Pelosi Shrugs off Alcatraz as Possible Terror Detention Facility

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday shrugged off Republican suggestions that the federal government reopen Alcatraz prison in her San Francisco district to house detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

President Obama this week signed an executive order calling for the closure of the prison at Guantanamo within the year. Republican Rep. Bill Young then suggested to White House counsel Greg Craig that the prisoners who could not be released back to their home countries or sent to a third country be put up in "the Rock," the famous military installation and prison that closed down in 1963 and is now part of the National Park Service.

Asked whether that was a serious proposal, Pelosi said, "It is -- not.

Pelosi Shrugs off Alcatraz as Possible Terror Detention Facility - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

It seems to me that Alcatraz would be one of the perfect places for them. Isolated by water, logistics are good with air, shipping, rail and highways available and it is sitting basically unused. The main structures are there for the proper purpose and the detainees can do the work on the needed improvements. That way we are putting minorities and the poor to work.

Pelosi should embrance the idea, as they could put more minotities and poor to work there as staff. In fact, to help the nation, they can relocate so many minotites and poor from each state to staff the island with.

the concrete buildings are crumbling.....salt air and rust....the whoel place would need to be torn down and re built.....

I think it's a fine idea, in fact, I sugested it the other day to some people I know as fitting, seeing as it's safe and in SF bay.
yeah, it actually would be a good place
but how much would it cost to reopen the place?

One of the reasons it closed--was because it was too expensive to operate. Fitting though. I went on tour there, it was designed for 200-300 prisoners. The bay there does cause the concrete to weaken.

The next proposal was Super Max in my state of Colorado. Gov. Ritter is on board but our state legislature is having a fit about it.

The problem being. It's easy to keep these terrorists locked up, the problem is keeping them "safe". Going to a prison with other American prisoners-who would be more than willing to attack these terrorists at every opportunity. Therefore, most prisons do not want anything to do with these people.

don't you have one terrorist there? Aren't the cells underground? I believe I read that he is isolated 24/7 and only gets to see daylignt a couple of times a week. They don't know how good they have it at Quantanamo. The liberal screamers are fixin to move them from Paradise to Hell. :eusa_shhh:

the concrete buildings are crumbling.....salt air and rust....the whoel place would need to be torn down and re built.....

There's that. But there's also the issue that such detention would be missing the point of closing Gitmo, which is the restoration of habeas corpus and shutting down an American Gulag.

They're going to have to be charged and tried no matter where they're housed.

yeah, it actually would be a good place
but how much would it cost to reopen the place?

One of the reasons it closed--was because it was too expensive to operate. Fitting though. I went on tour there, it was designed for 200-300 prisoners. The bay there does cause the concrete to weaken.

The next proposal was Super Max in my state of Colorado. Gov. Ritter is on board but our state legislature is having a fit about it.

The problem being. It's easy to keep these terrorists locked up, the problem is keeping them "safe". Going to a prison with other American prisoners-who would be more than willing to attack these terrorists at every opportunity. Therefore, most prisons do not want anything to do with these people.

don't you have one terrorist there? Aren't the cells underground? I believe I read that he is isolated 24/7 and only gets to see daylignt a couple of times a week. They don't know how good they have it at Quantanamo. The liberal screamers are fixin to move them from Paradise to Hell. :eusa_shhh:

I think Mr. Shoe Bomber is there but I'm not sure---and you're correct. Gitmo is Hawaii compared to Super Max.

There's that. But there's also the issue that such detention would be missing the point of closing Gitmo, which is the restoration of habeas corpus and shutting down an American Gulag.

OH PALEEZE
Gitmo is nothing of the sort

I really doubt that any "dumocrat" politician is going to want to harbor any of the Gitmo prisoners in their states. When Obama signed that executive order, it was like jumping off a bridge before you looked to see if any water was below. Unfortunatley, Obama is being pushed to the far left whether he wants to, or not.

I agree, that we are missing the real issue here. The reason why Guantanamo is unfavorable is because of the abuse that is going on in there. No one knows what is going on at Guantanamo Bay. People were detained there for years without any formal charges made against them. Even if they are not US citizens, the way we treat other people reflect the kind of people we are ourselves. What is to stop the government from doing the same thing to any of us? To any unpopular groups in the US in the future, to deny habeas corpus or some other fundamental right, just because we feel like it and because we can? Though yes, it is not a good idea to close down Gitmo before we decide what to do with the remaining detainees.

just heard a report that they can't do anything with several chinese detaines....can't send em to china can't release em into american society and no where to jail them....

The US put itself in a bad situation. But I think the best way is to take it one step at a time. Some countries are actually willing to take some of the detainees with the promise that they will not be dangerous.

