Pennsylvania couple handcuffed & arrested for theft for not leaving tip

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is what happens when you have a communist like obozo in the WH. You have no rights and the state controls everything.

Couple arrested over 'theft' for refusing to tip in restaurant - Telegraph

5:47PM GMT 23 Nov 2009
Leslie Pope and John Wagner were handcuffed and hauled away after they failed to leave a restaurant's mandatory 18 per cent gratuity - totalling $16 (£10) - for their party of eight.

"Nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," said Miss Pope, 22.

The couple, students at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, had joined six friends at the town's Lehigh Pub for dinner. They claimed they had to wait almost an hour for their meal to arrive and Miss Pope said the service was so shoddy they had to get their own cutlery and napkins.

The group said they had to repeatedly ask for drink refills while their waitress smoked outside the pub.

At the end of the meal of salad and chicken wings, they were presented with a $73.87 bill. A $16.35 tip had been added as there was eight people in the party

The bill sounds pretty reasonable for 8 people. Apparently the menu said that gratuities were included in the bill but the college types couldn't understand that concept. They were arrested for theft of services and it sounds like they are guilty.

8 People. That trips up people a lot of times.

I made the mistake of not leaving a tip in a Korean Restaurant in Virginia once, and only once! That woman followed me out to the parking lot to get her tip! :D

The bill sounds pretty reasonable for 8 people. Apparently the menu said that gratuities were included in the bill but the college types couldn't understand that concept. They were arrested for theft of services and it sounds like they are guilty.
It seems to me to be a perversion of tradition not only to include the supposed "gratuity" in the bill but to enforce the policy even when very reason for a gratuity (appreciable service) is not forthcoming. Unless there are extenuating circumstances we are not informed of here, such as obnoxious customer behavior, I'd say that restaurant deserves some really bad publicity.

So the entertainment editor of the local paper needs to do some checking and reporting on that place.

You know, my dad had a policy about that sort of shit...

You see, my dad was a generous guy. Friendly. He always took the time to remeber the name of his waiter or waitress, made a point to use their names during the course of the evening. Joked with them, got to know them a little. And he would always tip well, sometimes better than 30% if he had had a good time, I don't think I ever saw him tip less than 20%.. But there was always one thing he resented, it was that notice that a particular percentage of your bill would be automatically added if you had a party of a particular size or larger. What if the food sucked? What if the service sucked? He believed tipping was based on the quality of the food and service, not the size of your party...

So, his solution? If you want to limit yourself to 18%, if you want to force me to pay 18%, fine, but that's all you'll get. Those were the only times he tipped less than 20% or better.

You see, my dad was a generous guy. Friendly. He always took the time to remeber the name of his waiter or waitress, made a point to use their names during the course of the evening. Joked with them, got to know them a little. And he would always tip well, sometimes better than 30% if he had had a good time, I don't think I ever saw him tip less than 20%.. But there was always one thing he resented, it was that notice that a particular percentage of your bill would be automatically added if you had a party of a particular size or larger. What if the food sucked? What if the service sucked? He believed tipping was based on the quality of the food and service, not the size of your party...

So, his solution? If you want to limit yourself to 18%, if you want to force me to pay 18%, fine, but that's all you'll get. Those were the only times he tipped less than 20% or better.

Unfortunately, tip isn't "something extra" you give your server anymore. Restaurants get to pay staff less than min. wage by including tip as part of their salary, and waitresses typically have to share tips with cook staff, and bus boys.

Thanks to Reagan, waitperson have to pay 15% of their sales to taxes. Whether they get a tip or not. The mandatory tip is for large parties. If youhave a bitch tell the rest.
It is not the governments fault that mandatory gratuity is printed upon the menus.
So tell the OP his BS about communism is no where near close to gratuity.

Last edited:
i think it's disgusting to have a mandatory gratuity. you cant demand a gift for crappy service.

Unfortunately, tip isn't "something extra" you give your server anymore. Restaurants get to pay staff less than min. wage by including tip as part of their salary, and waitresses typically have to share tips with cook staff, and bus boys.

it's always been that way, and they usually only share with bus boys and bar staff-not the cooks

Well, when I was a waiter, Reagan deicided I needed to pay 15% on my sales for my tips, whether I got one or not, that is unfair also.

The bill sounds pretty reasonable for 8 people. Apparently the menu said that gratuities were included in the bill but the college types couldn't understand that concept. .

Oh i see. The restaurant says you have to pay and so you pay or the state locks you up!!

The bill sounds pretty reasonable for 8 people. Apparently the menu said that gratuities were included in the bill but the college types couldn't understand that concept. .

Oh i see. The restaurant says you have to pay and so you pay or the state locks you up!!

yeah, the damn communists made stealing against the law.

go figure

asshat

I made the mistake of not leaving a tip in a Korean Restaurant in Virginia once, and only once! That woman followed me out to the parking lot to get her tip! :D

Korean restaurant??. We don't allow dog-eaters in this forum.

We really need a law to do away with tips and bring back customer service for everyone. Generally going to a restaurant in Japan is much more expensive than here, but when you don't have to add a tip to everything, it's nice and reasonable. The service was great there too, better than in many places here.

I too, object to the automatic 18% gratuity, unfortunately as so many patrons put up with it, the restaurants will continue to consider it their due.

yeah, the damn communists made stealing against the law.

go figure

asshat

They could have told the restaurant "no" and gone somewhere else. If the service were that bad, I would have asked to speak to the manager.

Forum List

Back