Pelosi Demands Private Jet For Travel

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Dems run on reducing Congressional perks?

Let her have the biggest plane available, she just has to accomodate any Middle Eastener wanting to fly across country when she uses it. Without the sceening!

Speaker pursues military flights
By Rowan Scarborough
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
February 1, 2007

The office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is pressing the Bush administration for routine access to military aircraft for domestic flights, such as trips back to her San Francisco district, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
The sources, who include those in Congress and in the administration, said the Democrat is seeking regular military flights not only for herself and her staff, but also for relatives and for other members of the California delegation. A knowledgeable source called the request "carte blanche for an aircraft any time."
"They are pressing the point of her succession and that the [Department of Defense] needs to play ball with the speaker's needs," one source said. The request originally went to the Pentagon, which then asked the White House to weigh in.
Mrs. Pelosi's request is not new for a speaker, who is second-in-line in presidential succession. A defense source said the speaker's regular access to a military plane began after the September 11, 2001, attacks. Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, Illinois Republican, who was speaker at the time, started using U.S. Air Force planes for domestic travel to and from his district for security reasons. A former Hastert aide said the congressman did not use military planes for political trips or regularly transport his family.
The defense source said Mr. Hastert requested a plane with good communications so he could conduct legislative business. The military flights increased to the point the speaker used a military plane for many, if not all, flights to his Illinois district, the former aide said.
Sources said Mrs. Pelosi's request goes beyond what Mr. Hastert received. The speaker's legal counsel is spearheading the talks.
An aide to Mrs. Pelosi, who asked not to be named, confirmed yesterday that discussions are ongoing with the administration. "It would be done for security reasons," said the aide, adding that the speaker has used military aircraft for at least one trip back to San Francisco.
The aide asserted that the administration was using a Washington Times reporter, in effect, to negotiate with the speaker's office by leaking information about Mrs. Pelosi's request. Asked if the speaker was seeking increased access to military planes, the aide took the question, but did not call back.
A Pentagon spokesman referred questions to Mrs. Pelosi's office. A White House spokeswoman said last night she had no information on the request.
The rules for congressional travel on military aircraft are contained in Defense Department Directive 4515.12.
Congressional access to military passenger jets is generally restricted to official trips abroad, or for domestic flights to military bases or events to which the Pentagon invited the lawmaker. Al Qaeda attacks on the U.S. changed the procedure in the case of the speaker.
U.S. Air Force travel for VIPs such as members of Congress is first-rate. The planes are staffed with stewards who serve meals and tend an open bar. Communications suites allow members to conduct business while traveling.
Such flights are one of Congress' cherished perquisites, providing lawmakers a chance to visit foreign lands at government expense. Official duties are often mixed with sightseeing and fine dining.
But trips to war zones are not junkets. Since the September 11 attacks, the Air Force has flown hundreds of congressional delegations, or "co-dels," to various war theaters. Mrs. Pelosi just completed a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan and Iraq.
Upon her return, she repeated her demand that President Bush not send more troops to Iraq.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070201-122225-1157r.htm

the speaker's regular access to a military plane began after the September 11, 2001, attacks. Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, Illinois Republican, who was speaker at the time, started using U.S. Air Force planes for domestic travel to and from his district for security reasons

Sauce for the Goose anyone?:rolleyes:

Sauce for the Goose anyone?:rolleyes:

The Air Force later determined it was a mistake, and such flights were not repeated.

she wants a plane that can carry an entourage just like President Bush, who flies on Air Force One, and Vice President Dick Cheney, who also always flies on military planes.

Her arrogrance has oozed to the surface and libs are having a cow over it being talked about

I am curious...how does Condi travel? Pelosi is two heartbeats away from the presidency.... condi is a few more.

I am curious...how does Condi travel? Pelosi is two heartbeats away from the presidency.... condi is a few more.