They can't be tried. The judges would throw each case out. Obama either has to keep Gitmo open, let them go, or shoot them.

They can't be tried. The judges would throw each case out. Obama either has to keep Gitmo open, let them go, or shoot them.

He has to close Gitmo. It's become a symbol to the rest of the world of an American Gulag. And yes, I'd agree that probably because of the way they were kept, the way information was obtained and the way the entire issue was mishadled by the last admin, that they won't be convicted. But that doesn't give us the right to conduct ourselves this way. And yes, the massive failure on this issue will probably result in continued surveillace of these people (which is as it should be if we think they are dangerous). After that, I would assume they will be dealt with as appropriate.

He has to close Gitmo. It's become a symbol to the rest of the world of an American Gulag. And yes, I'd agree that probably because of the way they were kept, the way information was obtained and the way the entire issue was mishadled by the last admin, that they won't be convicted. But that doesn't give us the right to conduct ourselves this way. And yes, the massive failure on this issue will probably result in continued surveillace of these people (which is as it should be if we think they are dangerous). After that, I would assume they will be dealt with as appropriate.

Too many fail to see this, and this is the one reason I can't stand having warmongers in our country. To them it's the lame excuse of "well the enemy does it to" ... so they want us to be just like those they are punishing.

What we should do is revamp Gitmo really, just shutting it down won't work out to well, but changing how it is operated could redeem us in time.

They closed Alcatraz in the first place because it wasn't a good prison.

It cost too much to run, it didn't hold enough prisoners, and turning it back into a prison would cost billions and billions of dollars that could be better spend locating a brand new, much more efficient prison some other place.

Too many fail to see this, and this is the one reason I can't stand having warmongers in our country. To them it's the lame excuse of "well the enemy does it to" ... so they want us to be just like those they are punishing.

You're right. People forget that we are actually exposing our own rights as US citizens when we decide it's okay to torture the detainees.

An interesting idea is the creation of truth commissions for Guantanamo. Most commissions, I believe, are created to investigate wrongdoing. However, there is a proposal to create one that "focuses on and gathers the stories of the survivors . . . [those] who were imprisoned, inhumanly treated, sensory-deprived and tortured" in Guantanamo. The author also proposes that the commission interview habeas lawyers, guards, and soldiers who interacted with the detainees. The ultimate goal is to reveal the truth of what has happened, as well as chronicle the stories so that we do not forget. I think this is a great idea. The full article can be found at the Huffington Post website.

The author also has written a book called "Our Nation Unhinged: The Human Consequences of the War on Terror" that tells the stories of the individual detainees, such as Jose Padilla, Omar Khadr, John Walker Lindh. Padilla and Lindh are American citizens and Khadr a Canadian citizen. Even so, they were similarly treated badly and tortured.

How many of you have actually visited Alcatraz? I visited it some years ago, when I was in San Francisco. Very interesting tour.

One thing I learned is that the place is physically deteriorating, partly from the salt water that keeps getting sprayed from the waves. It is unsafe in places. There is no way they could house prisoners of any kind and assure the safety of anybody, including the staff (or the prisoners).
Very true. It's a pretty cool place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there.

That's kind of the point. A perfect place for the guests of gitmo....

They closed Alcatraz in the first place because it wasn't a good prison.

It cost too much to run, it didn't hold enough prisoners, and turning it back into a prison would cost billions and billions of dollars that could be better spend locating a brand new, much more efficient prison some other place.

We already have a great prison for these sub-humans....

....Gitmo.....

They will STILL be there this time next year, executive order or no.

You're right. People forget that we are actually exposing our own rights as US citizens when we decide it's okay to torture the detainees.

An interesting idea is the creation of truth commissions for Guantanamo. Most commissions, I believe, are created to investigate wrongdoing. However, there is a proposal to create one that "focuses on and gathers the stories of the survivors . . . [those] who were imprisoned, inhumanly treated, sensory-deprived and tortured" in Guantanamo. The author also proposes that the commission interview habeas lawyers, guards, and soldiers who interacted with the detainees. The ultimate goal is to reveal the truth of what has happened, as well as chronicle the stories so that we do not forget. I think this is a great idea. The full article can be found at the Huffington Post website.

The author also has written a book called "Our Nation Unhinged: The Human Consequences of the War on Terror" that tells the stories of the individual detainees, such as Jose Padilla, Omar Khadr, John Walker Lindh. Padilla and Lindh are American citizens and Khadr a Canadian citizen. Even so, they were similarly treated badly and tortured.

Most Americans would prefer they just be shot, a concrete weight attached and thrown in the ocean....

Forum List

Back