Penis prank gains world honour

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
A former Christchurch student who set his penis aflame in order to win a $1000 pub promotion has been awarded a dubious world honour.

Nearly seven years on, Thomas Hendry's bizarre feat has gained a special mention in the Darwin Awards – recognising those who have improved the human gene pool by leaving it.

To qualify for the cult-status United States awards, nominees must have lost their reproductive capacity by killing or sterilising themselves.

Hendry stopped short of the ultimate sacrifice, but features in the latest book on the awards for illustrating the innovative spirit of candidates.

"I'm tickled pink, actually," said Hendry, now 29 and running a gothic nightclub in central Melbourne.

"I am still genuinely surprised at the stir it did create. I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time."

In 1999, as a cash-strapped, 23-year-old computer trainee, Hendry came up with a zany idea to outdo his rivals at the How Far Will You Go? promotion at Trader McKendry's Tavern in central Christchurch.

He stapled his penis to a crucifix, poured cigarette lighter fluid over it, and set it ablaze before a stunned crowd, including his mother.

Hendry won $500 cash, an equivalent bar tab and worldwide infamy.

He went to a free students' medical centre the next day and had his burnt and bruised member dressed.

The macabre act made headlines in The Press, the police stepped in and the pub lost its licence for a week over Christmas.

Television New Zealand was hauled before the Broadcasting Standards Authority after the Mikey Havoc show screened a rerun of the event.

Hendry spent the prize money on his car, registering his bloodhound cross, Puss, and a one- way ticket to Australia.

Speaking from Melbourne, where he now lives with Puss, Hendry's only regret was that he did not get live footage of his winning act or even decent photographs.

He had been inspired by an earlier contestant who pierced his penis foreskin with a safety pin.

"I thought I could do better than that."

Fortifying himself with a bottle of wine, Hendry took a white pine crucifix and, with an industrial stapler, pumped 18 staples into his scrotum and foreskin.

Hendry earned a total $2600 for his efforts, including royalties from the re-enactment and photos.

But was the notoriety worth the pain?

"Absolutely. It's a fun story to have up your sleeve," Hendry said.

"I usually keep quiet about it at work when I've got a new job. But eventually something leaks out or I might let slip to someone, accidentally on purpose, just for fun.

"It's not something I have dropped into any dinner conversations with girlfriends' parents or anything like that. You have to pick your moment for sure."

As for the wooden crucifix used in his act, it is still getting him into strife.

On a visit to Christchurch last April he retrieved it from his mother's wardrobe. But on his return trip Melbourne custom officers found traces of borer and refused to let the crucifix into the country.

"It cost me $A30 ($NZ33) to fumigate it and then they released it a month later and now it is sitting in my lounge on the sideboard.

"I'll chuck it up on (internet auction site) eBay one day."

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3578626a4560,00.html

Now imagine if, instead of stapling his dick to a cross, he would have stapled it to a picture of Mohammed, or a crescent? There'd be another three months worth of riots! But of course, it's OK to staple your schlong to a crucifix, it's not important to anyone. :rolleyes:

gop_jeff said:
Now imagine if, instead of stapling his dick to a cross, he would have stapled it to a picture of Mohammed, or a crescent? There'd be another three months worth of riots! But of course, it's OK to staple your schlong to a crucifix, it's not important to anyone. :rolleyes:

I think I know what it is.... those "Moslems" that rioted in the streets couldn't give a rat's patooty about Islam, they just wanted a chance to burn, kill and cause mayhem!!!!

It must be all that Western culture, you know, video games, and violent TV shows that do it. It couldn't be explained by our fallen natures, could it? No, after all, human nature is GOOD! That's what liberals want us to think, people when given a choice will do good, we are good by nature and that phenomena e.g the Holocaust and Moslem rioting are just aberrations, when in fact, when people allow their natures to dictate their actions, will do one of two things, anything to survive and anything that feels good.

Abbey Normal said:
Is depravity on the rise, or are depraved people just less ashamed of it?
I think it's more like, some people are just too dumb (or drunk or stoned) to be embarrassed. And the fact that he did it in front of a crowd AND HIS MOTHER, no less, proves that this guy's IQ can be expressed as a fraction.

P.S. and don't let the fact that the guy works with computers for a living fool you. He's still as dumb as a brick. I have long since realized that, if one craves to work around people with personality disorders, lack of social skills and are, in general, obnoxious and hard to get along with, then he either ought to be a psychiatrist or choose a profession that has something to do with computers.

I'd recommend the first profession over the second, though. At least psychiatrists can medicate the worst of the people they work with, In the computer industry, they usually become your boss or manage to dictate policy of some sort.

Bill_Gates.jpg

this guy proves my point!!!!

dilloduck said:
I think the media is just willing to "share" more of it because it sells.

I would have to agree with that, but I also think there is an increasing element of what I refer to as "that which was once shameful is now flaunted". Think of teenaged pregnancy, for example.

Prank? A penis prank is "Ahaha, I put my dick in your ear while you were asleep and took a picture of it". Stapling or nailing or crucifying one's penis is not a prank. It's something ..... other than.

rtwngAvngr said:
Prank? A penis prank is "Ahaha, I put my dick in your ear while you were asleep and took a picture of it". Stapling or nailing or crucifying one's penis is not a prank. It's something ..... other than.
Yes and let me tell you what it is.... it's called "mentally ill".... the guy ought to be wearing a straitjacket and living in a padded cell somewhere so that he doesn't A) Hurt himself again and B) Hurt someone else....

rtwngAvngr said:
'

Do I want to know why you would even think of the putting it in an ear? :wtf:

Seriously though this man is stupid. Glad my parents taught me self respect.

Forum List

Back