Pennsylvania couple handcuffed & arrested for theft for not leaving tip

They could have told the restaurant "no" and gone somewhere else. If the service were that bad, I would have asked to speak to the manager.
Better still the original system of tipping a server only if the service was satisfactory should remain in place. No further complication is needed. This policy of adding a presumptive gratuity to the check amounts to a de facto tax which makes use of local law enforcement as a revenue enforcement agency.

It's been my experience that some servers are very pleasant and deserve to be rewarded accordingly while others clearly resent having to earn money in that way and manage to convey their unhappiness in a number of annoying and unpleasant ways. The policy of mandatory tipping accommodates these malcontents and is sure to affect the overall quality of service in the future. So instead of a mandatory gratuity added to the check the restaurant should raise its prices and pay the servers a flat rate per table.

I personally will not patronize a restaurant that has a mandatory gratuity policy.

They shouldn't have to pay a tip if the service was crap. If they had to wait ages for their meal, has to get their own cutlery, then I would refuse to pay the tip. Come to think of it, why were they expected to ay a tip anyway? They paid for the meal, they are not there to pay the wages of the damned employees!

This is what happens when you have a communist like obozo in the WH. You have no rights and the state controls everything.

Couple arrested over 'theft' for refusing to tip in restaurant - Telegraph

5:47PM GMT 23 Nov 2009
Leslie Pope and John Wagner were handcuffed and hauled away after they failed to leave a restaurant's mandatory 18 per cent gratuity - totalling $16 (£10) - for their party of eight.

"Nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," said Miss Pope, 22.

The couple, students at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, had joined six friends at the town's Lehigh Pub for dinner. They claimed they had to wait almost an hour for their meal to arrive and Miss Pope said the service was so shoddy they had to get their own cutlery and napkins.

The group said they had to repeatedly ask for drink refills while their waitress smoked outside the pub.

At the end of the meal of salad and chicken wings, they were presented with a $73.87 bill. A $16.35 tip had been added as there was eight people in the party
Blame it on Obama, show us how much intelligence you have.

This happened three years ago.

The charges were dropped. The Lehigh Pub no longer exists.

Thank you President Obama for protecting our civil rights.

The bill sounds pretty reasonable for 8 people. Apparently the menu said that gratuities were included in the bill but the college types couldn't understand that concept. They were arrested for theft of services and it sounds like they are guilty.

There ya' go.

The voice of reason as it pertains to this event.

Restaurants often impose this policy in their establishment because the wait-staff get tired of dealing with gaggles of people all sitting at a table where they pool the check, but each person contributes only the cost of what they bought but each hopes (or doesn't care) if the waitperson got tipped.

So instead of allowing that sort of crap to happen they automatically impose an extra charge and frankly, I cannot blame them one bit.

And as long as that policy is made clear to the public, I see nothing wrong with it.

who the hell goes out with that many people to begin with?

i love the receipts with the suggested tips it was ....10% 15% 20%

now its like 15, 20, 25 %

I've asked for and been granted a waiver of the 18% automatic tip by servers. I just tell them if the food and service is good they'll get more. It's never happened yet, but if either or both weren't satisfactory I'd likely revert to the 18% and scratch the place from future dining plans.

This is what happens when you have a communist like obozo in the WH. You have no rights and the state controls everything.

Couple arrested over 'theft' for refusing to tip in restaurant - Telegraph

5:47PM GMT 23 Nov 2009
Leslie Pope and John Wagner were handcuffed and hauled away after they failed to leave a restaurant's mandatory 18 per cent gratuity - totalling $16 (£10) - for their party of eight.

"Nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," said Miss Pope, 22.

The couple, students at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, had joined six friends at the town's Lehigh Pub for dinner. They claimed they had to wait almost an hour for their meal to arrive and Miss Pope said the service was so shoddy they had to get their own cutlery and napkins.

The group said they had to repeatedly ask for drink refills while their waitress smoked outside the pub.

At the end of the meal of salad and chicken wings, they were presented with a $73.87 bill. A $16.35 tip had been added as there was eight people in the party
As a person that's been a waiter and has had to wait on college students

FUCK THEM

I'll bet my bottom dollar they are a bunch of lying bitches.

Evidence #1; They got their own silverware and napkins

It's not possible for a customer to do so, w/o going into non-public areas.

I've been there, so I know they are full of shit

To me if what you ask for is good enough when you finally get it, give your tip to the cook and give a dirty look to your waitress/waiter for their rude and careless attitude as well as a piece of your mind if they tick you off enough. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

As most of you all know I am far from an Obama supporter but i believe most places to eat if your bill has so many people you are required to pay a 15 percent tip... It is nothing new

As most of you all know I am far from an Obama supporter but i believe most places to eat if your bill has so many people you are required to pay a 15 percent tip... It is nothing new
^So stupid she thinks this issue has something to do with Obama.

If it states on the menu that a gratuity will be charged, the gratuity is part of the bill and must be paid. If you don't like the service at that point, you complain to the management. If the service is sooo bad, you go to the restaurant manager and ask for your table to be changed to a more accommodating station where you can feel better about leaving your tip.

You know, my dad had a policy about that sort of shit...

You see, my dad was a generous guy. Friendly. He always took the time to remeber the name of his waiter or waitress, made a point to use their names during the course of the evening. Joked with them, got to know them a little. And he would always tip well, sometimes better than 30% if he had had a good time, I don't think I ever saw him tip less than 20%.. But there was always one thing he resented, it was that notice that a particular percentage of your bill would be automatically added if you had a party of a particular size or larger. What if the food sucked? What if the service sucked? He believed tipping was based on the quality of the food and service, not the size of your party...

So, his solution? If you want to limit yourself to 18%, if you want to force me to pay 18%, fine, but that's all you'll get. Those were the only times he tipped less than 20% or better.

Unfortunately, tip isn't "something extra" you give your server anymore. Restaurants get to pay staff less than min. wage by including tip as part of their salary, and waitresses typically have to share tips with cook staff, and bus boys.
Then they'd better provide good service.

Well, when I was a waiter, Reagan deicided I needed to pay 15% on my sales for my tips, whether I got one or not, that is unfair also.

I thought it was 8%, so you got taxed based on an 8% tip, in an industry where 15%- 20% is the norm.

So, if the total receipts were 1000, the waiter or waitress paid taxes on $80 plus her daily wage of $72. When in reality he/she made $72, plus $150-$200. If you can't average 8% tip, you are probably a lousy server and need to find other employment.

What does Obama have to do with the issue?

This happened three years ago.

The charges were dropped. The Lehigh Pub no longer exists.

Thank you President Obama for protecting our civil rights.

^So stupid she thinks this issue has something to do with Obama.

Forum List

Back