Penance is not Biblical/true

ninja007

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Living rent free in libs heads
THE SACRAMENT OF PENANCE.

By this sacrament, sins committed after baptism are forgiven through absolution by the priest in the confessional. Nowhere in the Bible are we given any indication that we must confess our sins to a priest. Rather, the Scriptures are abundantly clear that we may go directly to Jesus for the forgiveness of our sins: “If any one sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, the Just, and He is the propitiation (atoning sacrifice) for our sins …” (1 John 2:1-2). “If we acknowledge our sins, He (Jesus) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all iniquity” (1 John 1:9). “Having been justified therefore by faith, let us have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Rom. 5:1). [See also Rom. 4:5,6; Galatians 3:11; 2Tim. 1:9; Titus 3:5; Luke 17:10; 1Cor. 15:10; 2Cor. 3:5; John 3:16; Acts 13:39; Galatians 2:16; Philippians 3:9].

With such an abundance of Scriptures, teaching that we are justified by faith in Jesus Christ alone, the R.C.C. still opposes the clear teaching of Scripture by stating:

“If any one says that by faith alone the sinner is justified, … let him be accursed.”(6) “If any one says that men are justified, either by sole imputation of the justice of Christ or by the sole remission of sins … or even that the grace, whereby we are justified, is solely the favour of God; let him be accursed.”(7) As we have seen, the Bible clearly refutes the idea that we must go to a confessional and to a priest to have our sins forgiven. If the Bible does not teach it, where does it then originate from? According to E. Salverte, during the Babylonian system of Baal worship, “… secret confession to a priest, according to a prescribed form, was required of all who were admitted to the ‘mysteries;’ and till such confession had been made, no complete initiation could take place”(8) “For the safety therefore, of those who were to be initiated in the Babylonian mysteries, it was held to be indispensable that the officiating priest should thoroughly probe their consciences, lest coming without due purgation (cleansing) from previous guilt contracted, the wrath of the gods should be provoked against the profane intruders.”(9)
In the same way, in the Church of Rome, there can be no admission to the sacraments without confession to the priest. The confessional is nowhere to be found in the Scriptures, but, as we have seen, this idea is exactly found in ancient Babylon where they worshipped the sun-god “Baal” and the confessional was part of their occult religious system. The Bible does say we must confess our faults (i.e. the things we do wrong against each other - not our private sins) “one to another” (James 5:16), but Roman Catholicism commands all to confess not only their faults, but even their private sins to a priest, whether they have transgressed against him or not, while the priest is under no obligation to confess to the members. This is unscriptural!

http://www.uwitness.net/religion-art...atholic-church

It is plain to see the Bible does not say anything about confessing your sins to a Priest- only one another, meaning the person you wronged. Did you wrong the Priest personally? You can confess the sins to the person directly- the person you offended. And if you cannot do that then you confess it to Jesus, our only Mediator. who CAN forgive your sins. You cannot just make a sacrament up out of thin air based on misapplied cherry picked bible verses.

your problem is that you presume all God has ever or will ever say is found in the Bible. Catholics dont believe in that.

ninja there is something in the Bible saying that Christians should confess their sins to one another. I'm sure you know that.

ninja there is something in the Bible saying that Christians should confess their sins to one another. I'm sure you know that.

I think it is in Timothy, maybe Ephesians, but probably the former. Regardless, if the church makes itself available to hear confession, then it is a service based on scripture. It is so recognized that we have clergy privilege in law but of you confess to anyone other than them, your spouse, or your attorney, it is fair game.

Where I disagree with many is that the Bible also requires Good Works, but so few outside the RCC agree with that.

Most people believe good works are necessary, even if their pastor says that's not true. It's just a common sense notion that Mother Theresa ends up in a better place than Adolph Hitler.

Most people believe good works are necessary, even if their pastor says that's not true. It's just a common sense notion that Mother Theresa ends up in a better place than Adolph Hitler.

depends on your interpretation I suppose. The Witnesses are big in that everybody will get a shot at heaven, even Hitler, during the 1,000 years after the return of Jesus. I have an argument with Baptists over the good works thing somewhat regularly. The ones in my area definitely reject that idea.

I think it is in Timothy, maybe Ephesians, but probably the former. Regardless, if the church makes itself available to hear confession, then it is a service based on scripture. It is so recognized that we have clergy privilege in law but of you confess to anyone other than them, your spouse, or your attorney, it is fair game.

Where I disagree with many is that the Bible also requires Good Works, but so few outside the RCC agree with that.

yes, I know that but not to a Priest. Jesus is our High Priest and ALL BELIEVER'S ARE PRIESTS.

NO IT DOESN'T. Works don't save you- Jesus does.

Forum List

Back