained, “Kane’s name is attached to hundreds of documents every week, most of which she did not author and might not have read.” (I guess “It’s my first day!” or “The dog ate my copy of the filing” sounded worse.)

Read more at Pa. Defending Lawsuit by Blaming Woman For Her Own Rape News Philadelphia Magazine

So when we blame Obama for shit his people do in his name we are right?

What does Obama have to do with this?

God dammit, I wish women would stop being such cry babies and such rigid dogma enforcers.

There is a world of difference between a RAPIST blaming the women for her rape and a 3rd Party who the women claims IS RESPONSIBLE for the rape defending itself by counterclaiming the same damn thing.

Do you understand what is going on? She's blaming the State, not the rapist. When a victim of rape points the finger at me and blames me for her being raped by another man, I'm damn well going to defend myself and if I think she was to blame for her rape I'll damn well say so. Her feelings and feminist dogma doesn't take precedence over my innocence.

In her casting blame on the State her lawsuit declares the prison "still allowed Omar Best to have unsupervised access to the offices of female employees." Women are the equal of men. Well, aren't they? So what does her sex have to do with the issue? Men were just as exposed to prisoners as women. If interacting with prisoners is too risky for people then they shouldn't work in a prison, just like people who don't want to deal with criminals should not be employed in police departments.

God dammit, I wish women would stop being such cry babies and such rigid dogma enforcers.

There is a world of difference between a RAPIST blaming the women for her rape and a 3rd Party who the women claims IS RESPONSIBLE for the rape defending itself by counterclaiming the same damn thing.

Do you understand what is going on? She's blaming the State, not the rapist. When a victim of rape points the finger at me and blames me for her being raped by another man, I'm damn well going to defend myself and if I think she was to blame for her rape I'll damn well say so. Her feelings and feminist dogma doesn't take precedence over my innocence.

In her casting blame on the State her lawsuit declares the prison "still allowed Omar Best to have unsupervised access to the offices of female employees." Women are the equal of men. Well, aren't they? So what does her sex have to do with the issue? Men were just as exposed to prisoners as women. If interacting with prisoners is too risky for people then they shouldn't work in a prison, just like people who don't want to deal with criminals should not be employed in police departments.
She was NOT a guard. She was an office worker. The Prison should have restricted that man's access to women unless they were guards. The State is to blame.

You are blaming the AG for something her staff did. So I guess you agree blaming Obama for what his staff did is fair game too right?

She was NOT a guard. She was an office worker. The Prison should have restricted that man's access to women unless they were guards. The State is to blame.

Perhaps the state is to blame. This though doesn't mean that the state is wrong to claim that her own behavior may have led to the rape. She's blaming the state, so the state has every right, ESPECIALLY IS THEY'RE NOT TO BLAME, to push back and claim that she is responsible.

This don't blame the victim position applies to the victim-rapist. When the victim points to a 3rd party and says "They're to blame" then they have a right to push back.

Even if she is not a guard, a prison is a dangerous place, meaning that bad stuff can happen without the prison doing anything wrong. The reporting wasn't clear about exactly what the state did wrong. Apparently there was a locked copy room between the office and the prison and somehow the prisoner got from the prison area into the office.

I see two issues in play.

1.) Is the state wrong to defend itself?
2.) Was the State negligent in some manner.

I believe that when the victim points the finger at a 3rd party and blames them then the "don't blame the victim" rule gets chucked out the window. This still holds even if the state was negligent.

You are blaming the AG for something her staff did. So I guess you agree blaming Obama for what his staff did is fair game too right?

I used to think you were just a sweet old man a bit off your rocker. I am now convinced that you are just off your rocker. It's about the AG. Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it happened this way but it is not uncommon for a woman who works in a prison to become infatuated with an inmate. A typist would never be in a position where she was alone with an inmate unless the security broke down or she intentionally put herself in jeopardy.

I'm not saying it happened this way but it is not uncommon for a woman who works in a prison to become infatuated with an inmate. A typist would never be in a position where she was alone with an inmate unless the security broke down or she intentionally put herself in jeopardy.

