Pelosi Comments of William Jefferson

Do I need to explain it to you? Have you never heard the saying " that is like the pot calling the kettle black" There is a difference though, Republicans when caught quit or don't run for reelection, the party doesn't protect them. The same can NOT be said of democrats.

*cough*newt gingrich*cough*

*cough*tom delay*cough*

That is funny considering the last coupole of R congresses never investigated ANYTHING!

All these investigations had to start from the outside because the congress under the R leadship investigated like three things under 3 congresses.

Talk about covering your own asses.

*cough*newt gingrich*cough*

*cough*tom delay*cough*

Tom Delay is still in office? Still in charge of the Repubs? Was he ever actually convicted of anything? Remind me again how many years and grand juries it took that democratic prosecutor to indict Delay and then why part of his charges were promptly thrown out by a Judge.

Gingrich was charge with a crime and tried in court? He remained in charge of the republicans and is still in office today?

Shall we start with Ted Kennedy and work our way forward on all the democrats that have broken the law and not only nothing done to them legally BUT no action in Congress taken against them AND they ran for reelection? And they ran with the full support and backing of the DNC.

oh looky..

strawman qualifiers that are about as stupid as pretending a covert aganet wasnt covert just because admitting such would be politically inconvenient.

make sure you resurface your punchline assumption after Newt stops sniffing at the perimeter...

Gingrich was first accused of unethical behavior when he accepted an advance as part of a book deal as well as numerous other counts. Eighty four ethics charges were filed against Speaker Gingrich during his term, including claiming tax-exempt status for a college course run for political purposes and using the GOPAC political action committee as a slush fund; see Joseph Gaylord. Gingrich retained former U.S. Representative Edwin Bethune of Arkansas, a Washington, D.C., lawyer and lobbyist, to represent him.

Following an investigation by the House Ethics Committee, Gingrich admitted that he had violated House rules and accepted the house committee's recommendation for punishment.[19] [20] Gingrich was sanctioned for $300,000[21] after the House Ethics Committee concluded that his use of tax-deductible money for political purposes and inaccurate information supplied to investigators represented "intentional or . . . reckless" disregard of House rules.[22] Special Counsel James M. Cole concluded that Gingrich violated federal tax law and had lied to the ethics panel in an effort to force the committee to dismiss the complaint against him.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich

Do I need to explain it to you? Have you never heard the saying " that is like the pot calling the kettle black" There is a difference though, Republicans when caught quit or don't run for reelection, the party doesn't protect them. The same can NOT be said of democrats.

I don’t see there being that much of a difference. It depends on the severity of the “crime” and to what degree the politician is liked. I remember when Republicans (then in power in congress) tried to change the ethics rules to be more lenient when Tom Delay was getting into trouble.

Republicans might be a tiny bit “cleaner” than Democrats, but it isn’t that big a difference. Each will, to the best of its ability without risking too much voter anger, try to protect its own.

Tom Delay is still in office? Still in charge of the Repubs? Was he ever actually convicted of anything? Remind me again how many years and grand juries it took that democratic prosecutor to indict Delay and then why part of his charges were promptly thrown out by a Judge.

Gingrich was charge with a crime and tried in court? He remained in charge of the republicans and is still in office today?

Shall we start with Ted Kennedy and work our way forward on all the democrats that have broken the law and not only nothing done to them legally BUT no action in Congress taken against them AND they ran for reelection? And they ran with the full support and backing of the DNC.

I aks again: has the concept of "innocent 'til proven guilty" lost all meaning in this discussion?

I aks again: has the concept of "innocent 'til proven guilty" lost all meaning in this discussion?

I don't know with you, BUT it doesn't mean anything to Truthmatters, Shogun and a host of other liberal posters here. Go read what Care had to say about how Libby not only outed Plume BUT he specifically told the press she was a covert agent AND that his conviction on perjury PROVES Cheney is a traitor.

Perhaps when you start calling some of your liberal allies on the carpet for it, then you may have a leg to stand on when a conservative does it?

I don't know with you, BUT it doesn't mean anything to Truthmatters, Shogun and a host of other liberal posters here. Go read what Care had to say about how Libby not only outed Plume BUT he specifically told the press she was a covert agent AND that his conviction on perjury PROVES Cheney is a traitor.

Perhaps when you start calling some of your liberal allies on the carpet for it, then you may have a leg to stand on when a conservative does it?

I have no intention of calling any liberals on the carpet. I will say that I will not vote for stupid or corrupt liberals in primaries and I will abstain from voting in races where a corrupt democrat is on the ballot.

I am a partisan democrat. I do not consider that to be a crime or anything to be ashamed of. I deeply and fervently believe in the principles embodied in the democratic platform. The day that the platform changes - or the day that I change - I will no longer be a fervent, partisan democrat.

I am a partisan democrat - more partisan than I was in my earlier years - due to my work as the Chief of Staff to the Assistant Senate Majority Leader of the Maine State Senate in the mid-90's. I saw first hand that politics is, first and foremost, a team sport. Your party can have all sorts of good ideas, but you need to be in the majority to accomplish them. And if that means having some folks in your caucus who have some hairbrained ideas on some issues, or who submit some wacky, off-the-wall legislation from time to time - but who vote with you on the key issues that MEAN something, then you hold your nose and be nice to them and have your staffers write constituent letters for them to sign and write their floor speeches for them and do everything short of kissing their ass because having their vote on key issues that impact the lives of lots of people is worth it.