Pelosi is to good to have to use the jest Hassert used. She would have to stop and refuel, and being a lib, trhat is beneath her

Pelosi is to good to have to use the jest Hassert used. She would have to stop and refuel, and being a lib, trhat is beneath her

Rice travels worlwide across places that are hostile to the US and can't land there to refuel. Peolsi... well, wait, she does have to fly across the big red zone that is hostile to her. :rofl:

Newsmax just reported she wants a bedroom in her plane, too. Perhaps to entertain George Soros.
puke.gif

"Newsmax just reported she wants a bedroom in her plane, too."

And we all know NEWSMAX is the beacon of TRUTH AND FACT. LOL!!!!!!!:eusa_boohoo:

Rice travels worlwide across places that are hostile to the US and can't land there to refuel. Peolsi... well, wait, she does have to fly across the big red zone that is hostile to her. :rofl:

Newsmax just reported she wants a bedroom in her plane, too. Perhaps to entertain George Soros.
puke.gif

seems to me Pelosi travels worldwide as well.

Is that Soros joke part of your cute standup routine you do every friday night at the conservative geek comedy club?

I asked how does Condi fly.... Condi who is #4 on the presidential succession list....

May not have been an answer to that, but still not flaming. Glock flamed earlier, he garnered an infraction and hasn't bitched. This was not flaming.

This does make a good case for just giving her a jet:

February 8, 2007

As the Sergeant at Arms, I have the responsibility to ensure the security of the members of the House of Representatives, to include the Speaker of the House. The Speaker requires additional precautions due to her responsibilities as the leader of the House and her Constitutional position as second in the line of succession to the presidency.

In a post 9/11 threat environment, it is reasonable and prudent to provide military aircraft to the Speaker for official travel between Washington and her district. The practice began with Speaker Hastert and I have recommended that it continue with Speaker Pelosi. The fact that Speaker Pelosi lives in California compelled me to request an aircraft that is capable of making non-stop flights for security purposes, unless such an aircraft is unavailable. This will ensure communications capabilities and also enhance security. I made the recommendation to use military aircraft based upon the need to provide necessary levels of security for ranking national leaders, such as the Speaker. I regret that an issue that is exclusively considered and decided in a security context has evolved into a political issue.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/012357.php

But NOT for the use of her friends and family. But here's a tip for Nan - if she wants to be viewed as a "professional" stop making offical calendars that "celebrate" hunting accidents:

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi sent out the Democrats' 2007 calendar this week, which includes the House vote schedule, holidays, commemorative days, the dates when key economic data is published, the anniversaries of key acts of Congress and other special events.

The e-mail from Pelosi's office reads, "Attached is a calendar for 2007 that has been prepared by Speaker Pelosi's office. It was originally e-mailed out to Democratic offices in mid-December, but we wanted to e-mail it out again to ensure that all offices had seen it. We hope this calendar helps Democratic offices to plan press events and other activities for their member throughout the year."

Included in the calendar is a Feb. 11 entry reminding House members of the anniversary of the day Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot fellow hunter Harry Whittington at the Armstrong Ranch.

The item reads simply, "Cheney hunting accident (2006)

http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/0,1641,CCCT_811_5328305,00.html

It's partisan AND juvenile, of course people are going to think twice before giving her a jet.

This does make a good case for just giving her a jet:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/012357.php

But NOT for the use of her friends and family. But here's a tip for Nan - if she wants to be viewed as a "professional" stop making offical calendars that "celebrate" hunting accidents:

http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/0,1641,CCCT_811_5328305,00.html

It's partisan AND juvenile, of course people are going to think twice before giving her a jet.

:clap2: :clap2:

May not have been an answer to that, but still not flaming. Glock flamed earlier, he garnered an infraction and hasn't bitched. This was not flaming.

I am curious: is the use of the word "flaming" by a member in situations where a hall monitor unilaterally deems that no flaming has occured in itself sufficient to garner an infraction?

I am curious: is the use of the word "flaming" by a member in situations where a hall monitor unilaterally deems that no flaming has occured in itself sufficient to garner an infraction?

Maybe. :rofl: :rofl:

Forum List

Back