For instance, if she unlocked a door to talk to a guard and then forgot to lock the door again and then the prisoner came into her office, how is that the State's fault? The devil here is in the details. I haven't seen any reporting on the details of how the prisoner got to her. All the reporting is about the banshees screaming about how women can NEVER be blamed for their rapes. All I see is a preemptive move to block the State's defense in order to preserve feminist dogma.

Maybe the woman was not to blame, maybe the state was negligent. We don't know. If the state was negligent then there were bone-headedly negligent to allow prisoners to have open access to clerical staff. There's simply no reason that seems plausible to allow that to happen by design.

For instance, if she unlocked a door to talk to a guard and then forgot to lock the door again and then the prisoner came into her office, how is that the State's fault? The devil here is in the details. I haven't seen any reporting on the details of how the prisoner got to her. All the reporting is about the banshees screaming about how women can NEVER be blamed for their rapes. All I see is a preemptive move to block the State's defense in order to preserve feminist dogma.

Maybe the woman was not to blame, maybe the state was negligent. We don't know. If the state was negligent then there were bone-headedly negligent to allow prisoners to have open access to clerical staff. There's simply no reason that seems plausible to allow that to happen by design.

Typists don't get access to security keys and they don't work in areas where inmates are confined. Nothing makes sense unless the woman intentionally put herself in a position where she was vulnerable to attack or the state was completely negligent. .

Obama's responsible for everything bad that happens.

You didn't know that?

I used to think you were just a sweet old man a bit off your rocker. I am now convinced that you are just off your rocker. It's about the AG. Thanks for playing.
Once again YOU are claiming that the AG is responsible for what her people do, whether she knew about it or not. But you are not making the same claim about Obama and what his people did whether he knew about it or not.

Once again YOU are claiming that the AG is responsible for what her people do, whether she knew about it or not. But you are not making the same claim about Obama and what his people did whether he knew about it or not.

Actions tend to speak louder than words. Principle takes precedence over the Attorney General's political career but Obama's reputation takes precedence over principle, so principle can be sacrificed for the greater good of protecting Obama.

n fact, the lawsuit says that the prison superintendent actually moved the clerk offices from a secure floor where there was no inmate contact to a location that was on a cell block.
"There were no locked doors between the offices and cell blocks, including Block C where (the victim) worked, except for the copy room," the lawsuit states.

Even though Best was convicted of the rape in May and a review of the prison found multiple failings and led to the superintendent's removal, a senior deputy attorney general wrote that the woman "acted in a manner which in whole or in part contributed to the events" in his response to her lawsuit.

The state attorney general's office at first declined to comment when the matter was reported by the Centre Daily Times, in State College, Pennsylvania.

Wednesday, the office released a statement saying that it is required to present all possible defenses and "contributory negligence is one such defense."

In the statement provided to CNN, the attorney general's office said, "This initial filing should not necessarily be interpreted as meaning this defense will be pursued throughout the entire case," adding that elected Attorney General Kathleen Kane was not aware her senior deputy included that defense in his filing.

"Attorney General Kane is disappointed that she was not made aware of this matter prior to the filing, and was saddened to learn that the filing implied that the victim somehow contributed to this crime."

The dance.

Without some fairly outrageous failings by the rape victim herself, this almost seems like an open&shut case against the State.

The State has an obligation to avoid the victimization of its employees by the inmates, and unless the state can prove that these circumstances were extraordinary and totally unforeseeable (thus not constituting negligence on the part of the State), then I - a Pennsylvania taxpayer - am fucked.

I suspect that this victim violated some mandatory precautions that she was required to take, and those failings are the basis of the state's defense. It is not enough to say, she decided to work in a prison so she has to accept this risk.

You are right, he should have never been left alone with her.

If the State put her in a position where she could be attacked, then they are to blame.

That's true and it is certainly an important issue. On the other hand if a female employee of the state correction system intentionally put herself in a situation that caused her harm the state's defense could be intentionally misinterpreted.

So basicaly Ms.Kane didn't perfectly follow policy regarding locked doors to control acess by prisoners, her attacker is trying to use that technicality to get away with the assult, which may very well happen now since Ms.Kane didn't know about the response to then take action on it.

We should just exicute rapists on the first offence and be don with them.

Forum List

Back