I have no intention of calling any liberals on the carpet. I will say that I will not vote for stupid or corrupt liberals in primaries and I will abstain from voting in races where a corrupt democrat is on the ballot.

I am a partisan democrat. I do not consider that to be a crime or anything to be ashamed of. I deeply and fervently believe in the principles embodied in the democratic platform. The day that the platform changes - or the day that I change - I will no longer be a fervent, partisan democrat.

I am a partisan democrat - more partisan than I was in my earlier years - due to my work as the Chief of Staff to the Assistant Senate Majority Leader of the Maine State Senate in the mid-90's. I saw first hand that politics is, first and foremost, a team sport. Your party can have all sorts of good ideas, but you need to be in the majority to accomplish them. And if that means having some folks in your caucus who have some hairbrained ideas on some issues, or who submit some wacky, off-the-wall legislation from time to time - but who vote with you on the key issues that MEAN something, then you hold your nose and be nice to them and have your staffers write constituent letters for them to sign and write their floor speeches for them and do everything short of kissing their ass because having their vote on key issues that impact the lives of lots of people is worth it.
Considering my natural tendencies towards partisanship myself, I could almost agree with you. My disclaimer would come in cases of national interests. Seems we are way past that here, I've already said such, regarding GW. Guess what, the Dems are creating many more problems, which you are way too bright to have not surmised, but have yet to acknowledge.

Considering my natural tendencies towards partisanship myself, I could almost agree with you. My disclaimer would come in cases of national interests. Seems we are way past that here, I've already said such, regarding GW. Guess what, the Dems are creating many more problems, which you are way too bright to have not surmised, but have yet to acknowledge.

As I have said on many occasions, I think that the Bush foreign policy is nothing short of a train wreck...it is literally driving the bus over the cliff.

Anything that the democrats do to impede the momentum of that bus is a good thing from my perspective.

Honestly Kathianne...I truly believe - deep in my heart and my mind and my soul - that George Bush may have already started us - inexorably and irrevocably - down the slope into Hell itself. Anything done to slow or possibly stop that slide is a patriotic thing.

As I have said on many occasions, I think that the Bush foreign policy is nothing short of a train wreck...it is literally driving the bus over the cliff.

Anything that the democrats do to impede the momentum of that bus is a good thing from my perspective.

Honestly Kathianne...I truly believe - deep in my heart and my mind and my soul - that George Bush may have already started us - inexorably and irrevocably - down the slope into Hell itself. Anything done to slow or possibly stop that slide is a patriotic thing.

Now we can understand the depth of partisanship. With this post, you've made clear that anyone with a 'd' beside their name is given a pass. Anyone with a 'r' is considered to the just right or left of Hitler. Gotcha.

Now we can understand the depth of partisanship. With this post, you've made clear that anyone with a 'd' beside their name is given a pass. Anyone with a 'r' is considered to the just right or left of Hitler. Gotcha.

no. not so. I do not think that all democrats are right nor all republicans wrong. I DO however think that George Bush is "wrong" in such mythic proportions that "wrong" may not even be enough word.

no. not so. I do not think that all democrats are right nor all republicans wrong. I DO however think that George Bush is "wrong" in such mythic proportions that "wrong" may not even be enough word.

And which Democrats are wrong? Whoops, none, just misguided. Ok, through Jefferson under the bus, since he's a goner.

And which Democrats are wrong? Whoops, none, just misguided. Ok, through Jefferson under the bus, since he's a goner.

I am not in the business of denigrating democrats. As I have said repeatedly in the past: I will not vote in a primary for a stupid one or a corrupt one...and I will abstain from voting in any race in the general election if the democrat on the ballot is corrupt. I will say that I have the highest regard for Oly Snowe, Susan Collins, Maggie Smith and Bill Cohen - all Maine republican senators past and present.

I am not in the business of denigrating democrats. As I have said repeatedly in the past: I will not vote in a primary for a stupid one or a corrupt one...and I will abstain from voting in any race in the general election if the democrat on the ballot is corrupt. I will say that I have the highest regard for Oly Snowe, Susan Collins, Maggie Smith and Bill Cohen - all Maine republican senators past and present.

Right, since they are RINOs. Cool for you.

Right, since they are RINOs. Cool for you.

Maggie Smith a RINO? She is, I guess, if your consider Senator McCarthy to be a model republican.

And Collins and Snowe are there with the rest of the R's when it counts for y'all.... except, I guess, if you counted impeaching BIll Clinton for a blow job one of those votes that really counted. Cohen was solid in the R camp right down the line, by the way.

That would be sort of the same as the mainstream muslims keeping their mouth shut and doing nothing about the extremeists isn't it?

That would be sort of the same as the mainstream muslims keeping their mouth shut and doing nothing about the extremeists isn't it?

if democats were advocating the violent overthrow of our government or sedition in any way, I guess it would be.

If pigs had wings, they could fly. what is your point?

Forum List

Back