Pelosi is firing back at CBS for outing her on the insider trading

P
elosi and her husband participated in an initial public offering of Visa in 2008, according to CBS. They bought 5,000 shares at the initial price of $44; two days later, shares were trading at $64, CBS said.

Martha Stewart went to prison for doing this.

Yeah--and she paid a hefty fine too. Not for insider trading but for lying to a grand jury about insider trading--now our freaking senators and congress people don't have to follow the same laws we do--that is complete HORSESHIT.

And we wonder what's wrong with this country?

P
elosi and her husband participated in an initial public offering of Visa in 2008, according to CBS. They bought 5,000 shares at the initial price of $44; two days later, shares were trading at $64, CBS said.

Martha Stewart went to prison for doing this.

Yeah--and she paid a hefty fine too. Not for insider trading but for lying to a grand jury about insider trading--now our freaking senators and congress people don't have to follow the same laws we do--that is complete HORSESHIT.

And we wonder what's wrong with this country?
No kidding. Last time I checked they are no different than any other citizen. Prosecute all that participated.

'60 Minutes' Hit On Boehner, Pelosi Falls Short

By Ryan Grim

Similarly, the knock on Pelosi (D-Calif.) leaves out critical details. "60 Minutes" charges Pelosi with purchasing 5,000 shares of Visa stock as part of an exclusive initial public offering and implies that her financial connection to the credit card industry had something to do with the halting of credit card industry reform.

"Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her husband have participated in at least eight IPOs. One of those came in 2008, from Visa, just as a troublesome piece of legislation that would have hurt credit card companies began making its way through the House. Undisturbed by a potential conflict of interest, the Pelosis purchased 5,000 shares of Visa at the initial price of 44 dollars. Two days later it was trading at $64. The credit card legislation never made it to the floor of the House," CBS reports.

But CBS leaves out that fact that the bill passed out of committee at the very end of the legislative session, as Congress was dealing with the Wall Street implosion and bailout, and that the chamber then adjourned until the election. More importantly, Democrats didn't have the votes for it in the Senate and the notion that President Bush would have signed it if they did is far-fetched.

CBS goes on to report: "Congresswoman Pelosi pointed out that the tough credit card legislation eventually passed, but it was two years later and was initiated in the Senate."

The implication is, apparently, that the Senate forced Pelosi's hand. Throughout 2009 and 2010, the House consistently passed stronger and more progressive legislation than the Senate, but in the scenario laid down by CBS, it was the other way around when it came to credit card reform. But in 2008, before the stock transaction, the House had already passed the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights over the objections of industry lobbyists.

"Tonight's report failed to note that the legislation in question in this story was reported out of the Judiciary Committee on October 3, 2008 -- the day the House was consumed in passing TARP and also the last day the House was in session before the November election," Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said. "It failed to note than in September 2008, the House passed the Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights. In the next Congress, the House and Senate passed and President Obama signed the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights and the Dodd-Frank legislation, which included a stronger, more direct approach to addressing swipe fees."

Pelosi's office also noted that there was no preferential treatment. Her husband purchased the shares, participating in the largest IPO in history, which raised $17.9 billion. He continued to buy shares on the open market as the price continued to rise.

More: '60 Minutes' Hit On Boehner, Pelosi Falls Short

So, I guess what most of you are saying is that there ought to be MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION in this area of the markets and those who participate in it.

Now you're catching on.

Considering he's a RW author, it's surprising they're not 100% Dems. I'm sick to death of the media crucifying people. Where are the courts, not the hype. Bring back the Fairness Doctrine and real journalism.

Fairness doctrine? You want to silence the media? You scared that you cant control the current messages?

Real journalism will exist they stop spining and simply tell the truth.

And actually it is the media's job to expose politicians. How else are the courts supposed to actually try the people in power in the people dont realie the abuses going on and get them out of power to try them?

No, I want to silence lying RW propagandists who have ruined the country and turned your brain into mush.

Unfortunately, they fuqed up this story, and Hastert may be forgotten in THAT hype run story. NOT real journalism...

Why no mention of John "Boner" Boehner...?

From the first fucking post in the thread...
Everyone involved should go to jail. I dont care if they are Rep or Dem
covers Boehner.

From the 5th fucking post in the thread...
Every single one whom participated.
also covers Boehner

7th post...
CBS was very even handed on the subject and smacked everyone... and deservedly so.
also covers Boehner

10th post...
The report I saw went after both parties.
also covers Boehner

stop whining, Shitting Bull.

Why no mention of John "Boner" Boehner...?

From the first fucking post in the thread...
Everyone involved should go to jail. I dont care if they are Rep or Dem
covers Boehner.

From the 5th fucking post in the thread...

also covers Boehner

7th post...
CBS was very even handed on the subject and smacked everyone... and deservedly so.
also covers Boehner

10th post...
The report I saw went after both parties.
also covers Boehner

stop whining, Shitting Bull.
Dead on.

Why no mention of Eric Cantor on 60 Minutes?
Really dude!!! We all said on here we think anyone involved should be prosecuted. We do not know why 60 minutes did not say all involved. Maybe because no one would talk. Did you watch the interview???
Plus 60 minutes/ CBS is a big Left wing media . Go ask CBS why they did not include everyone involved. My suspections are that its probably most in congress and senate actually is involved one way or another. Why is most milllionaires after they serve in congress mostly on stocks :eusa_whistle: probably been going on for years and just now being brought to light:razz:

Forum List

Back